what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest old Bingo

This post is really a downer- All these great names from Binghamtons past---such a formerly nice place to grow up has turned into a refuge for NYC hoodlums.

Nobody has mentioned the Mahogany Room in the Binghamton Plaza-

I used to walk back and forth from Grants to The Grandway and always wondered what it was like in there- the lava lamp in the front window told it all.

I never did go in there :(

Lilliana's on the corner of Thorpe and Edwards Street in Binghamton. If you were underage and wanted to buy beer that was the place to go in the 80's and 90's. The cars packed with teenagers were literally lined up on Friday and Saturday nights. Before Al and Lilliana bought the store it was D&S Grocery and before that it was Stanley's. I'm not sure who owns it now or what it's called, but that little store has a lot of Binghamton History associated with it. I'm not saying it's a great history, but history nonetheless.

wicks and sticks.... just kidding

Risky business..... just kidding

Squiggys.... just kidding

Zares

Ames

the video store at wegmans

fireside bar on washington ave

endwell pub

burger king and mcdonalds in the mall

shatz

leatherbound

up all night video

key bank

roaring fork

flying machine

ice house

empire club

wilsons leather

kidplay usa

Masharellis market (forgive the spelling) on susqhanna street!! loved all the Italian specialties and the meats and cheeses!

The pepperonis was hanging above the meat counter with the aged prevolonne, there isnt any place like it in the tripple cities anymore. Love the aroma as you walked in the door snd on thursdays they had homade glazed donuts that were about four inches around for 15 cents, Those were the days! The best sausage and coldcuts arouind!

I remember the ladies behind the meat counter with their bee-hive hair-dos and their cat glasses with sequins on them. Plus - I believe, the owner - who had old photos of the Bataan Death March on the wall at the check out cash register.

Northside Market on Chenango St, Binghamton. I grew up near it. Had a great candy selection, and a couple of coin operated video games. Spent alot of my childhood hanging out there.

Lilliana's on the corner of Thorpe and Edwards Street in Binghamton. If you were underage and wanted to buy beer that was the place to go in the 80's and 90's. The cars packed with teenagers were literally lined up on Friday and Saturday nights. Before Al and Lilliana bought the store it was D&S Grocery and before that it was Stanley's. I'm not sure who owns it now or what it's called, but that little store has a lot of Binghamton History associated with it. I'm not saying it's a great history, but history nonetheless.

I remember @ Stanley's, there was an old man everyone called Uncle Charlie. He used to talk to everyone about his tomato plants. Not sure why I remember this because I was only between 5-7 yrs old. I guess because he was a such a nice man. Anyone else remember him? BTW-I loved Stanley's pizza too!

It was later Szechuan/Hunan Taste.

That is correct. It was a REAL Chinese restaurant, not a buffet.

Mr. Kao came up from DC where he had a restaurant. The competition was much tougher down there and he saw a market here.

His was consistently the best Chinese food this area has ever seen.

I remember @ Stanley's, there was an old man everyone called Uncle Charlie. He used to talk to everyone about his tomato plants. Not sure why I remember this because I was only between 5-7 yrs old. I guess because he was a such a nice man. Anyone else remember him? BTW-I loved Stanley's pizza too!

HOLY COW! I remember Uncle Charlie. He used to sit in that chair all the time. Yeah, a nice old guy. Remember Stanley's crazy son, Avok? Avok was always causing trouble and Stanley was always yelling at him. I remember buying baseball cards at Stanley's when I was a kid in the 70's. Too bad what has happened to that store and the neighborhood. People today might have a hard time believing this, but Thorpe Street never used to be as bad as it is now. There was a time there were a lot of nice, hard working people on that street. The problem is they all died off and then the slumlords took over.

burger king and mcdonalds in the mall

Does anyone remember the OLD Burger King in the mall? When I was a kid, I loved how it was set up. There was a seating section in the middle that was raised and circular, and was covered overhead. Sort of like a gazebo, I guess. I was very young at the time so that's the best I can do to describe it. I didn't like the new Burger King. It looked so sterile in comparison. Plus, at some point people just went there to smoke since it was the only place in the mall where they could do so. If you were a non-smoker like me, it was pretty yucky in there.

@

Does anyone remember the OLD Burger King in the mall? When I was a kid, I loved how it was set up. There was a seating section in the middle that was raised and circular, and was covered overhead. Sort of like a gazebo, I guess. I was very young at the time so that's the best I can do to describe it. I didn't like the new Burger King. It looked so sterile in comparison. Plus, at some point people just went there to smoke since it was the only place in the mall where they could do so. If you were a non-smoker like me, it was pretty yucky in there.

@

Yeah, I remember the one in the mall. I remember when the first one opened on Upper Front St. and we thought it was the greatest thing. My parents took us there when I was around 8 years old. It was only the second fast food place around and it was mobbed for two months. I remember him taking me to Henry's Hamburgers too. We used to throw french fries out the car window to the birds. Carroll's on Upper Court was pretty good too. I still have about 50 of those Looney Tunes glasses they gave out.

Yeah, I remember the one in the mall. I remember when the first one opened on Upper Front St. and we thought it was the greatest thing. My parents took us there when I was around 8 years old. It was only the second fast food place around and it was mobbed for two months. I remember him taking me to Henry's Hamburgers too. We used to throw french fries out the car window to the birds. Carroll's on Upper Court was pretty good too. I still have about 50 of those Looney Tunes glasses they gave out.

these sites don't list a Henry's in binghamton, but those signs look familiar.

http://www.michigandriveins.com/henryshamburgers.asp

http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhib..._way/henrys.htm

If I'm not mistaken, Henry's became Carroll's. For a good many years Burger King was incorporated as Carroll's.

these sites don't list a Henry's in binghamton, but those signs look familiar.

http://www.michigandriveins.com/henryshamburgers.asp

http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhib..._way/henrys.htm

If I'm not mistaken, Henry's became Carroll's. For a good many years Burger King was incorporated as Carroll's.

Henry's and Carroll's were two seperate companies. Carroll's was owned by Herb Slotnik out of Syracuse. He bought into the Burger King franchises and now Carroll's is the second largest franchise owner of BK's. They are still based out of Syracuse and have another 2 or 3 different restaurant chains incorporated within them.

Dan

Been through all 15 pages and have not seen anyone mention "House of Yu" on the Parkway. I lived in the Colomial Motel when SUNY B leased it for housing and that place was ROCKING every weekend. Somebody on this board had to have been a regular there!

Been through all 15 pages and have not seen anyone mention "House of Yu" on the Parkway. I lived in the Colomial Motel when SUNY B leased it for housing and that place was ROCKING every weekend. Somebody on this board had to have been a regular there!

I played in a band at "Menopause Manor". I was there.

I can't help but remember "parents without partners" night at the House of Yu. I think it was like Tuesday's. I was a young man back then, and me and my buddies would go and hit on women at least 10 years our elder. I swear we had so much fun.

Steele's, House of Yu, R Place

For the poster who didn't see House of Yu mentioned...I found it. ^^^

Thought I'd remembered seeing it from mo's ago.

[ETA]

I thought of one the other day, while driving on Main St...The Little European Restaurant.

Man, they had good breakfasts and Greek food there, and it was dirt cheap!!!

@

OMG... you're kidding me? You didn't want to sit down on anything in there until you sanitized it. It reminded me of Rush Street in Chicago in the early seventies. Everything was sticky!

Hey, now...don't be dissing Swat's!!!

Frankly, I'd've thought stickiness would've been a drawing card for you. :lol:

Hey, now...don't be dissing Swat's!!!

Frankly, I'd've thought stickiness would've been a drawing card for you. :lol:

Yeah, we visited Swat's a lot of times, but contrary to popular opinion, we never ventured across the street to the "Art Theater"... I didn't have a raincoat!

Archived