Need Help Finding a Jeep involved in Hit and Run

Tazz

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if they catch the guy and make his insurance pay, her rates may still increase . some insurance companies will surcharge for not at fault accidents. you may want to check with progressive to see.

Thanks. I'll have her ask tomorrow when they call.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leaving the Scene of a Personal Injury Accident is a Misdemeanor. The at fault driver's Insurance will cover Hit & Runs. The injuries are covered under each driver's respective insurance regardless who is at fault. Your insurance will cover everything and if the other driver is located then they will go after the at fault driver's insurance company for reimbursement. Good Luck

Thank you. Do you happen to know what happens if they find him and he had no insurance? Will progressive cover then sue him personally?

I am pretty sure that his insurance will not cover a hit-and-run. But, the courts will make him pay out of pocket...just the lesson this guy needs to learn.

His insurance will definately pay for any kind of accident that is found to be his fault. It doesn't matter if he ran from the accident. The court will penalize him criminally for leaving the scene.

That link explains if your insurance will pay you for a hit and run. If they catch the guy and he had insurance on his jeep, it will pay for the damage on your vehicle. If you had Comprehensive insurance on your car, you may be able to get them to pay for the damage on your vehicle and they will go after the jeep owner and your NYS Uninsured Motorist Insurance will pay you for your injuries and medical bills. Call your agant and ask them what to do.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if they catch the guy and make his insurance pay, her rates may still increase . some insurance companies will surcharge for not at fault accidents. you may want to check with progressive to see.

Yeah, unfortunately that does happen, but I have found that there are many insurance companies out there and if they raise her rates, call around and tell them to stick it. Other insurance companies will give her the same as the old rates or better rates. It does not go on her record if she wasn't at fault.

That link explains if your insurance will pay you for a hit and run. If they catch the guy and he had insurance on his jeep, it will pay for the damage on your vehicle. If you had Comprehensive insurance on your car, you may be able to get them to pay for the damage on your vehicle and they will go after the jeep owner and your NYS Uninsured Motorist Insurance will pay you for your injuries and medical bills. Call your agant and ask them what to do.

Thank you. She has contacted progressive and been given a claim number. They are supposed to call her tomorrow so she can ask, and get answers to, her questions. They have assured her she is covered no matter if he is found or not.

Thank you. Do you happen to know what happens if they find him and he had no insurance? Will progressive cover then sue him personally?

That is exactly what will happen. Have her call her agent and let them handle it, that is what you pay them for. If he won't handle it, call the company directly and file the claim and consider a agent that is willing to help.

Thank you. She has contacted progressive and been given a claim number. They are supposed to call her tomorrow so she can ask, and get answers to, her questions. They have assured her she is covered no matter if he is found or not.

I am sure that she will be taken care of, Progressive is a pretty good company. I deal with them in the Auto Repair business and have found them to be very helpful and very fair.

That is exactly what will happen. Have her call her agent and let them handle it, that is what you pay them for. If he won't handle it, call the company directly and file the claim and consider a agent that is willing to help.

Thank you. I hate to see this drag out as she has small children and lives outside of town, so she needs a vehicle. Without an insurance check to pay off her bank note on the totalled van, she would not be able to get another one right away. This makes me feel better.

I am sure that she will be taken care of, Progressive is a pretty good company. I deal with them in the Auto Repair business and have found them to be very helpful and very fair.

Thank you! This to makes me feel better!

Thank you. I hate to see this drag out as she has small children and lives outside of town, so she needs a vehicle. Without an insurance check to pay off her bank note on the totalled van, she would not be able to get another one right away. This makes me feel better.

Progressive should provide her with a rental car in the interim. If she needs help locating a new vehicle, I may be able to help with that as well, I have a couple vans for sale and buy at the auctions regularly for people. I can be contacted at Hillcrest Fleet & Auto (607) 722-7163. Just a thought!

Progressive should provide her with a rental car in the interim. If she needs help locating a new vehicle, I may be able to help with that as well, I have a couple vans for sale and buy at the auctions regularly for people. I can be contacted at Hillcrest Fleet & Auto (607) 722-7163. Just a thought!

Thank you so much!! I'm sure she will see this as well, but thank you from me! The help and support we have gotten on here with all this has been amazing:)

Guest Guest

Not to burst anyone's bubble of hope but... it will be next to impossible to catch this guy.. there are too many vehicles like the one described.

no plate #... it

lt may be hard.

Guest Julia Allison

Wings is a neighborhood type hangout. He is more than likely a local. This is a small suburban area. It is hard to hide that kind of damage from your family, neighbors, friends, and body shop. People on here have already id'd someone fitting his description and make of car. He will be caught.

Guest Guest

COMING IN LATE. DID ANYONE GET A PARTIAL PLATE #? THAT WOULD BE THE MOST COMMON WAY TO CATCH HIM. IF NOT, MOST LEGITIMATE BODY SHOPS KNOW WHEN SOMEONE BRINGS IN A CAR THAT IS POSSIBLY WANTED. THE POLICE AGENCIES HAVE A GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM. IF THEY KNOWINGLY FIX A WANTED CAR THEY HAVE COMMITTED A FELONY. FINALLY, WORD OF MOUTH AND TIPS USUALLY SOLVE THESE CRIMES. WITHOUT A PLATE # IT WILL BE HARD TO FIND THE JEEP.

I would say leave the "catching him" part up to the police! If you have any information about him, give it to the police and let them do their job. He will be caught, this is a small town.

Let the insurance company do their job as well, that is what you pay them for.

You are welcome! I am hopeful and confident that everything will work out for her!

She is really sore today so she hasn't been on here, but I did call her. She will be in touch later this week, but she said she thinks she will go for a car this time because of gas prices. She'll give you more info when you two talk.

I would say leave the "catching him" part up to the police! If you have any information about him, give it to the police and let them do their job. He will be caught, this is a small town.

Let the insurance company do their job as well, that is what you pay them for.

Thanks everybody. Yes, I think even without the plate number he will be caught. How hard is it to notice new damage on a friends, nephews, sons, brother jeep?

And yes Billy, leave it up to the police! I do not want anybody hurt because of this please.

Well since it worked for me I'll try it for you. The weekend of the Speedie Fest one of my limos was stolen from a parking lot on Eldredge st, because I was ill at the time and home sleeping when it happened the driver and a friend called the police filed the report and tried to find it themselves, after about 6 hours later the woke me up to tell me what happened, since Ive been in the cab business a long time and know everybody there I called them and told them and beleave it or not 12 minutes later a Yellow cab found it parked on the side of the Day n Nite on Chenango n Biver St. My father still drives cab and is going to put up a flyer at work tomorrow and ill cal my friends and see what we can find out. And from experience dont be surprised if she doesnt get hit with a small insurance increase,a hit n run to my white car recently had me on the phone with them and they told me that if I ran it as a claim that it would go up 6% at renewal even though Im fully covered to $1,000,000 as required by the New York airports. It might be different for a personal policy so good luck.

Well since it worked for me I'll try it for you. The weekend of the Speedie Fest one of my limos was stolen from a parking lot on Eldredge st, because I was ill at the time and home sleeping when it happened the driver and a friend called the police filed the report and tried to find it themselves, after about 6 hours later the woke me up to tell me what happened, since Ive been in the cab business a long time and know everybody there I called them and told them and beleave it or not 12 minutes later a Yellow cab found it parked on the side of the Day n Nite on Chenango n Biver St. My father still drives cab and is going to put up a flyer at work tomorrow and ill cal my friends and see what we can find out. And from experience dont be surprised if she doesnt get hit with a small insurance increase,a hit n run to my white car recently had me on the phone with them and they told me that if I ran it as a claim that it would go up 6% at renewal even though Im fully covered to $1,000,000 as required by the New York airports. It might be different for a personal policy so good luck.

Bless you and thanks!

I guess if her insurance goes up, there isn't much we can do about it{sigh} I'll just be thankful she, for the most part, was uninjured.

Bless you and thanks!

I guess if her insurance goes up, there isn't much we can do about it{sigh} I'll just be thankful she, for the most part, was uninjured.

No problem thats what were here for and since my insurance is $4000 per car per year I decided to try to fix mine myself.

Archived