new restuarant

mulligan

Guest Guest

He wasn't made to look like an ass. That poster just made himself look like a cheap huckleberry, that he thinks there's equivalence between eating a nice meal at a nice restaurant ($100 for two) and eating fast food ($15 for two).

Yeah - one is food and the other is food. Two completely different things.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
But we have TWO WalMarts

All those people lining up to mob the new Wal-Mart at dawn, that was friggin' pathetic.

It's a Wal-Mart. They're all the same.

Guest Guest

He wasn't made to look like an ass. That poster just made himself look like a cheap huckleberry, that he thinks there's equivalence between eating a nice meal at a nice restaurant ($100 for two) and eating fast food ($15 for two).

He certainly was.

Guest Guest

Agreed. Which raises the question: what should be next? Thai has struggled, which is a shame. I would frequent a place of similar quality to Taste of Thai in Ithaca. A Tapas bar with a decent wine selection would be a successful option downtown, as well, as diners get a good degree of control over how much they spend and it can be flexible for a quick bite or a full meal.

My favorites seem to usually be along the lines that the chef finds local ingredients, things that may be in season (winter is very hard) and finds things that look fresh. It might be fish, poultry, beef, etc. and builds a menu around that, usually just for a day/week and combines that we a few standard menu items. Granted it's hit or miss, you might not like what's being offered on any given day, but when you get a hit it tends to be very good.

I haven't found something like that here. Yes, many have their blackboard specials, but the focus isn't on the daily 'this looks good today' with some creativity. Maybe it exists and I just don't know it.

A few interesting things have popped up. The Korean thing was nice once/twice. PS tends to have some surprises, but it just doesn't hit a chord.

Beethoven and Weird Al are both musicians.

Good point.

Shop where you want for what you need. Walmarts, Kmarts, to Macy's, Bloomingdale's, etc.

Just like with restaurants. You want to spend $$$, you decide the atmosphere.

We like the unusual specials also. Especially when they are a hit and are put on the menu.

Guest "McD's"

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the first person to get fired from Burger Monday's. I guest they couldn't make that big leap up from McD's.

Excuse me, my cousin with Down Syndrome works at McDonald's, and is very proud of it. Please don't make fun of people working at "McD's" as you put it. At least some people are working.

Guest Touche`

Excuse me, my cousin with Down Syndrome works at McDonald's, and is very proud of it. Please don't make fun of people working at "McD's" as you put it. At least some people are working.

There you go all you bully 'guests'.

Guest guest

My favorites seem to usually be along the lines that the chef finds local ingredients, things that may be in season (winter is very hard) and finds things that look fresh. It might be fish, poultry, beef, etc. and builds a menu around that, usually just for a day/week and combines that we a few standard menu items. Granted it's hit or miss, you might not like what's being offered on any given day, but when you get a hit it tends to be very good.

I haven't found something like that here. Yes, many have their blackboard specials, but the focus isn't on the daily 'this looks good today' with some creativity. Maybe it exists and I just don't know it.

A few interesting things have popped up. The Korean thing was nice once/twice. PS tends to have some surprises, but it just doesn't hit a chord.

Guest Guest
Lost Dog has two CIA trained chefs that do 2-3 specials daily with local beef, poultry & vegetables. Very creative and healthy too.

The specials there almost always sound amazing, but I can never seem to break away from the Greek chicken. I wish they'd bring back that apple galette dessert with the whole hot apple inside.

Guest Guest

It's a Wal-Mart. They're all the same.

Mmmmm -- I stopped in there just recently for the first time and I felt

it was to "warehousey" like a Sams Club. Just didn't make me want to get

my $$ out of my pocket like the Vestal one does.

Guest Guest

I've heard that 'specials' are just a way to use up leftovers --

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Beware of fish on Sundays and Mondays, according to Anthony Bourdain. ;)

Guest Guest

Lost Dog has two CIA trained chefs that do 2-3 specials daily with local beef, poultry & vegetables. Very creative and healthy too.

No restaruant in the Downtown area, new or old, can even come close to the menu or way they prepare at Lost Dog! That's a fact Jack!

Guest Guest

No restaruant in the Downtown area, new or old, can even come close to the menu or way they prepare at Lost Dog! That's a fact Jack!

Ok, the last few times I didn't get a hit on the special board and the last time they were apparently out of the specials. I can't give up now!!!! Need to keep trying I guess :-)

Are there any other places that focus on local ingredients with chefs that are creative?

Maybe I need a new thread.

Guest Guest

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

View Postguest, on 22 March 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

Right! Bad part of town Chefs I do not think so,in title only> Dishes right off the food network. No Parking. Filthy/dirty check BC Health Dept Inspections. To crowed. No consistency in food or service. Also it is restaurant. Was great is not any longer.

Archived