FOOD

ginger

One more thing...you watching Nonna Pia on Facebook? Love her! " Aldo! ", she says, "You gonna take me to the Shop Rite for the can-can sale? "  first thing in the basket is the Stella Doro Egg biscuits.  She reminds me of the mother of a friend I had in high school.

She made chicken milanese soup the other day...but she called it something else. I'm learning all kinds of little tricks. :)

https://fb.watch/lJ0UsJMqeR/

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, ginger said:

And the results are in... I took it out after 8 hrs and let it rest half an hour. Everything below the juice line pulled apart.. everything above.. I  chopped some of it because that's where the " bark" was and took probably a 2.5 lb hunk and threw it in the freezer for another day.

The directions said to skim off the fat from the juice. It all looked like fat to me so I poured some of it in the remaining vinegar brownsugar concoction. That saved the day.

Mesquite was not the flavor I was looking for. If you like St Louis style ribs, use that rub. I don't, so the juices saved the dish. 

I probably will not try this again. It's good but some things should be left to the experts.

Lol.🙂 I said I wasn't going to do this again but they were on sale for $.99 lb at Price Chopper last week and I couldn't pass it up. So I spent $8.92 for this huge hunk of pork butt, but guess how much I paid for apple cider vinegar? $4.99 for a 32oz bottle at ALDI! I think the last time I purchased it, the same size bottle at Weis was $1.19! Shocking.

I think I've been in that store less than 5 times but after I left price chopper I realized I was missing a few things so I stopped in. I didn't think the prices were significantly less for the things I was looking for. 

• 1 month later...

What's cooking? 

Every year I say I'm not baking.  Last year I didn't because I was still suffering from my car accident. This year, somebody roped me in to making lemon cream cheese bars so here I am. I also sort of promised I'd make Kolachi. 

I have a ton of apples that were given to me. I haven't made a pie since highschool, with my mother. I purchased a Pillsbury pie crust. If anyone has a decent recipe for how to make the filling or a better idea...I have some gala and an entire bag of Macintosh. I'd hate to have them go bad.

44 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

sorry, not much of a baker, either, but you could always make applesauce to go w/ roast pork on NY Day. 

I keep looking at all of these recipes...I  think I'm going to try the Cracker Barrel fried apples recipe. I think they'd be fine for pie. I have lemon juice so I shouldn't have a problem with browning. Just made the kolachi dough. It's in the fridge. Moving on to chocolate chips, only because I had them in the house and have 2 extra sticks of butter softened. Roll eyes ..I SAID I WASN'T GOING TO DO THIS! I also have 2 cans of cherry pie filling to make cherry almond bars. If I don't use them this year they'll expire. I need more eggs.

I just heard on WNBF...the price of eggs is about to sky rocket. Late cases of avian flu. Here we go again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be that person but.. I'm pretty sure I had the worst Chinese food ever. I ordered door dash yesterday afternoon. The presentation of the "platters" was very nice. The food itself was poor quality and tasteless. In a million years, I didn't think anyone could screw up wonton soup and pork egg rolls. If I wanted everything to look and taste like leftover Christmas ham I would have used my own!  

And so, in BCV tradition...whose got the best Chinese these days? Standard American Chinese cooking, nothing fancy, but geez, the quality has to be there. 

1 hour ago, ginger said:

I hate to be that person but.. I'm pretty sure I had the worst Chinese food ever. I ordered door dash yesterday afternoon. The presentation of the "platters" was very nice. The food itself was poor quality and tasteless. In a million years, I didn't think anyone could screw up wonton soup and pork egg rolls. If I wanted everything to look and taste like leftover Christmas ham I would have used my own!  

And so, in BCV tradition...whose got the best Chinese these days? Standard American Chinese cooking, nothing fancy, but geez, the quality has to be there. 

I actually would like to know where the best Chinese is in West Endicott area.  There is good Thai food around, but not sure about Chinese?

I've had good luck w/ Fraternity in Hillcrest, and 50/50 w/ Moon Star, depending on the order.

It's been a few years, but I also had really good takeout from China Lake, however, they had health dept issues this past summer that concerned me. (that were fixed, btw)

The food was really good, but think it's just an elderly couple running the whole place. 

Several years ago, we got take out from the place over in West Corners that was good, but no idea now.

I can say that I won't bother w/ Panda, due to lack of flavor, even though they delivered back before Doordash was a thing. 

4 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I've had good luck w/ Fraternity in Hillcrest, and 50/50 w/ Moon Star, depending on the order.

It's been a few years, but I also had really good takeout from China Lake, however, they had health dept issues this past summer that concerned me. (that were fixed, btw)

The food was really good, but think it's just an elderly couple running the whole place. 

Several years ago, we got take out from the place over in West Corners that was good, but no idea now.

I can say that I won't bother w/ Panda, due to lack of flavor, even though they delivered back before Doordash was a thing. 

I would have ordered Fraternity but they weren't on door dash or grub hub.

The last 2/3 times I've ordered Chinese, the food was crap. I'm just going to have to make a better effort to learn how to do it myself. Maybe take an online cooking class. I need a serious wok. I still have the 5 spice powder and the sesame oil from the last 2 times I tried. All of my food came out overcooked because my stainless pans are either too small or too deep. 

Ginger, I just bought a ceramic-coated frying pan, and nothing sticks to this!  A little pricey, but worth it so far.

I've tried Moon Star and New Panda, but their food tastes like it was frozen, not fresh.  I don't do DoorDash - I want my food fresh and hot.

2pelo Honey, where is the place in West Corners?  Is it in that plaza where Shelly's is?  That's about a mile from me.

Yes, China Chef, I think it is? 

We got take out from there, but several years ago. 

FYI, it's cash only.

I would've classified Moon Star as much better than them, though, so I wonder if this economy and food prices are making them all crappy. But bland and frozen doesn't make sense.

There was also a decent one in Four Corners Vestal, but the little general who answered the phone scared me enough that I haven't gone back. (Far East) 

• 2 months later...

Good morning. 🙂

Every year for Christmas I get truffles. I'm too polite to tell people I don't like them, they're too rich for me and so they sit in a candy dish on the coffee table till summer and I throw them out. What a waste, right? 

This year was no exception. I was gifted both Godiva and Lindor. Here's what I did...

I made regular Nestlé toll house dough, added an extra egg. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Prefroze the 8oz pkg of Lindor. Instead of morsels I chopped up the truffles in the food processor. Folded them into the dough,,chilled for an hour.

Baked 8 minutes on parchment paper. They will look over cooked, darker. They aren't. They're perfect. It's a nice cookie.