what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mitchethekid

The 1st salad bar was at The Villa. The Alamo came after. The Villa was in that old gravel pit across from Stars. Trust me on the accuracy of my statements. The resturant next to BCHS mentioned earlier was the hang out of the long haired kids. (I can't remember the name either) but the couple who ran it never smiled and looked like strung out...gaunt. The had great brownies. Kerns Hobbies. Westons. Meyers Furriers. Drazens. Sissons. McLeans. Mr. Sid. The Mr.Peanut Shop. Lescron Books. The Hub. The Ritz Tea Room. The Strand, Reviera, The Capitol and The Art Theaters. (Debut of Deep Throat!) The Fountains with the Polinesian Room. The Establishment. The Inferno. The Beaugart, The Bachelor Button and the Carlton. Amps! Mac's Mufflers. The original Panchos Pit located in the guy's garage in Appalachain.

Someone mentioned Coco's. I have alot of the original Surgio Bustemante sculptures in my house. The tiger head is my favorite. The glass work is in The Plantation House. My last comment is about Philla Sales. I worked there in the early 70's as a stock boy. Alan Jablon was my neighbor. Steve Stein fired me (for a few days) because I ate a candy bar that was in a half- empty box of them. He got on the phone to Alan and said "we are being robbed" and I looked around for the dastardly criminals. He was talking about me!!

Guest trivia freak

Kerns Hobbies on Court St. where the bankis next to the riverwalk.Talbot's icecream store,Wittig's(home of the Awful-Awful milkshake.The Sansaveria bar on Clinton St.t,cross from St. Mikes church. They never had barstools at the bar.Going way back for this one,Caciolas candy store on Clinton St.Zevan'sAKA"THE ZOO",Clinton and Mygatt St.The Little Jewel on Conklin Rd.. The International Liquor store on Court St. ,where we used to go and buy Orange Mist and Orange Maid pre mixed screwdrivers ,then stick em in the snow for a bit to chill them. Then chug em down and go to the Assumption dance in the basement of the church. The temp was normally bout a 100 degrees and you'd be smashed in about 10 minutes. AH, the good old days.

Guest Guest 53

In JC on the corner of Arch Street the HI Fi records store, had a huge display of the bobbling Beatle heads when Meet the Beatles came out. Very cool

I remember it well! They had great penny candy selection. And when I got older I remember scrounging up a $1.05 to buy a pack of cigs, ahhh those were the days!

Unfortunately they didn't have a very good carding system back then! ;) I was 13 and buying smokes and candy! (they were .90 then)

Guest Guest
Grants

Swats

that place on the Vestal Parkway with the first salad bar?

I don't know about Grants. Was it really one of your favorites? I dunno, it really wasn't anything special at all, just a generic department store of the time.

Guest mitchethekid

Hi Fi records in JC!!! I was in there a few day's after Abbey Road was released and the owners mom was playing the record for the 1st time and when the song "I want you" abruptly ends she thought the record player had broken!

A precursor the the end of the Soparanos.

Since this is such a fun thread I will mention some other names. Mitch. Shirley. Guido. Lenny. Happy. The Restino family.

How is that for internet bravery!

Guest George

Vandervoorts in Vestal...the Sugar Bowl on North Street,Percy J's Diner in Union District,Lampy's,..what was the name of the bar in Endwell Plaza where Norman's was????????????????The Chuck Wagon on Hooper Road in Endwell where the Bagel Place is now,The Brass Lantern in endwell,The Hi-Lite across from Unioin Endicott,then it was the W J Teener in the 70's,How about the Tradewinds around the corner from Union endicott....Disco bar and a wild place in the late 60's,and the best bar on the Oak Hill strip...Adam's Tavern,along with D.J.'s Pub,Oak Inn when it only served pizza and meatball sandwiches,the Beacon Inn,Worker's Lunch, the three 5 and 10's on the Avenue..Neisner's,J.J. Newberry's and Woolworth's. How about the Trick shop on the Avnue.The Inn Bar and Grill on the Avnue.Kolba's Pizza on maybe Lake Avnue.

Hi Fi records in JC!!! I was in there a few day's after Abbey Road was released and the owners mom was playing the record for the 1st time and when the song "I want you" abruptly ends she thought the record player had broken!

A precursor the the end of the Soparanos.

Since this is such a fun thread I will mention some other names. Mitch. Shirley. Guido. Lenny. Happy. The Restino family.

How is that for internet bravery!

What about Mike/Bobby G, Steve/Scott F,Don/JD H, Rick/Bill L, David/Tommy T, Eric/Bobby F, Paul G, Sully, the Rury's, the George's, ....we were from the same neighborhood and our parents were good friends.

You in KC?

Hi Fi records in JC!!!

Yes! I was thinking of old records stores to post about earlier today but forgot. Also, that one that was on the second (?) floor of the building that used to be across from the Art Theatre and whatever the biz was in where Yannis is now, I guess it had to be where Robbies parking lot is now.. Can't recall its name.

Also, the one that was in the Vestal Plaza, was it called Discount Records?

Wolf

Guest Guest
Oh come ON people! What about Ra'nelles?? Where else could you take your life into your own hands every weekend?

The melody diner

The pizza shack ( the original one)

Not a favorite old place. In fact, never was in it, but what was the name of the bar almost on the corner of Court and Carroll, the one that got fire-bombed?

They ever catch who did that? I recall someone died in the resultant fire.

Wolf

Vandervoorts in Vestal...the Sugar Bowl on North Street,Percy J's Diner in Union District,Lampy's,..what was the name of the bar in Endwell Plaza where Norman's was????????????????The Chuck Wagon on Hooper Road in Endwell where the Bagel Place is now,The Brass Lantern in endwell,The Hi-Lite across from Unioin Endicott,then it was the W J Teener in the 70's,How about the Tradewinds around the corner from Union endicott....Disco bar and a wild place in the late 60's,and the best bar on the Oak Hill strip...Adam's Tavern,along with D.J.'s Pub,Oak Inn when it only served pizza and meatball sandwiches,the Beacon Inn,Worker's Lunch, the three 5 and 10's on the Avenue..Neisner's,J.J. Newberry's and Woolworth's. How about the Trick shop on the Avnue.The Inn Bar and Grill on the Avnue.Kolba's Pizza on maybe Lake Avnue.

the chuck wagon...my uncle owned that...he also owned the car wash on watson near the broadway diner and he owned a to z vacuum when it was in the normans plaza at north and main. he just passed away.

on a brighter side i miss....definately headquarters in jc......all philly sales...i used to love to go skyline park in tioga center as a kid......how about the old howard johnsons restaurants...remember the cookie youd get with the ice cream?

how about copperfields in the mall?

Metro's had really good hot pie(Pizza), used to love it when I was a kid. The place with the square dancing was called Grover's Barn. Remember going by there on Saturday nights when I was young and you could hear the music and the place was packed.

Metro's is still open and still serving hot pies. Food is good and reasonable prices, too.

Not a favorite old place. In fact, never was in it, but what was the name of the bar almost on the corner of Court and Carroll, the one that got fire-bombed?

Wolf

Dell's was the name of the place...sorry, not sure about the rest of it.

Guest Guest

Wolf

Was that Shieons (sp?). That one still has the awnings up.

I miss Cocco's on the parkway.

A&W is still open but they don't serve the rootbeer milkshakes. They were the best. We recreate them with a smoothie maker - rootbeer, vanilla ice cream and rootbeer extract, but they're not quite the same.

Don't remember the name but does anyone remember the small lunch place across the street from IBM bldg 14 (or that general area) that served the mac n cheese on Fridays. It was different in that it was a smooth white sauce over penne pasta. It was great. Never could figure out the recipe. The place was torn down to make room for more parking lots.

Archived