what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

Guest Guest guest
Does anyone remember in the place in West Corners that was between the old Pharmacy and Reliable market? It was a dairy bar and I used to love to go there...it was sandwiched between the 2 buildings in the late 60's early 70's. Now it is a parking lot for Shellys meat market.

And whoever mentioned the old Topper bar, I remember walking by that every day when i was little on my way to school. That was way before the fire station was there.

Also by the original Giant there was Hanafins pharmacy. Does anyone remember that?

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was 3 Sons dairy bar owned by the Petrolavich family or C&R reality, before that there was a Richardson Root Beer stand that sold frozen Milk Shake candy Bars.

The Reliable Market was first in a small store next door to the Highway Home and Auto Center.

The Day Hollow Inn was on the corner of rt26 and day Hollow Rd., behind it was a trailer park with acompnay that made rungs for ladders facing rt26, Toppers was across from the old fire station

I don't remember that the Little Venice was across from the theaters. It was one owned by Bob Crockenburg but I can't remember the name.

The old Little Venice was right next door from Weeks and Dickenson music store (another business that is gone), across the street was the Stand and Rivera movie theaters and the Mohigan market. Actually the old Little Venice was quite a hangout for high school kids in the 60's. Somewhat like Pancho's Pit was for high school kids in the 70's.

The Columbia Gas offices were north of Week's and Dickenson and the buildings south were demoloshed including the restaurant. I'm thinking now that it was "Delano's". My best friend and I would stop there every day coming home from school. Her mother worked there and we would sit in the back booth and have a cherry coke.

I used to work for Sugermans. I loved that store.

I worked there too... managed the music department. It was owned by a Greek named Serge who operated out of the big store in Eynon, PA. I loved that job! I had a couple of high school "rock stars" from Vestal who worked nights for me, who's gonads I always busted. We had three "pickle jars" of guitar picks labeled "soft, medium, and hard". Once a week, I'd tell them I needed an inventory count on all three for the next day, and go home laughing thinking about these two nimrods counting guitar picks all night. They were pretty cool, I think they made up the numbers!

Guest Old School
I worked there too... managed the music department. It was owned by a Greek named Serge who operated out of the big store in Eynon, PA. I loved that job! I had a couple of high school "rock stars" from Vestal who worked nights for me, who's gonads I always busted. We had three "pickle jars" of guitar picks labeled "soft, medium, and hard". Once a week, I'd tell them I needed an inventory count on all three for the next day, and go home laughing thinking about these two nimrods counting guitar picks all night. They were pretty cool, I think they made up the numbers!
Sugerman's was the best place for pre-school shopping. As the middle of seven, most of my clothing was "hand me downs" until I could afford my own. Once a year, we would pile into the station wagon (don't get stuck on the hump) for the trip to Scranton. One new pair of jeans(Wranglers were cheaper then, vs. the Lees or Levi's) would supplement the clothing issued from older siblings. @Christmas, Sox and underwear purchased from Eynon Drug rounded out the one good sport or musical present you'd get. My Dad was pretty savvy. Every year one kid would get a bat, a glove, a baseball, a basketball, or a football. Good thinking, cause the youngest entering li'l league already has a glove broken in on the first day of tryouts. My Mom would insist that limited finances directed @ sporting goods should be redirected to getting the piano tuned. My best birthday present ever was a football helmet, shoulder pads, football pants with pockets for hip and knee pads(included), for the sum of 4$. They were put to good use, by me and my younger brother. The piano waited another year, until we could buy guitars with our own money. To this day, I issue sox and underwear stamped "irregular" @ Christmas to my family to preserve our heritage.

Seriously...did you play something back then?

I played guitar. Took lessons originally from a Juilliard graduate on the Parkway in Vestal...I think his first name was Mark, he was great! While I had to work hard, it just came natural to him!. I had a small collection of classics that I sold off in the early years to support my family. I sold a white "strat", a Les Paul with a pearl engraved fretboard, A pre CBS 1964 amp that screetched to holy heaven, and my beloved Martin 12 string. I kept an Epiphone NV485 dreadnaught, probably only worth about $500 bucks nowdays, tune her up ("A" pitchfork), every couple of weeks. A great bass box and my pugs like to hear Beatles tunes!

@

Sugerman's was the best place for pre-school shopping. As the middle of seven, most of my clothing was "hand me downs" until I could afford my own. Once a year, we would pile into the station wagon (don't get stuck on the hump) for the trip to Scranton. One new pair of jeans(Wranglers were cheaper then, vs. the Lees or Levi's) would supplement the clothing issued from older siblings. @Christmas, Sox and underwear purchased from Eynon Drug rounded out the one good sport or musical present you'd get. My Dad was pretty savvy. Every year one kid would get a bat, a glove, a baseball, a basketball, or a football. Good thinking, cause the youngest entering li'l league already has a glove broken in on the first day of tryouts. My Mom would insist that limited finances directed @ sporting goods should be redirected to getting the piano tuned. My best birthday present ever was a football helmet, shoulder pads, football pants with pockets for hip and knee pads(included), for the sum of 4$. They were put to good use, by me and my younger brother. The piano waited another year, until we could buy guitars with our own money. To this day, I issue sox and underwear stamped "irregular" @ Christmas to my family to preserve our heritage.

Great post ... you must have grew up in my neighborhood. I was the middle of five, my sympathy...you have outdone me and made me laugh with the "irregular stamp"! It was that little plastic tape affixed to the garmet.

When did you work there? I worked there a short while, from summer 1978 to about spring 1979.

I'll bet you're regretting that.

Of course I am. I remember the Burns sisters popping in with their entourage in the mid seventies, buying "ball jacks" for their guitars. They acted like they were the Wilson sisters...Anne and Nancy. Talented, but not even close! I had to chuckle.

'75 to '80! There was a tall slim brunette, with thick, full lips that worked in the clothing department, that I absolutely adored. That's not you is it???

No, I worked in the warehouse on the non-clothing side. Didn't deal with too many on the clothing side. All I can recall is one gal named Cathy H and a brunette, but I do not think it was who you are thinking of, as I don't recall tall/slim.

Was the music department behind the photo-department? Or was it in front of it between the photo and the cafe? I can't quite recall where where it was.

Archived