Why Are We On BCVOICE?

M_Sable

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not your fault. It's above 3rd grade reading level.

No, it really is nothing but "worthless babble"...

ex:

"I recall a lunch in early 2006 with a journalist, George Packer, who had just returned from Iraq. A colleague and I, already worried about the course of the war, wanted to hear his firsthand account. What he described was so troubling that my head nearly dropped into my food. In ways I had not fully understood at the time, I had been filtering out information that ran counter to the narrative I believed. (To President Bush’s great credit, in 2007 — in the face of powerful political headwinds — he embraced the so-called surge strategy that turned the war around.)

I relay all this because confirmation bias is far more difficult to overcome than most of us like to admit. We are ever in search of data that confirms what we want to believe. “Illusion is the first of all pleasures,” Voltaire said."

What? No mention of FOX news? I'm sorely disappointed...and quite bored. This article sucked wind from Hillary's aft end.

I apologize for swearing. I write like I say it and usually go back and edit but about half the time I forget and hit the "post" button out of habit.

No, it really is nothing but "worthless babble"...

ex:

"I recall a lunch in early 2006 with a journalist, George Packer, who had just returned from Iraq. A colleague and I, already worried about the course of the war, wanted to hear his firsthand account. What he described was so troubling that my head nearly dropped into my food. In ways I had not fully understood at the time, I had been filtering out information that ran counter to the narrative I believed. (To President Bushs great credit, in 2007 in the face of powerful political headwinds he embraced the so-called surge strategy that turned the war around.)

I relay all this because confirmation bias is far more difficult to overcome than most of us like to admit. We are ever in search of data that confirms what we want to believe. Illusion is the first of all pleasures, Voltaire said."

What? No mention of FOX news? I'm sorely disappointed...and quite bored. This article sucked wind from Hillary's aft end.

This article doesn't fit your agenda. You are programmed to think a certain way. You might not be capable of over coming your biases. Too bad. So sad.

This article doesn't fit your agenda. You are programmed to think a certain way. You might not be capable of over coming your biases. Too bad. So sad.

With all due respect SE, he never said what he believes. I just want to know what you believe in!

With all due respect SE, he never said what he believes. I just want to know what you believe in!

Let me try to explain the article to you. You are correct the author didn't share his beliefs. The article isn't about what the author believes, it's about people's tendency to seek news/information/data that supports their beliefs, and refute anything that contradicts their beliefs. It's called confirmation bias.

For example, if your beliefs are Libertarian you would seek only news/info./data that supports your libertarian views. Or if you are a left winger, you would only seek news/info./data that supports left wing views.

I shared the article in response to the question, "Why are we on BCVoice?" I believe many here suffer from confirmation bias the article discusses. People are on BCVoice to seek others who share their beliefs, and to attack those who have different beliefs with childish behavior (typically).

What do I believe? I believe that everyone should always do what's best and right.

As long as we are doing Intro to Psychology, let’s try the ultimate attribution error.

From Wikipedia:

Ultimate attribution error is the tendency to internally attribute negative outgroup and positive ingroup behaviour and to externally attribute positive outgroup and negative ingroup behaviour. So in other words, ultimate attribution error arises as a way to explain an outgroup's negative behaviour as flaws in their personality, and to explain an outgroup's positive behaviour as a result of chance or circumstance. It is also the belief that positive acts performed by ingroup members are as a result of their personality, whereas, if an ingroup member behaves negatively (which is believed to be rare), it is a result of situational factors.

For ease of example, Ingroup can be those of your political persuasion, out group are the “others”. They do bad stuff because they’re evil, we do bad because the situation pushes us to it. We do good stuff cuz we’re good people, they do good stuff cuz we held them accountable. The findings hold for other groups, such as race, religion, immigrant vs citizen, etc.

Once you begin looking at posts with this framework, it becomes amazingly apparent. It’s a really fun game to play and happens whether you believe in it or not. Psychology 101 in your life...

Welcome to #America1st and #TrumpNation.

I do not disagree with many of Trumps policies. I disagree with the manor in which he operates/governs. How Trump has handled the Puerto Rico hurricane politics is a great example of the types of actions I can't support.

Trump projects a persona of ignorance and uses bully tactics. In some ways Trumps approach is a much needed new flavor to politics, but there are many negatives to his approach as well. The Tillerson/North Korea situation is embarrassing and very dangerous. Trump doesn't understand that a unified front on the foreign policy stage is very important. I think Trump believes it's better for people to not know what the US might do. But with the unknown comes uncertainty. We dont want uncertainty when it comes to nuclear weapons and WW3.

Trump doesn't impress me as a man that can consider alternative perspectives. He seems hard headed and stubborn. I feel as though a person in his position should be a good listener and be able to take advice from multiple sources and make an educated decision. Trump isn't above mud slinging. Trump doesn't take the high road, he takes the lower road.

So no, I support some of Trumps policies, but I don't support the Trump brand of politics. The America first slogan is born from Trumps ideal that he comes first. I never put myself first. I put my family first. I put my good friends first. God, family, country.

Nobody can read nor write on here but sporty, I vote that he be the spokes person for the Voice! He can translate and interpret each post and tell us in his own words what we are suppose to know.

Let me translate your post. "I know nothing. I live in Texas, but I troll BCvoice for no known reason. I am a simpleton, with no purpose in life."

It must shit to be you then sporty ! I'm sorry you don't know anything but maybe you can learn! If you don't like Texas you can surely move and as for you're trolling the BC Voice well er .... I guess you could just find another hobby. Maybe you might get lucky though and really find your purpose in life! I wouldn't call you a simpleton though I'm sure you have a minuscule of a brain.

Can you really and express your 1st Amendment rights and debate in an environment where content is limited? I think not!

References to free speech make me think about "free speech" and what it means as a right. Actors, politicians, news organizations, teachers, and many of us refer to it very often, and incorrectly.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What this means is we do not have a constitutional right to be here. What it means is that with very few restrictions, the United States cannot enact a law restricting content by the owners of BCV, newspapers, ect. The owners have the right to control any and all content. It is their privately owned or leased medium of transmission and have the first amendment right to exist. They pay for the bandwidth, computers monitors etc. and bear responsibility for much of the content. They can be sued*. The same goes for what is left of the newspaper industry. They can edit and limit content as they wish, and are not obligated to print anyone's editorial reply. They own the paper, presses, means of distribution and creation of content, and again a measure of responsibility.

Just as important, but often overlooked. I don't have to listen anyone or read their content. I have the right not to. A person has the right to walk away, not watch, or throw a newspaper, handout sheet, etc in the trash. No one has the right to force their grievance on another. If we wish to speak publicly, we have the right to do so, but not from an other's soap box.

*Libel, defamation etc is a civil matter, not constitutional.

It must shit to be you then sporty ! I'm sorry you don't know anything but maybe you can learn! If you don't like Texas you can surely move and as for you're trolling the BC Voice well er .... I guess you could just find another hobby. Maybe you might get lucky though and really find your purpose in life! I wouldn't call you a simpleton though I'm sure you have a minuscule of a brain.

Bubba..Sport...this is EXACTLY what I am posting about. You both can make a good point, and then immediately start mud-wrestling. That is why our Congress is equally fucked up and can get nothing done.

Take the high road and make your points respectfully. Otherwise you demean yourselves.

This kind of nonsense makes us look like idiots to the rest of the world, when they are looking to us for stability and leadership.

It's not a playground where name calling makes you look all big and bad. It makes those who lower themselves to that level look unable to come up with a coherent argument, and thus look stupid.

Don't go there.

Bubba..Sport...this is EXACTLY what I am posting about. You both can make a good point, and then immediately start mud-wrestling. That is why our Congress is equally fucked up and can get nothing done.

Take the high road and make your points respectfully. Otherwise you demean yourselves.

This kind of nonsense makes us look like idiots to the rest of the world, when they are looking to us for stability and leadership.

It's not a playground where name calling makes you look all big and bad. It makes those who lower themselves to that level look unable to come up with a coherent argument, and thus look stupid.

Don't go there.

Decorum can be extremely dangerous when one side is faking it and doing the opposite behind the scenes. Decorum is why America has been in a free for all the last 30 or 40 years. The fake liberals play nice in public while they rape the public behind the scenes. They are the people who always leverage taxpayer dollars and political power to enrich themselves but go on camera as the champion of the poor. Dumbass traditional conservatives have played too nice since at least the 60's and look where we ended up. Corruption everywhere in government.

I've come to understand that this evil bunch of freaks has relied on decorum to stick it in our ass behind the scenes. Time to fight. Go Trump!

Don't go there.

Good point Sable. I dont usually lower myself to others who name call and really do not debate an opinion, but Bubba has pulled the worst out of me.

I tried to post an article about confirmation bias because I thought there was a connection between the articles message and why some visit/participate here on BCVoice. My post was immediately attacked. Sometimes I think no matter what I say, there are some who will immediately attack my opinion no matter what it is. None the less, I should take the high road, and I agree with your point Sable.

I come to BCVoice to read interesting stuff, learn something and to share my own opinion. But sharing my own opinion comes with attacks, and I have been doing it less because of the attacks.

(wink) :) Well sweetheart, you drew blood first. "SOUND LIKE MANY A BCVOICER?' YOU, insulted the intellect of... many a bcvoicer and used that article to back up your assertation. And then , when '75 stated he thought the article was...(tongue in cheek/smirk) inane...YOU accused him of being unable to assess content beyond a third grade level.

My own opinion? The author of the article calls it confirmation bias and I call it FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION. After all, this is America. Even on the computer we are free to associate and CONSULT with whomever we choose.

(wink) :) Well sweetheart, you drew blood first. "SOUND LIKE MANY A BCVOICER?' YOU, insulted the intellect of... many a bcvoicer and used that article to back up your assertation. And then , when '75 stated he thought the article was...(tongue in cheek/smirk) inane...YOU accused him of being unable to assess content beyond a third grade level.

My own opinion? The author of the article calls it confirmation bias and I call it FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION. After all, this is America. Even on the computer we are free to associate and CONSULT with whomever we choose.

I drew first blood!?!? Yes it does sound like many BCVoiver. FUCK YOU ALL!!!

Archived