Binghamton German Club

thomas

I've been to the fest it's amazing ! I've also been to those breakfast at the German Club. I remember when I was a kid and dad worked at Normans, Norm had clam bakes for the employees there. First time I ever had raw clams ! Disgusting ! Lol but I liked the steamers tho.

I've been to the fest it's amazing ! I've also been to those breakfast at the German Club. I remember when I was a kid and dad worked at Normans, Norm had clam bakes for the employees there. First time I ever had raw clams ! Disgusting ! Lol but I liked the steamers tho.

Trying to remember Norman's...was it an independent grocery store? I vaguely remember, but can't place it.

I loves raw clams & oysters...steamers too.

Yes Normans was independent, he had two stores the down to one. He was a rough old guy but gave to the community branched off into Polar foods a discount grocery and frozen foods , delivered locally to restaurants etc Eventually he did some jail time, something about hot shrimp I think. His store was an icon on Robinson st till it burned down. Polar foods was Maines on steroids way before its time.

Norman Oretskin. One of a kind. Sell you a load of school ketchup or shrimp of suspicious origins, but give you the shirt off his back if you were in need.

Used to have a huge white German Shepherd and it would patrol the meat cutting room and deli. If something hit the ground it was the dog's.

Yes Normans was independent, he had two stores the down to one. He was a rough old guy but gave to the community branched off into Polar foods a discount grocery and frozen foods , delivered locally to restaurants etc Eventually he did some jail time, something about hot shrimp I think. His store was an icon on Robinson st till it burned down. Polar foods was Maines on steroids way before its time.

Where on Robinson St? I only remember Normans on Alice Street? That place was as big as Sams club is now? Except there were never any crowds?

Norman Oretskin. One of a kind. Sell you a load of school ketchup or shrimp of suspicious origins, but give you the shirt off his back if you were in need.

Used to have a huge white German Shepherd and it would patrol the meat cutting room and deli. If something hit the ground it was the dog's.

Ya think Norm may have been in cahoots with Nick Soma? Perhaps they shared purveyances!

It was on Robinson St., where the American Legion parking lot is now. Norman got his start as the Mohican Market on Chenango St, just around the corner from First city Bank. Remember saw dust on the floor, pickles in barrels. Talking late 50's early sixties. He was a good guy. Never passed up an opportunity to make a buck, but was very generous.

It was on Robinson St., where the American Legion parking lot is now. Norman got his start as the Mohican Market on Chenango St, just around the corner from First city Bank. Remember saw dust on the floor, pickles in barrels. Talking late 50's early sixties. He was a good guy. Never passed up an opportunity to make a buck, but was very generous.

Wow!! What memories you have activated. Remember when Giant was across the street from Calvin Coolidge and Carols?? was on upper Court Street. Time flies.

What about WigWam and Kings Market? Any one recall those establishments? Wigwam at corner of Moeller St. and East Fredrick. Kings Market at corner of East Fredrick and Bigelow. What about Browns on corner of Robinson and Howard? I played a ton of video games at Browns.

Archived