Obamacare - Epic Failure

PeteMoss

It seems that Aetna has been caught lying as to the real reason they're pulling out of some states exchanges. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aetna-obamacare-pullout-humana-merger_us_57b3d747e4b04ff883996a13

Here's a copy of the actual letter where they try blackmailing the government "Our analysis to date makes clear that if the deal were challenged and/or blocked we would need to take immediate actions to mitigate public exchange and ACA small group losses. Specifically, if the DOJ sues to enjoin the transaction, we will immediately take action to reduce our 2017 exchange footprint. "

Basically, approve the merger or we will pull out of exchanges.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/AetnaDOJletter.pdf

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do work in the private sector. Those plans and deductibles are for a single person. Also I didn't mention there are copays attached as well. ie a walk in visit is $35(in the silver and gold plans) and the cheapest plan does not pay for prescription drugs until you exceed the $6,000 threshhold. Not a big deal for me if I choose that plan, Lopressor is like $6.00 or so but I recall a few years back having an md prescribe Augmenten when I had pneumonia and that was like...$12 or 25 a pill-can't recall so I marched myself back up to the office to get amoxicillin, which was $9 or 10 for the 10 day supply. also xrays and mri type tests are not covered until you exceed the $6,000.

So basically, it's $40 A WEEK for what we used to call a major medical plan. That is on top of my $6.00 a week medicare tax and .45 cents a week SUSDI.

Also, I heard NYS is" getting out of the medicaid business" and transferring patients to private sector/pay organizations although I have no details on that subject...I heard the comment in passing on the news. I wonder what kind of cute tricks they have up their sleeves for those people. They already make life miserable and complicated for the elderly-I don't know how my mother manages to keep with the changes all of the time....part a part b part c, medicare advantage... it's enough to make your head spin :blink::)

^I just saw your post if organizations like Aetna pull out who is medicaid going to transfer their patients to? :) Or perhaps that's the point?

and BTW- what happened to that part of the ACA that states whatever the premiums add up to, the patient has to receive at least that much in services or they get a refund? Wasn't that part of the ACA? No wonder my mom got her eyes done (cataracts and lenses) for basically nothing.

post edit-that $6.00 lopressor goes up to $10.00 a month copay for the metaprolol generic under the silver and gold plans. It's stupid.

But Wanker that plan wouldn't pay for anything I need or want except 1 visit to my doctor. I would be paying $2000 for nothing and then if something really bad happened I'd still be in debt to the tune of $6,000. :angry: and why are you trying to make me do math?! :) $40=.16x...AHHHHH! :lol:AHhhhLGEBRA!

I do work in the private sector. Those plans and deductibles are for a single person. Also I didn't mention there are copays attached as well. ie a walk in visit is $35(in the silver and gold plans) and the cheapest plan does not pay for prescription drugs until you exceed the $6,000 threshhold. Not a big deal for me if I choose that plan, Lopressor is like $6.00 or so but I recall a few years back having an md prescribe Augmenten when I had pneumonia and that was like...$12 or 25 a pill-can't recall so I marched myself back up to the office to get amoxicillin, which was $9 or 10 for the 10 day supply. also xrays and mri type tests are not covered until you exceed the $6,000.

So basically, it's $40 A WEEK for what we used to call a major medical plan. That is on top of my $6.00 a week medicare tax and .45 cents a week SUSDI.

Also, I heard NYS is" getting out of the medicaid business" and transferring patients to private sector/pay organizations although I have no details on that subject...I heard the comment in passing on the news. I wonder what kind of cute tricks they have up their sleeves for those people. They already make life miserable and complicated for the elderly-I don't know how my mother manages to keep with the changes all of the time....part a part b part c, medicare advantage... it's enough to make your head spin :blink::)

^I just saw your post if organizations like Aetna pull out who is medicaid going to transfer their patients to? :) Or perhaps that's the point?

and BTW- what happened to that part of the ACA that states whatever the premiums add up to, the patient has to receive at least that much in services or they get a refund? Wasn't that part of the ACA? No wonder my mom got her eyes done (cataracts and lenses) for basically nothing.

post edit-that $6.00 lopressor goes up to $10.00 a month copay for the metaprolol generic under the silver and gold plans. It's stupid.

A single person is $420 a month at my employer, and all plans have co-pay. Mine keeps going on, has been since I started here 15 years ago, every year. So whether the ACA was passed or not it still keeps going up. At least now I don't need to worry about coverage for my daughter if I switch jobs. She has a pre-existing condition and it was always a worry.

How is $420/month single person if your daughter is also covered? Wouldn't that be the rate for a 2 or family plan?

Here's another example...I'm having a problem with my lower back. I know eventually I'm going to need an MRI. Even if I choose the gold plan with $2000 deductible I'm still going to have to save to purchase that MRI because, I think they cost about 2 g's.

I'm a homeowner. People on medicaid get carte blanche medical but I have to save up for a test and pay $80/week for the gold package which I might choose if my back gets too bad because I'm not going into $6,000 of debt if I eventually need surgery.

BUT WAIT! 50 weeks times $80 a week equals $4,000 plus the $2,000 g's I'm paying out of pocket =$6,000 :blink:

"But this belies the real issue because if you took all of Aetna’s and Humana’s gross profit — that is, you paid nobody in either company anything nor did you spend anything on investment or even the light bill you’d drop the cost of medical care in the United States by…… about 1%."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-21/karl-denninger-rages-stop-stupid

So it isn't the big bad medical insurance companies and their CEO's salaries causing the costs to increase.

How is $420/month single person if your daughter is also covered? Wouldn't that be the rate for a 2 or family plan?

Here's another example...I'm having a problem with my lower back. I know eventually I'm going to need an MRI. Even if I choose the gold plan with $2000 deductible I'm still going to have to save to purchase that MRI because, I think they cost about 2 g's.

I'm a homeowner. People on medicaid get carte blanche medical but I have to save up for a test and pay $80/week for the gold package which I might choose if my back gets too bad because I'm not going into $6,000 of debt if I eventually need surgery.

BUT WAIT! 50 weeks times $80 a week equals $4,000 plus the $2,000 g's I'm paying out of pocket =$6,000 :blink:

I was saying how much Single is where I work, I already relayed the Family cost, which is what I pay.

If YOU don't pay for your health care insurance, someone else is paying for it. I don't have to read links to know this. It is a fact.

It's like you don't even bother reading, oh wait, you don't. You said that it has done nothing to bring healthcare costs down, they've risen. Those links prove you wrong.

"But this belies the real issue because if you took all of Aetna’s and Humana’s gross profit — that is, you paid nobody in either company anything nor did you spend anything on investment or even the light bill you’d drop the cost of medical care in the United States by…… about 1%."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-21/karl-denninger-rages-stop-stupid

So it isn't the big bad medical insurance companies and their CEO's salaries causing the costs to increase.

1% of a $114 Billion dollar company is a measly $1,140,000,000. I mean, what's over a BILLION dollars in savings?!? Why would anyone want that?

It's like you don't even bother reading, oh wait, you don't. You said that it has done nothing to bring healthcare costs down, they've risen. Those links prove you wrong.

I don't care what the links prove. Most people's health insurance costs have gone up. Those that have gone down are being subsidized by taxpayers.

THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE FOR THE MONEY TO COME FROM.

1% of a $114 Billion dollar company is a measly $1,140,000,000. I mean, what's over a BILLION dollars in savings?!? Why would anyone want that?

For the love of God.. Do you read what was there. IF NO ONE RECEIVED ANY PAY, IF UTILITIES WERE NOT PAID, THE SAVINGS WOULD BE 1% of 114 BILLION. BUT SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE LIGHT BILL, SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE EMPLOYEES OR THEY WON"T COME TO WORK.

What is wrong with you?????

I don't care what the links prove. Most people's health insurance costs have gone up. Those that have gone down are being subsidized by taxpayers.

THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE FOR THE MONEY TO COME FROM.

Of course you don't care. It doesn't fit into your agenda. Facts have no place in your argument because they would immediately render it null and void.

For the love of God.. Do you read what was there. IF NO ONE RECEIVED ANY PAY, IF UTILITIES WERE NOT PAID, THE SAVINGS WOULD BE 1% of 114 BILLION. BUT SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE LIGHT BILL, SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE EMPLOYEES OR THEY WON"T COME TO WORK.

What is wrong with you?????

Read the following part...

Did you get that folks? All of this strum, furor and hatred if you could completely eliminate these firms “profiteering” from the picture (oh, and they do profiteer!) would result in a cost reduction of…… one percent.

So the point stands, if profiteering was eliminated million, and potentially billions would be saved every year.

Hey Petey, here's another one for you...

"Proxy filings show that from 2007 to 2015, Mylan CEO Heather Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068, a 671 percent increase. During the same period, the company raised EpiPen prices, with the average wholesale price going from $56.64 to $317.82, a 461 percent increase, according to data provided by Connecture.

And while sales of the life-saving drug rose to provide 40 percent of the company's operating profits in 2014, as Bloomberg reported, salaries for other Mylan executives also went up."

Tell us again how it doesn't make a difference.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/mylan-execs-gave-themselves-raises-they-hiked-epipen-prices-n636591

Read the following part...

Did you get that folks? All of this strum, furor and hatred if you could completely eliminate these firms “profiteering” from the picture (oh, and they do profiteer!) would result in a cost reduction of…… one percent.

So the point stands, if profiteering was eliminated million, and potentially billions would be saved every year.

Well then why don't YOU start a non profit health insurance company? Why hasn't one been started by liberal do gooders??

A non profit icompany would be able to offer the lowest costs? They would knock every other health insurance company out of business.

Just answer that simple question

You already answered it, because the other health insurance companies would put a stop to it. Half of the health insurance companies have a stake in drug manufacturers, they'd cut off the supply of drugs to the company or not allow that insurance to cover their products, same goes for hospitals and other areas. It's not difficult to stop a non-profit if a for-profit company wants to.

You already answered it, because the other health insurance companies would put a stop to it. Half of the health insurance companies have a stake in drug manufacturers, they'd cut off the supply of drugs to the company or not allow that insurance to cover their products, same goes for hospitals and other areas. It's not difficult to stop a non-profit if a for-profit company wants to.

No they wouldn't. There is competition right now in the insurance industry. In fact the feds have stopped one merger between CIGNA and Anthem.

Hey Petey, here's another one for you...

"Proxy filings show that from 2007 to 2015, Mylan CEO Heather Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068, a 671 percent increase. During the same period, the company raised EpiPen prices, with the average wholesale price going from $56.64 to $317.82, a 461 percent increase, according to data provided by Connecture.

And while sales of the life-saving drug rose to provide 40 percent of the company's operating profits in 2014, as Bloomberg reported, salaries for other Mylan executives also went up."

Tell us again how it doesn't make a difference.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/mylan-execs-gave-themselves-raises-they-hiked-epipen-prices-n636591

Well guess who is Heather Bresch's father?

US Senator Joe Manchin

DEMOCRAT FROM WEST VIRGINIA

He did a good job of raising his daughter to be compassionate.

Archived