DRIVING

ginger

^^^ I know it...last weekend 17w was detoured on Kamikazee curve...looked like they were doing work but it also looked like a flatbed planted itself in a cement barrier. Last night...app 10 pm...it was dark, rainy and foggy...I couldn't see any accident but there were maybe 3 sheriff and  4 trooper vehicles parked in a row lights on in the aforementioned section...before you get to Chenango Forks. I thought it was going to be a "papers please" nazi stop.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2020 at 5:07 PM, ginger said:

I'd like to know whose bright idea it was to lay rumble strips and speeds bumps across the the highway on 81 N/S between Castle Creek and Whitney Point. I have to drive up and down that highway almost every day, sometimes twice a day. My tires are going to get shredded, my suspension is going to be shot and my neck can not take that kind of shock. I can't make it to the Whitney Point exit without my head pounding at the base of my skull.

What did I say? I've NEVER had a tire blow out on me until today...I hit one of those speed bumps right before the rise starts on 81 south (Whitney Point) and my rear drivers side blows out. That tire is only a couple of months old. So I break out my tire changing kit, get the car jacked up and....can't get the lug nuts to budge so I call for roadside assistance. They say it'll be an hour, they're sending someone from ITHACA! I go back out and try jumping on the tire iron..still won't budge. Lucky for me, a nice man stopped and he was strong enough to get them loosened and basically, just took over and took care of everything. A trooper came by and threw the old tire in the cargo space for me. Oh but you can be sure he took a good long look at it to see if it was old. I offered the gentleman cash but he refused. I should have argued harder. 

Lucky me I have the night off but I was going to pick up the overnight shift. I guess the man upstairs thinks I should stay home tonight.  Just as well, my back is killing me...speaking of, the trooper also said he can't believe what the DOT is doing to the road...he has to drive over it all day. Here's a thought...how about just reduce the speed limit in that area? 

I usually drink Corona on election day...All I have in the house is Angry Orchard. I'm glad I'm home.

I'm going to start counting the number of tires on the side of the road and take pictures.

I'm sorry I didn't stop to get a photo of this gorgeous wolf/coyote hybrid. It was sunning itself watching the traffic go by in Oneida county. Looked like this but a tad thinner and longer in the face...more like a shepherd. It was really healthy looking. And happy...she looked so happy all stretched out. It's sad I'm seeing so many of them annihilated on the road. Probably chasing the deer.

https://images.app.goo.gl/haAPJa33HX1wvX6M6

Has the entirety of upstate gone mad? I had to run out for work for a few hrs...first I see this huge accident 17 E...the airport exit but it was too dark for me to see what was going on. Then I get an amber alert on my phone for a black Eagle Talon. On my way home another tractor trailer accident. Then for some reason 3 orange cones were tossed about in the middle of the slow lane spaced about 1/4 mile apart...Whitney Point area...that was fun swerving around those...wrenching my back...and now I just got another amber alert for a black Kia Forte. 

5 hours ago, ginger said:

Has the entirety of upstate gone mad? I had to run out for work for a few hrs...first I see this huge accident 17 E...the airport exit but it was too dark for me to see what was going on. Then I get an amber alert on my phone for a black Eagle Talon. On my way home another tractor trailer accident. Then for some reason 3 orange cones were tossed about in the middle of the slow lane spaced about 1/4 mile apart...Whitney Point area...that was fun swerving around those...wrenching my back...and now I just got another amber alert for a black Kia Forte. 

Why would someone send out an Amber Alert at 10PM at night?  Most people are home or sleeping.  And then the follow up was even worse.

It caused me to  turn off Amber Alerts on my phone.  Too bad you can't sent a time range to enable Amber Alerts on your phone.

4 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Only one I knew of happened mid-afternoon when a garbage hauler rolled near exit 71 (Airport Rd), and they had to close the ramp later to remove it.

I found out what it was later on last night. I was told this is the second garbage truck that dumped itself.

7 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Why would someone send out an Amber Alert at 10PM at night?  Most people are home or sleeping.  And then the follow up was even worse.

It caused me to  turn off Amber Alerts on my phone.  Too bad you can't sent a time range to enable Amber Alerts on your phone.

Actually Pete, that second Amber alert came over my phone while I was sitting on the sofa reading my laptop. The Amber Alerts are something new along with now, both my phone and navigation system telling me there is a speed trap ahead. In the past 2.5 years the only thing I was ever notified of was accidents and my car navigation would ask me if I wanted it to reroute.

I saw 2 blown out tractor trailer tires this morning between Whitney Point and Castle Creek. 

I heard the National Guard was in town today at the McDonalds on Front st. 30-40 vehicles..something called a 7 ton? and app 80 soldiers. Anyone know what that was all about? I'm told it was a very impressive showing and made the civilians proud to be Americans. Of course there had to be one loser who yelled "Go Biden" at them. 

Sunday morning my back and neck were killing me so I took route 11 from Cortland to Castle Creek. Pretty drive...I was glad the leaves were mostly off the trees so I could scope out the most charming Tioughnioga River. The people who live on the route must be especially attached to their land as I only saw one property for sale. I probably will not drive the entire length again until spring however, after this afternoon I'm going to have to use the route the distance from Castle creek to Whitney Point. The things they are doing to that part of the highway are killing me and my car. I've been driving up and down that highway for three years. There was nothing wrong with that road and now I feel like this...

Speaking of driving to Syracuse last night...GREAT JOB PLOW DRIVERS!!!

On my way up, 81 was messy, The drive back, the roads were completely clear...almost dry even.

Finally I can sit down and have a bite to eat. Dumb question that the internet doesn't seem to have a good answer to...It used to be if you saw an injured deer you could dispatch with it if you were going to take it home with you for food. This past week I happened upon 2 deer in the middle of the night. I don't think I was in an area that would be considered "city limits". They were in the middle of the road and clearly suffering but it was not my impression they were going to die anytime soon unless a tractor trailer decided to put them out of their misery. I called 911 and told them the situation and they said they'd send someone but I'm out in the middle of the country and didn't see any law enforcement all night so how long before they find them?

As you all know I don't carry in the car because I don't feel like explaining myself when I get pulled over...it takes too much time but darned if this week I wished I had been prepared. What I'm not prepared to do is take the animal home. If I shot it I could throw on a pair of gloves and move it out of the road...if it isn't too huge. Is there any kind of permit you can get to deal with situations like that? Obviously I don't need a permit to carry a rifle...I mean a permit to actually take care of the situation.

:) I know it. I was discussing this with a coworker who carries...he said recently he stopped to move a dead deer out of a road and it was completely infested with fleas and ticks. He said STAY AWAY!!! 

I just can't stand to see an animal suffer like that....knowing another vehicle might add to it...I saw a coyote over the weekend...the injury was horrible and you know it didn't die right away.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised and grateful...the people I meet while travelling are awesome...never a problem. I'm also glad law enforcement across the state appears to be teaming up better.

I had a nice surprise over the weekend. I was driving downstate on 17 and there was a Christmas tree laying in the middle of the road. A truck had stopped so I thought it fell out of their truck so I swerved around it an went on my way. On my way back...I'm always on the lookout for deer...The tree had been moved off to the side of the road. I took the next exit, doubled back and threw the tree in my car. It's not huge...just under 6 feet. 

Last year I threw away my 7.5 foot artificial tree. I had that tree for over 20 years. I bought it at Sears for $200.00 so I definitely got my money's worth. In fact it still looked great in spite of losing so many needles over the years. Most strangers always thought it was a real tree. These past 2 years I'd been looking for a replacement but didn't find one as nice as the one I had.

It's been decades since I've had a real tree. I thought I was going to put up my artificial white tree again. I have it on my deck soaking in a bucket of water. I'm not sure when I'm going to bring it in. I'm wondering how miss itty bitty will react...she loves climbing and sleeping in or under the tree.

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is creepy... I just stopped at a rest stop. Every night this rest stop is jam packed with tractor trailers. Its snowing, this place should be packed.THERE ISN'T ONE TRUCK OR CAR HERE.

1 hour ago, ginger said:

Ok, this is creepy... I just stopped at a rest stop. Every night this rest stop is jam packed with tractor trailers. Its snowing, this place should be packed.THERE ISN'T ONE TRUCK OR CAR HERE.

Ginger, you know rest areas are homosexual hangouts. Highway rest areas, they're the bath houses of the 90's for many, many, many, many gay men. 

5 hours ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

Ginger, you know rest areas are homosexual hangouts. Highway rest areas, they're the bath houses of the 90's for many, many, many, many gay men. 

Oh. That must be why I never get hit on...except that one time a couple of weeks ago during the snowstorm when I was stranded... :) lol...  27 I kind of remember that being the case back in 80's and 90's. I think I've been to every rest stop in upstate NY...I have never seen anything like that. For a time, at one stop, there appeared to be a pimp and prostitute that were parked there every day. At the types of spots..like Pilot or your McDonalds/fuel station stops I've seen that too.

Everyone I do see are working people...truck drivers sleeping in their trucks and women like me who have to stop for the restroom, coffee, a quick nap then get back on the road. I've never been approached by anyone. Of course a few of the stops have a State Trooper presence so you don't expect any kind of trouble.

Maybe I'll start a rating the rest areas...cleanliness, safety, quality of bath tissue and soap. Paper towels!!!

Toup, nobody was there...no footprints in the snow...it was shocking because usually I have to thread my way past the trucks who park in front because all of the spots are taken. I actually worry about some of those drivers...they leave their engines running for hours. I don't understand how they don't get carbon monoxide poisoning.

3 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Yikes...that just creeps me out.

You'd be surprised how many people sleep on the road. On any given night at any rest stop..at least half a dozen cars and the truck parking spots are all filled. They really need to do something about the coffee situation. You can't get a decent cup of coffee ANYWHERE on I90. I think there's something wrong with the water.