Vestal Residents Apparently Conspired in Political Corruption Incited by Ex Supervisor John Schaffer

In June, 2023 after years of complaining that the town had ignored her concerns, Mary O'Malley worked diligently to unseat Vestal Town Supervisor John Schaffer and replace him with challenger Maria Sexton in that month's Primary election. What she did not know was that Schaffer allegedly was exploiting the very people against whom she had complained, urging them to violate her privacy and have her charged with a crime she'd not committed, all for his own political gain, and Maple Street residents proved to be the most willing and enthusiastic of sheep... On June 6th, O'Malley's neighbors waited for her to go to work then attempted to gain entry to her home by apparently trying the locks on her doors; upon confirming she was not home they then released her dog from the backyard where it had been safely confined and initiated a call to Vestal police to have her charged with dog-at-large. On police bodycam footage obtained by O'Malley after the incident and posted here, the officer arrives and confronts residents Kim Katsares whose family has a long history of trespassing on O'Malley's property, and Susan Bernardini who has committed no less than 30 incidents of video-documented dog-at-large violations directly in front of O'Malley's home and in her front yard, all of which the town has ignored. Upon his arrival, the two women instruct the officer that O'Malley's dog needs to be killed, telling him, "The dog needs to be put down… it’s very vicious - she’s trained it that way (video timer 1:06 -1:19). The women also express fear that the school bus is coming and imply that the dog may maul children. Bernardini adds that O'Malley's dog has committed three bites, but neither woman produce any evidence in support. To the contrary, the dog runs around for another 40 minutes encountering a total of 7 people all who feed her peanut butter and treats and none to whom she demonstrates any aggression whatsoever. Rather, the only aggressors appear to be the neighbors: Under duress and repeated questioning, Katsares admits to the officer that she has again trespassed onto O'Malley's property and even tried to gain entry, stating, "Her doors are not unlocked" (video 1:24). She then appears to quickly justify, adding, "Mr. Schaffer is very familiar with her... Schaffer asked us to report every problem we have with her because she's such a nutcase," (video 6:42 - 7:23). Bernardini then demonstrates to what degree Schaffer has his thumb on the scale and the range of his grasp. She admits she'd been provided with his personal phone number (video 2:08), both women proceed to call him, Schaffer allegedly demands the officer's name and Katsares provides it (video 6:40). The officer then corrals the dog, returns to the town hall, a summons is issued and O'Malley is promptly charged with the crime. It's interesting to note, that neighbors try to claim that O'Malley's dog simply jumped over her back porch fence despite knowing that THEY THEMSELVES inflicted the injury which causes her to lack the agility required for that. On March 9, 2023 O'Malley and her dog walked on leash on the public street while Bernardini's dog ran at-large coming off the Rail Trail (illegal conduct Bernardini admits to at 5:40 in the video). The dog attacked O'Malley and her dog while Peter Bernardini added harm to injury by kicking O'Malley's dog hard, in the left rear hip. Vet bills totaled over $240 and O'Malley immediately reported the incident to Vestal Dog Control. The DCO then proceeded to violate federal, state and local laws by ignoring the incident entirely, specifically by:. 1) failing to remove the attacking animal for temporary observation, 2) failing to perform a full and lawful investigation 3) failing to observe O'Malleys Constitutional right to Due Process by scheduling a court hearing to determine the potentially dangerous status of the dog for public safety. Bernardini never apologized nor offered any compensation for the intentional pain and suffering he had caused the dog. Finally, as the officer is seen walking down O'Malley's driveway to return the dog to her yard, the back gate is closed (video 22:11). He swings it open and it stays open; there is no automatic closing mechanism. This last puzzle piece clarifies this entire event: neighbors apparently entered onto O'Malley's property, tested the back door, learned no one was home, opened the back gate, let the dog out, closed the gate and returned to the street taking the same route this officer is seen taking - going through the adjacent neighbor's backyard to avoid detection by O'Malley's cameras. The conspiracy to collude is complete. Partly due to the exculpatory content seen here (which Town Attorney David Berger failed to reveal under Attny Rules of Ethical Conduct) this case was dismissed on Feb 27, 2024. O'Malley is now proceeding to court against participants in this illicit act to address the seemingly intentional nature of the harassment they perpetrated.

Why would they call the police and Schaffer both? It seems like they just wanted a police report, to discredit the dog owner if she was campaigning against Schaffer. And why are they trying to get into her house?  Even if someone's dog is loose, you can't just go trying to open the doors to their house.  I have to agree with Mary, it does seem like they're trying to discredit her politically, by calling the police on her. 

I can not even fathom people who behave like this. NOBODY on my street would even dream of tresspassing on their neighbors property.

I've lived in this house 24 years. My neighbor was here 20 years before me. I've told her dozens of times she doesn't need permission to come over and prune her roses or rhododendrons. She STILL knocks on the door for permission. 

The date on the video is 6/6/23, three weeks before the primary election when Schaffer lost to Sexton.  This was a setup between Schaffer and those hillbilly women to attack Mary O'Malley.  The proof is in the video when one of the hillbillies had to immediately call Schaffer to update him on the response of Officer Taber. The hillbillies admitted they tried to get into Mary's house.  If they did that to me, I'd have them arrested. 

This is alarming on many levels.  You have a resident who is critical of the former Supervisor (who was still in office) having her rights violated by people who are in touch with the Supervisor.  They go as far as to trespass on her property and try to enter her house.  I've known John Schaffer for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he told the women to try to get into the house.  

These women are disgusting and are willingly being used by Stephen Donnelly and John Schaffer. If you go to Donnelly‘s Facebook page, he’s always reposting the woman in the police video body cam’s Facebook posts “Susan”z

John Schaffer is wrong for what he’s doing. It also raises a question about the big rumor in Vestal according to the town minutes from two weeks ago that a board member broke into a town employees office without their knowledge to obtain a code, sounds like Schaffer may be using Donnelly to do his dirty work.

Remember Schaffer endorsed Korchak and Mara Grace, both losing candidates. 

These two women in the body cam video have nothing better to do and shame for the town for not going hard on these women. They are soo delusional they name dropped Schaffers name, and they think that makes them somehow invincible. Bunch of idiots 

8 hours ago, vestalguest said:

The date on the video is 6/6/23, three weeks before the primary election when Schaffer lost to Sexton.  This was a setup between Schaffer and those hillbilly women to attack Mary O'Malley.  The proof is in the video when one of the hillbillies had to immediately call Schaffer to update him on the response of Officer Taber. The hillbillies admitted they tried to get into Mary's house.  If they did that to me, I'd have them arrested. 

100%. Did you hear about a board member who broke into a town employees locked office? It was mentioned in the minutes from the last board meeting and the board member stole a code. Seems like Schaffer is using a board member for his advantage. 

On 3/5/2024 at 6:59 PM, ABB7 said:

Why would they call the police and Schaffer both? It seems like they just wanted a police report, to discredit the dog owner if she was campaigning against Schaffer. And why are they trying to get into her house?  Even if someone's dog is loose, you can't just go trying to open the doors to their house.  I have to agree with Mary, it does seem like they're trying to discredit her politically, by calling the police on her. 

The dog was contained. These nasty women trespassed onto the person’s property and will fill unlock the door, so the dog would run around, and the dog is very tame.

The woman on the right in the video her name is Susan and she’s obsessed with Schaefer and she thinks if she names drop him that gives her some sort of credibility. Lol the guy is a has been.