Obamacare - Epic Failure

PeteMoss

Well ginger you want to repeal it, the CBO says 23 million Americans will lose insurance due to that. How do you address that?

How do you address all of the issues already pointed out about the ACA? It's a train wreck that was shoved through under cover of darkness and basically rammed down everyone's throats. It shouldn't even be.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we've already heard from millions of Americans who stated their plan was useless. Even with the insurance they aren't going to the doctor so to quote Hillary, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE NOW?" AND Governor Cuomo should further reduce the burden on taxpayers by letting the state pay for medicaid. Billions of dollars in economic development that we NEVER see any results from...Expand medicaid interim...they keep saying, oh the rich should pay more...well there it is. Is that not the easiest way to transfer wealth, taking the cost of medicaid off of property owners?!

How do you address all of the issues already pointed out about the ACA? It's a train wreck that was shoved through under cover of darkness and basically rammed down everyone's throats. It shouldn't even be.

Single-Payer. Or tweaks to what exists, IE: And I know you're going to say "THAT'S UN-AMERICAN" but getting more young people into the insurance pool via tax incentives and penalties which will drive down the risk pool and decrease premiums overall. Fixes to special signup periods so less people can sign up as soon as they get sick, and carry insurance for a longer period which lessens the expenditure curve of insurance. These are simple changes that would help.

I think we've already heard from millions of Americans who stated their plan was useless. Even with the insurance they aren't going to the doctor so to quote Hillary, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE NOW?" AND Governor Cuomo should further reduce the burden on taxpayers by letting the state pay for medicaid. Billions of dollars in economic development that we NEVER see any results from...Expand medicaid interim...they keep saying, oh the rich should pay more...well there it is. Is that not the easiest way to transfer wealth, taking the cost of medicaid off of property owners?!

We've also heard from millions who've stated that their plan has saved their life. People usually find insurance useless, until they have a real need for it. I could say that my home insurance is completely useless! I've never used it once! But if my roof were to get torn up in a windstorm I bet I'd no longer complain as loudly. As far as taxes in NYS, that's complicated and really doesn't have much to do with the ACA as it exists now, yes I know in the Republicare plan there are some giveways to upstate new york.

But I'm still curious, do you think the Republicare plan is going to fix things? Even though the CBO and even the Whitehouse projections all state many people will lose their insurance?

Single-Payer. Or tweaks to what exists, IE: And I know you're going to say "THAT'S UN-AMERICAN" but getting more young people into the insurance pool via tax incentives and penalties which will drive down the risk pool and decrease premiums overall. Fixes to special signup periods so less people can sign up as soon as they get sick, and carry insurance for a longer period which lessens the expenditure curve of insurance. These are simple changes that would help.

I just don't like the idea of the government mandating that someone buy a product, simply by virtue of being born. It sets a dangerous precedent. What else will they tell we have to buy or else they'll have the IRS come after us?

^Agree but I'm also Ms insurance. I never purchase JUST the minimum. Even Bingoloid complained he's paying gold prices for bronze coverage. It's a ripoff. LA, Where do you think the people got the money to pay for the plan that saved their life? MEDICAID already subsidizes those costs. They subsidize the cost of Medicare part B plans for people on Social Security based on their incomes.

I just don't like the idea of the government mandating that someone buy a product, simply by virtue of being born. It sets a dangerous precedent. What else will they tell we have to buy or else they'll have the IRS come after us?

To be honest, I'd prefer a socialized medicine method like many of the other developed nations in the world. I mean they already tell you, pay taxes, buy car insurance etc. I'd rather cut out the middle man, get rid of insurance all together and go from there, what we're doing now that has some huge companies in the middle making a lot of money just seems really inefficient.

And no ginger, it's not just old people who've been saved, I think we have a duty as a country to do better for all citizens.

Rather than inserting the insurance layers and administrative costs perhaps we need federal hospitals and clinics. Why does everyone automatically think "insurance" when they think health care? The reason health care costs so much is because insurance has artificially inflated the value of the service.

Emergency and basic health care is subsidized and the provider bills the gov't. If you want elective surgery or your own private service then you pay for it.

Fed Gov provides education for Dr.s & nurses in exchange for six or eight years of service (at fair wages) in the federal hospital/clinic. After that you can stay or go into private practice. And of course individuals can go to med school on their own dime and go right into private if they choose.

LA, should a major medical insurance plan cost $6,000 a year? And that's not even including my employers contribution?

post edit, and add on that I earn approximately $8-10,000 less than some of my coworkers because they qualify for Earned Income Credits?

$6,000 appears to be the magic number. President Trump and even his own children appear aware of it, they mentioned it many times during the campaign.

and FS if you recall in the old days... :) not sure how old you are...my husband and I both worked. We both carried family coverage so if a disaster or even just something untoward happened ie a crushed arm that required surgery and an overnight stay, we wouldn't have a huge debt. Even child birth, one insurance company paid part and the other covered the balance. Therefore, we had no deductible, only copays. I don't think they let you do that anymore. I can't recall what year they stopped allowing it.

LA, should a major medical insurance plan cost $6,000 a year? And that's not even including my employers contribution?

post edit, and add on that I earn approximately $8-10,000 less than some of my coworkers because they qualify for Earned Income Credits?

I pay 8500 to cover my family, and my employer pays another 20k. I don't think it should cost that, but nothing in the ACA repeal and replace fixes that, it actually makes it worse. The rate of climb under "Obamacare" is actually lower than it was pre-Obamacare. Do I think the ACA is perfect? No I'd be an idiot to think it was, I know it has some major issues, but I can also point to the AHCA and say it's worse, with confidence, and that nothing in it will do anything to help middle class Americans really.

If Republican lawmakers give us this, after years of telling us they have better plans, then I'm really confused, because the biggest giveaways are to the insurance companies, and to the rich. Nothing for the middle class, working class, or the poor. You want to make the biggest impact? Have the Republicans overturn the IRS ruling that made it so "affordable" for a family was determined the way it was, which was not the original intent, that'd immediately benefit many in the middle class.

Or have them push for Single payer. That's what we should have gotten 7 years ago, but Obama didn't have the political backing from Blue dogs to get it.

$6,000 appears to be the magic number. President Trump and even his own children appear aware of it, they mentioned it many times during the campaign.

and FS if you recall in the old days... :) not sure how old you are...my husband and I both worked.

Old enough to remember when Ralph Carroll was on WNBF radio.

Also old enough to remember $50 family deductible. Then for a LONG time $250. Now my work's family plan has a $12,900 deductible!

:) That must have been before I moved here. I've heard the name but I can't place the voice.We should do an old time radio thread! $12,900...I hope you can at least use your 42 essential benefits. Earlier, I heard Congressman Collins of NY on FOX say NY has 42 essential benefits. :blink: I thought there were 10. Other states only have 10 mandates!!! Are they paying way less than we are? ( As Ted Cruz stated "I can't do anything about your greedy state.") He says nothing will change in NY because we have things set up that way with MEDICAID. He says there is a chunk of cash( FEDERAL) to cover the uninsured until the rest of the steps can be implemented, like being able to purchase insurance across state lines?

LA, you want to drag it out for another 2 years? Inaction is the antithesis to continuous improvement. According to Collins this is the only chance to have the votes. AND if NY legislature can get Medicaid off the backs of property owners, all the better. Also, this farce that there are 3 different plans...AND taking peoples tax refunds...

What happens to the students if they have no insurance and they've defaulted on their student loans because they couldn't get jobs? They'll be in the hole to the government forever!!!!!

In 2 years, you will have to wait weeks for a doctor appointment. The penalty for not having insurance will be one 250% of what it is now. Rates will go through the roof and everyone will remember this as the last year of health care freedom.

Nailed it.

Young people are not exempt from driving up health costs. Their behavioral addictions, accidents, chronic illnesses cost plenty. I agree, Medicare for all. Let the insurance company have howeowners, car, life, etc.

You tell them to find a job and get to work.

Well, since the ACA is going the way of the dodo, that would mean less companies would be forced to offer insurance... then add in jobs being removed for automation... then add in the move to contract work by larger corporations to skirt benefits... I'm sorry the get a job thing is a pretty tired narrative. We're already at the point where a lot of people can't find jobs that don't require a higher education. Are the blue collar workers just supposed to resign themselves to whatever natural no doctor lifespan they get?

"Fixes to special signup periods so less people can sign up as soon as they get sick, and carry insurance for a longer period which lessens the expenditure curve of insurance."... . - Illogical Attacks

The only time I see a post from the banned people is when someone quotes them. This is EXACTLY why I don't read their quotes.

There are no Special Signup Periods - The only time you can change status other than during the enrollment period is for Birth, Death, Marriage, DIvorce, Adoption and Losing your job.

Ad thomas is correct. Most Junkies I know have been to rehab at least 5 times. That is a huge expense.

"Fixes to special signup periods so less people can sign up as soon as they get sick, and carry insurance for a longer period which lessens the expenditure curve of insurance."... . - Illogical Attacks

The only time I see a post from the banned people is when someone quotes them. This is EXACTLY why I don't read their quotes.

There are no Special Signup Periods - The only time you can change status other than during the enrollment period is for Birth, Death, Marriage, DIvorce, Adoption and Losing your job.

Ad thomas is correct. Most Junkies I know have been to rehab at least 5 times. That is a huge expense.

Sigh again Petey, you're one of the least informed people I've ever had the displeasure to read. Feel free to quote this Ginger so Pete can see he's wrong, again

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/266372-feds-move-to-tighten-rules-for-obamacare-special-sign-up-periods

"“Many individuals have no incentive to enroll in coverage during open enrollment, but can wait until they are sick or need services before enrolling and drop coverage immediately after receiving services, making the annual open enrollment period meaningless,” Steven B. Kelmar, an executive vice president of Aetna, wrote to Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell."

--

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/us/politics/insurers-say-costs-are-climbing-as-more-enroll-past-health-act-deadline.html?_r=0

There, further sourcing.

I'm sorry Pete but you spout off so much about how Trump is going to fix policy issues that you yourself don't even understand.

EEK! FS I hope you NEVER have to use your 42 essential services!!! :D

I thought there were 10 as well.

https://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/sites/default/files/Essential%20Plan,%2010-7-15.pdf

Maybe they are including free sex change operations for prison inmates and such as essential?

Archived