How is Concordia Restaurant a nonprofit? Or receiving nonprofit benefits?

guest11

The Concordia Restaurant is at 109 Odell Ave, Endicott.  It is owned by Oak Hill Ave Improvement Corp, they are a registered nonprofit who hasn't paid taxes in over 20 years.  So how is the Concordia Restaurant now located at 109 Odell Ave paying no taxes and having their utilities paid by a nonprofit?  The Oak Hill Ave Improvement Corp lists "neighborhood revitalization" as its primary purpose, which is the basis for its nonprofit status.

With a restaurant there, food sales are the primary purpose... not neighborhood revitalization. 

How is this fair to other businesses and restaurants in Endicott and across Broome County?  It looks like the IRS and Attorney General need to pay Concordia Restaurant a visit.

The owner Michael Romeo is an asshole.  He tried to open Celebrations on the Avenue (the old Nirchis on the Ave), but he wasn't in business long.  So he must have tried it again, only this time hiding behind non-profit status. I guarantee he will claim ignorance "oh, I didn't know!" if he is every investigated or questioned. 

What a scam!  He probably thought no one would notice.  I see on Facebook the Mayor of Endicott (who is turnout out to be a disappointment) is always there with a big drunken smile. This isn't fair for all the other restaurants, especially those in close proximity (Consols, Joey's, Oaks Inn, Rossis), they have to pay taxes and play by the rules.

I won't go there.  There's plenty of restaurants in Endicott.  I wondered how the building could go from a museum to a restaurant.  He doesn't have to pay taxes, but he can charge $40 for an entree and $14 for a cocktail.  That's just wrong. 

Saw this on FB: 

The Concordia Restaurant is a tenant at 109 Odell Ave. Oak Hill Avenue Improvement Corp is the landlord of the property and the two entities are not related. 
The Concordia Restaurant pays its own utilities and pays rent to the organization. 
I hope this clears up any confusion.

Their attempt at spin is cute, but it's not based in reality.  "The two entities are not related". According to their IRS return, Michael Romeo is President of Oak Hill Ave Improvement Corp, and he's the owner of Concordia. How are they not related? And how is that not a conflict of interest?  You can't have a nonprofit and a for-profit, at the same address, with the same principal (Michael Romeo) and claim they're not related.

Because Oak Hill Ave Improvement Corp pays no tax, the rent Romeo claims he's paying (I'd love to see proof of that) would be substantially lower than on a property where the owner pays taxes.  When Oak Hill Ave Improvement Corp's 2023 IRS filing comes out, we'll see just how much Romeo is paying for rent and utilities. 

If they removed Romeo as President, that would be a wise move.  He was still listed as President in their most recent (2023) IRS filing.  And he would have been President during the planning of the restaurant.  Frankly, Romeo even being on the board, or having any involvement, while the restaurant was planned, opened or operated, is a conflict. 

One block away at Joey's, the food and drinks are half the price, and he pays taxes. 

On 4/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, Endwellian said:

The owner Michael Romeo is an asshole.  He tried to open Celebrations on the Avenue (the old Nirchis on the Ave), but he wasn't in business long.  So he must have tried it again, only this time hiding behind non-profit status. I guarantee he will claim ignorance "oh, I didn't know!" if he is every investigated or questioned. 

On 4/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, Endwellian said:

The Nirchi's building/Celebrations is owned by a funeral home that decided they were going to use the building for something else.  They asked Mike to leave.  It wasn't Mike's choice.   They just came back to him about a month ago and told him they made a mistake!  By the way, Mike handled my wedding and reception at Celebrations, and it was perfection down to the most fine details.  I wouldn't have changed a thing.

I like the Condordia and eat there regularly.  His taxes are his problem.

I agree with the sentiment of supporting businesses who pay their fair share.  The more properties who pay taxes, the lower each property's tax burden becomes.  The concept of a restaurant renting from a nonprofit, taking over space that was a little museum, doesn't add up. That board of directors and business owner are playing fast and loose with the rules, in my opinion.