what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charms Boutique

I'd forgotten about that place, and rightly so! But now that you have jogged my memories I do recall Charms on Washington Street. That sick bastard who owned the place what was his name Harold? I bet that pervert accosted half the teenage girls and for that matter anything else living (or dead for less than three days!) who might have fallen victim to his depravity within the confines of his boutique! Of course back in the 70s it was not the crime that it is these days, merely an inconvenience!

Guest Guest

Having been a JC resident since the late 50s. I remember The Amsterdam being a bar in JC and I am now trying to recall where exactly it was..... anyone?

40 Willow St., right next to the old police station - across from the Mekon Vietnamese restaurant.

Of course, it's all rubble now... http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011110621007

40 Willow St., right next to the old police station - across from the Mekon Vietnamese restaurant.

Of course, it's all rubble now... http://www.pressconn...D=2011110621007

Thanks... I drove by it today (the rubble) and tried to recall what the name was of the Hotel that used to be at that location. I have memories of visiting my friends grandfather on his death bed there way back in the early 60s!

Guest Guess

Thanks... I drove by it today (the rubble) and tried to recall what the name was of the Hotel that used to be at that location. I have memories of visiting my friends grandfather on his death bed there way back in the early 60s!

I believe it was the Grandview Hotel.

Guest Guest

I'd forgotten about that place, and rightly so! But now that you have jogged my memories I do recall Charms on Washington Street. That sick bastard who owned the place what was his name Harold? I bet that pervert accosted half the teenage girls and for that matter anything else living (or dead for less than three days!) who might have fallen victim to his depravity within the confines of his boutique! Of course back in the 70s it was not the crime that it is these days, merely an inconvenience!

Harold Paddock. Just saw his name in the deed transfers recently.

Guest Guest

Corner of harry l and (I think) its lester ave. I dont remember the cross st. exactly.

Wasn't that the Dutchess? I thought the Amsterdam was just down the street from the now-razed former police station??

Guest Guest

Wasn't that the Dutchess? I thought the Amsterdam was just down the street from the now-razed former police station??

It was next to the now razed police station and is now also razed.

Guest Guest

Will Ponderosa Steakhouses be making this list in the near future??

From what the staff has been telling us -- -- -- Guess OCB has them beat.

Guest Guest

Montgomery Ward, W.T. Grants, Sears downtown, Grand Way, Carrol's on Upper Court St., Mama Lena's, Wagon Wheel, Scratchy's, Jungle Club, Cloverleaf, O'Brien's Danceland, Freddy's, Ma Turner's, Windsor Court Inn, Holcomb's Hotel, Ralph's Place, Mike and Louies, Dragon Palace to name a few.

Taylors Tiny Town mini-golf in Vestal, Riverhouse lanes, Airport Drive-In, the L.I.E., Howards Florist in Vestal, Klines in Endicott, Aladdin's Castle at the Mall (and in Vestal).... Galaxy Arcade, Northgate Speedway, IBM Family Field Days...... The Pepper Mill restaurant..... Nick's Pier 7 seafood, Russell's Steakhouse, The Plantation House, the old Chuck E Cheese in JC, Larry's Pool Supplies (had cheap stuff...)....

Some l-o-l mentionables - Centerfold's in Binghamton, Bottoms Up in Endicott and the good old Banner Motel!

Guest Guest

Taylors Tiny Town mini-golf in Vestal, Riverhouse lanes, Airport Drive-In, the L.I.E., Howards Florist in Vestal, Klines in Endicott, Aladdin's Castle at the Mall (and in Vestal).... Galaxy Arcade, Northgate Speedway, IBM Family Field Days...... The Pepper Mill restaurant..... Nick's Pier 7 seafood, Russell's Steakhouse, The Plantation House, the old Chuck E Cheese in JC, Larry's Pool Supplies (had cheap stuff...)....

Some l-o-l mentionables - Centerfold's in Binghamton, Bottoms Up in Endicott and the good old Banner Motel!

Sounds like you are in your mid to late 30's, maybe older like myself? Am I close?

I miss Service Merchandise and Present Company for some odd reason!

• 1 month later...
Guest bakes

<!--quoteo(post=271214:date=Jan 6 2009, 10:50 PM:name=Pink)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pink @ Jan 6 2009, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I used to work for Sugermans. I loved that store.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I worked there too... managed the music department. It was owned by a Greek named Serge who operated out of the big store in Eynon, PA. I loved that job! I had a couple of high school "rock stars" from Vestal who worked nights for me, who's gonads I always busted. We had three "pickle jars" of guitar picks labeled "soft, medium, and hard". Once a week, I'd tell them I needed an inventory count on all three for the next day, and go home laughing thinking about these two nimrods counting guitar picks all night. They were pretty cool, I think they made up the numbers!

Heh - I was in the photo department with the Two Charlies for a while in the mid 1980s. Used to climb up to the top of the photo department storeroom and spy on customers and coworkers.

Other places:

Automation Services Inc. - IBM subcontactor by the underpass in JC near Philly's. Main plant was in Windsor.

Gordon's Newsstand in JC next to the Bates Troy drycleaner in the former...

Joseph Laurer Brewing Co. building.

Archived