St. Michael's pierogis

Speedin' Demon

I'm realizing today is the last Friday in Lent, and I didn't have St. Michael's pierogis this year.  But they don't seem to be as big a deal as they used to be?  There used to be long lines and they were very good.  Last time I had them, they were OK, and were getting quite expensive.  Did anyone get any this year?  How were they?

2 hours ago, Speedin' Demon said:

I'm realizing today is the last Friday in Lent, and I didn't have St. Michael's pierogis this year.  But they don't seem to be as big a deal as they used to be?  There used to be long lines and they were very good.  Last time I had them, they were OK, and were getting quite expensive.  Did anyone get any this year?  How were they?

Red’s Kettle Inn’s are the best.

I didn't get any this year either, IMO the quality has been slipping but they are certainly better than anything store bought. I also heard that there aren't as many people volunteering these days. Not surprised - last time I was there the average age of the volunteers must have been 80.

When I first remember getting St. Michael's perogies, probably in the early 1990's, I think they were $3 or $4 a dozen.  Of course the price of everything has gone up since then, but in recent years the perogies have gotten smaller and the prices continue to rise.  I'm sure the cost of ingredients have increased, but they have no overhead... it's all volunteer based, they are tax exempt, and they own the recreation hall and all the equipment.  It seems like pure greed to me.  

There's also been rumors of financial improprieties at St. Mikes over the years, involving a certain family who runs the church.  I prefer to avoid all the drama and buy the Wegmans brand frozen perogies, they are actually very good.

• 1 year later...

Many people stopped going to St. Michaels fundraisers because the Korchak's politicized the church.  There are two nice twins who work for the City of Binghamton who volunteer at St. Mikes, and Nadine Korchak calls them "retards".  Because of behavior like that, many people are done dealing with all the BS that goes on at St. Mikes.