what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

Normans on Alice St. Great place to get groceries

Yeah, that was a great place. A big dirty unsanitary warehouse full of cut-rate food. I can remember going there with my parents and seeing skids of food with stray cats climbing on it, bugs on the floor, garbage in the aisles, just totally gross stuff. And Norman DELETED used to sell stuff that was stolen. He would get trailers of stuff from the mob and unload it in his dump for a quick buck. What a scumbag. I'm glad that places like that are gone.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that was a great place. A big dirty unsanitary warehouse full of cut-rate food. I can remember going there with my parents and seeing skids of food with stray cats climbing on it, bugs on the floor, garbage in the aisles, just totally gross stuff. And Norman DELETED used to sell stuff that was stolen. He would get trailers of stuff from the mob and unload it in his dump for a quick buck. What a scumbag. I'm glad that places like that are gone.

While I wouldn't exactly say that Norman's was sparkling...I never saw cats or bugs crawling around in the store. <_<

I do, however, remember, the AWESOME prices on frozen shrimp my Mom found, and I then joyfully experienced.

Nothing like being the youngest, and therefore last kid left in the house, and being treated to a giant Shrimp Cocktail for dinner!!!

Of course, later we found out Norman had to spend some time away from home for that particular bargain.

@

Charlie Chips home delivery.

In the big cans??? I remember those! What about Eagle Soda home delivery? Oh, the orange and cream sodas were heavenly!

@

the raven pub!!!!! the ice house took its place like 15 years back but that place was the best, the halloween partys the owner threw were best

@

I'm a transplant from down south...but I remember if it wasn't for Philly Sales my daughter wouldn't have had a Christmas the first year she and I moved up here. I miss Great American too. And a little bar that had great bands on Henry Street(?) Good Time Charlies

I grew up during the 80's and 90's, so my fond memories are of old stores that used to be in the mall. I miss the Great American Cookie Co., Barbara Moss, Everything Yogurt, the nature store (I think it was called Nature's Touch?), Coffee Beanery, and Villa Pizza, which I miss like crazy!! I also miss the giant fountain that used to be in center court. I would throw pennies in there as a young kid.

Grover's Pig Stand on Upper Court St.

Chumley's across from the IBM Country Club.

Dragon Palace in Endwell

Conover's on Upper Court St.

Zevan's

Wagon Wheel

Pa's Wood Shed

Woody's Record store

Woolworth's

W.T. Grants

Grand Way

Family Bargain Center

Sears on Court St.

Celeste Tavern

Ralph's Place in Windsor

Holcomb's Hotel in Windsor

Ma Turners in Windsor

Mike and Louies in West Endicott

Airport Drive-In

Front Street Drive-In

Vestal Drive-In

Parson's Ford

I really miss Phillies on Clinton St.

I was in Target the other night, and the popcorn smell gave me a flashback, although I read that the actual Phillies popcorn machine is now at Windy Hill Candle Factory.

I'm glad someone mentioned Masciarelli's Market...that place was awesome!!! Seasoned pork roasts...mmmmmmmm.

I know there are others I'm missing, but I just can't think of them now.

Larry told me it's not the ACTUAL popcorn machine from Philly Sales, but one almost Identical. And I've known Larry for years so I doubt he would lie to me about it-I believe the way the popcorn is made (the oil etc) is really what he meant by it being the actual popcorn from Philly Sales.

Cahill Office Supply

Strand Theater

Riviera Theater

Capri Theater

Carvel Ice Cream

The Pewter Pint

Morey's

Lou Rappaport's House of A Thousand Items

IBM Country Club

Scoville Ford

Haidenger Ford

The Wigwam

Hi-Way Fruit in Vestal

Lum's

Schrafft's which became

The Ramada Inn

Sheraton Inn

Sammy's Bar on Upper Court St.

Peleggi's Restaurant next door to Sammy's.

Wilson's store on west side, forgot street, little yellow building off Leroy St., by Bennett Ave.

The Escape

JJ's Fruit Market

Robert Hall's

Archived