SHOPPING

ginger

I just came from CVS on Robinson. I don't know how they are going to stay in business. The prices were outrageous and very little was on sale.

I like their tropical scent Just the Basics laundry detergent. For the last several years it was $4.99 for 100 ounces. Previous 5 yrs it was $3.99. It's a superior product for the price. A few months ago it was on sale and I had coupons so I got 4 of them for $2.99 each. 

Today I go in. There are no advertisement flyers. I check my coupons...had one I thought I might use...went to the detergent aisle. Guess how much...$7.99! The coupon I thought I might use was $4.00 off 3 cans of Progresso soup. The soup was $4.99 a can. I purchased 3 packages of city bags and left. Chatting with the clerk about the price of the detergent, he said every day this month the prices of everything had to be changed. 

I was at Ocean State Job Lots this past week. Razors were cheaper. I think I may have to revisit that store. I was there looking for anniversary gift wrap..I wasn't seriously shopping. I know their pastas weren't a bargain. Their olive oil was but all they had was extra virgin and I use the robust because it has a lower smoke point and I like the flavor better.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Ginger, I think CVS has been concentrating on the "health" part for several years.

I used to LOVE their sales, and can't begin to remember all the bargains I got there during the 80's-early 00's, but I don't even go in there anymore.

Toup I  had read they bought a primary care outfit and they were going to be getting into primary Healthcare themselves because why should the doctors on demand on the internet make all of the money?

Not sure when they're going to start or which markets.

I have to say, I was in PRICE Chopper this morning acting like a stock broker. I'm staring at the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce thinking, it's $2.39 a can now..do I think they'll raise the price before Thanksgiving then put it on sale and will I still end up paying more? So I bought 2 cans. I hedged my bets with Snows minced clams, V8..the small cans since they were on sale, and Hellmans. Green Giant canned veggies were buy one get one, basically 2 for $1.79. I took the last cut green beans and purchased 5 cans of creamed corn. I wonder if they're discontinuing that product. Campbell's condensed soups were 2/$3.00 so I bought several that I use for cooking purposes. They've been $1.89 for while.

59 minutes ago, ginger said:

Toup I  had read they bought a primary care outfit and they were going to be getting into primary Healthcare themselves because why should the doctors on demand on the internet make all of the money?

Not sure when they're going to start or which markets.

I have to say, I was in PRICE Chopper this morning acting like a stock broker. I'm staring at the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce thinking, it's $2.39 a can now..do I think they'll raise the price before Thanksgiving then put it on sale and will I still end up paying more? So I bought 2 cans. I hedged my bets with Snows minced clams, V8..the small cans since they were on sale, and Hellmans. Green Giant canned veggies were buy one get one, basically 2 for $1.79. I took the last cut green beans and purchased 5 cans of creamed corn. I wonder if they're discontinuing that product. Campbell's condensed soups were 2/$3.00 so I bought several that I use for cooking purposes. They've been $1.89 for while.

LOL, I did the same thing at Weis on Friday! Bought 6 cans of Snows clams @ $2 apiece, vs. $2.69. 

Thinking the same way, though. 

College Inn Stock, not broth, 2/$5. (qt size)

On 10/17/2022 at 3:02 PM, 2pelo Honey said:

LOL, I did the same thing at Weis on Friday! Bought 6 cans of Snows clams @ $2 apiece, vs. $2.69. 

Thinking the same way, though. 

College Inn Stock, not broth, 2/$5.

Seriously! $2.00! I paid full price, $2.69. I  have no idea if I can even make time to shop at Weis this week. I drove into town at 11am and went straight to PC and I've been cooking since I walked in the door. It's the only time I have to prepare meals for the week. 

1 hour ago, ginger said:

Setiously! $2.00! I paid full price, $2.69. I  have no idea if I can even make time to shop at Weis this week. I drove into town at 11am and went straight to PC and I've been cooking since I walked in the door. It's the only time I have to prepare meals for the week. 

Some good news for you…that clam sale runs thru 11/2. Just checked their website. :)

On 10/22/2022 at 6:54 PM, 2pelo Honey said:

BTW, Ginger, if you like having canned soup in the pantry as I do, Weis has Chunky on sale, thru next Wed the 26th, B2G2, so 1.65 each vs 3.29. Also, and only thru tom pm, 4 pks of Campbells chx noodle and tomato for 2.99, so .75 each. 

Thanks, I need the tomato soup. Making halupki to freeze sometime this week. I've been trying to purchase a little bit of everything each week.

The twitter people keep saying there's only 25 days of diesel fuel left and then all hell will break loose.

Lol, not sure if I believe that but at more than  $6.00/ gallon I'm sure a lot of shipping runs will be cut or cancelled.

On 10/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, 2pelo Honey said:

Some good news for you…that clam sale runs thru 11/2. Just checked their website. :)

Btw, I did make it to Weis. I may switch back to them. I grabbed more cans of clams and also found the jarred Heinz ausjus I use for peppersteak. I can't recall what else but I did note, the store was very clean and stocked..Upper front.

Well. If you didn't notice from my twitter, this past week I was in a really bad motor vehicle accident and I'm going to be down for a bit. I've no idea how long. I won't go into the gruesome details because I know most of you are "sensitive". But you know me, I get knocked down, and I get up again.

I'm going to need to get groceries delivered. I can't walk, stand or even get in and out of bed without help. I tied a heavy duty extension cord to the bed so I can pull myself up...really painful hairline crack to sternum. It's approximated but when I try to turn over or sit up... eek. Has anyone used Instacart? I just put the app on my phone. 

Lucky me I had been stocking up on stuff the past few months so its not like my cupboards and freezer are bare. I still have an entire huge cabbage in the fridge to make halupki..but didn't get the tomato soup. It'll keep. I do not anticipate I will be up for that until next week at the earliest anyway. Lol that could be the drugs talking. 😁

But back to instacart..if you can share any experience or helpful tips. I don't want to order perishables like meat or dairy and find they've turned by the time they get to my house. I'm hoping I'm up and about before Thanksgiving so I can pick out my own turkey. You know I'm kind of OCD about that ever since I found a...oops. didn't mean to remind the the "sensitive" people. Lol🙂

Oh and BTW..now I know why people get addicted to oxicodone. It really doesn't work that great. I told the ER doctor I didn't want it thinking I was going right back to work on Monday...um yeah, that was the adrenalin talking....I'm glad he didn't listen to me and called in the script anyway. It cuts the pain about 40% but only lasts 4 hours.

Four hours on the dot.

5 minutes ago, ginger said:

Oh and BTW..now I know why people get addicted to oxicodone. It really doesn't work that great. I told the ER doctor I didn't want it thinking I was going right back to work on Monday...um yeah, that was the adrenalin talking....I'm glad he didn't listen to me and called in the script anyway. It cuts the pain about 40% but only lasts 4 hours.

Four hours on the dot.

I'm also going to need to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon.  If you can recommend someone you like..please and thank you. 🙂

On 10/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, ginger said:

I just came from CVS on Robinson. I don't know how they are going to stay in business. The prices were outrageous and very little was on sale.

I like their tropical scent Just the Basics laundry detergent. For the last several years it was $4.99 for 100 ounces. Previous 5 yrs it was $3.99. It's a superior product for the price. A few months ago it was on sale and I had coupons so I got 4 of them for $2.99 each. 

Today I go in. There are no advertisement flyers. I check my coupons...had one I thought I might use...went to the detergent aisle. Guess how much...$7.99! The coupon I thought I might use was $4.00 off 3 cans of Progresso soup. The soup was $4.99 a can. I purchased 3 packages of city bags and left. Chatting with the clerk about the price of the detergent, he said every day this month the prices of everything had to be changed. 

I was at Ocean State Job Lots this past week. Razors were cheaper. I think I may have to revisit that store. I was there looking for anniversary gift wrap..I wasn't seriously shopping. I know their pastas weren't a bargain. Their olive oil was but all they had was extra virgin and I use the robust because it has a lower smoke point and I like the flavor better.

THANK GOD I BOUGHT 3 PACKAGES OF CITY BAGS!

I still have 2 left, hopefully that'll get me through!

8 minutes ago, ginger said:

THANK GOD I BOUGHT 3 PACKAGES OF CITY BAGS!

I still have 2 left, hopefully that'll get me through!

Guess I'll be making a ton of clam chowder. I actually have everything I need for that!

19 hours ago, ginger said:

Well. If you didn't notice from my twitter, this past week I was in a really bad motor vehicle accident and I'm going to be down for a bit. I've no idea how long. I won't go into the gruesome details because I know most of you are "sensitive". But you know me, I get knocked down, and I get up again.

I'm going to need to get groceries delivered. I can't walk, stand or even get in and out of bed without help. I tied a heavy duty extension cord to the bed so I can pull myself up...really painful hairline crack to sternum. It's approximated but when I try to turn over or sit up... eek. Has anyone used Instacart? I just put the app on my phone. 

Lucky me I had been stocking up on stuff the past few months so its not like my cupboards and freezer are bare. I still have an entire huge cabbage in the fridge to make halupki..but didn't get the tomato soup. It'll keep. I do not anticipate I will be up for that until next week at the earliest anyway. Lol that could be the drugs talking. 😁

But back to instacart..if you can share any experience or helpful tips. I don't want to order perishables like meat or dairy and find they've turned by the time they get to my house. I'm hoping I'm up and about before Thanksgiving so I can pick out my own turkey. You know I'm kind of OCD about that ever since I found a...oops. didn't mean to remind the the "sensitive" people. Lol🙂

Sorry to hear of your accident.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  We set my mother up with instacart up in Syracuse. It worked very well for her.  We helped her with it the first couple times so we have some direct experience, although she was able to do it herself after a couple runs.  You can set it up so they can text you live if substitutions are needed - they don’t have “x” is “y” ok.  With produce and meat there is some discretion involved so different “shoppers” sometimes buy things that people who are choosy may not love.  You pick your time slot and the process is pretty quick from start of shopping to delivery so keeping things cold wasn’t an issue we ran into.  Overall, it was a positive experience for us. 

Thanks. I already started shopping on the app for Wegmans. I really don't NEED anything on that list. If I don't do the halupki. Oh well.

I'm really a hot mess and trying to find a new primary to follow up with. My neck and right chest still have huge swellings. This happened last week, I'm still using ice packs. I tied a heavy duty extension cord to the bed so I can pull myself up because I can't sit up independently...the crack in the sternum.

I don't want to relive the accident right now. I need to get back on the phone.

Just one more thing though..I can not imagine why anyone would want to use oxycodone for pain or recreationally. It knocks me out for maybe 3 hours and I wake up feeling worse than I did before and it gives me a massive headache. It cuts the pain maybe 40%. I gave up on it. The headache isn't worth it.

• 2 months later...

What's the deal with Price Chopper? I get in a regular lane, not self serve, because I'm in pain and don't feel like dealing with checking out. I had less than 20 items. The cashier tries to hand me the scanner and asks me if I want to scan my own items. I  look around and say "Oh am I in a self checkout?" She says no. So I say OK, well you scan and I'll pack.  

Honestly, I didn't want to do either. I just wanted to get in and get out. And yes, I have looked at ordering on line but the upcharge is way too unaffordable.

29 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

No idea…last time I was there was just > TG, and I didn’t have that issue, but maybe policies changed? Stupid, on their part. 

I was at the PC on Glenwood, today. It wasn't crowded. So bizarre.

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I was at the one on 12A, off of Front.

Had maybe 8 items, and the cashier even went to produce to get me a bag to put meat in.

After I posted I read a story on Google about a woman who had the same experience at Target. She went to what she thought was a regular line but no one came so she scanned her own stuff and bagged it. There was a sign that stated no cash back, cards only. 

The line I was in did not have that sign and there was a girl behind the counter.

• 2 months later...

AHHH! Good Morning. 

Last year I purchased these red,white and blue butterflies at the Dollar store for my porch. I thought they were cute and a cheap replacement for the hundred dollars I would have spent on flowers for the spaces I hung them.

So I'm on twitter this morning and I find out these butterflies in any color are a pedophile symbol. SERIOUSLY!!! 🤨

I'm going to take them down in a few.

In other news.. Price Chopper recently had Streit's Potato Pancake mix on clearance for $1.39 a box. I purchased 2. I'm sorry I didn't grab them all.

This box mix is the real deal. 2 eggs, 2 cups of water, I fried in a little bit of olive oil, served with fried onions and Daisy sour cream...and pork roast, red cabbage and peas...

I made mine too big. I got six large and they were too mushy in the middle. Make them smaller and be sure they are flattened out as much as possible. If you don't want to stand in front of the stove that long use 2 pans.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:29 AM, ginger said:

So I'm on twitter this morning and I find out these butterflies in any color are a pedophile symbol. SERIOUSLY!!! 🤨

I'm going to take them down in a few.

They’re a sneaky lot. Look at the original swirl on the chin of Disney’s Buzz Lightyear. What is that image also associated with?