12 shots fired at Wilson

Momma Mia

Someone made the comments that it could be the shooter was on illegal drugs.

Another thought: There are so many commercials on TV for legal drugs to be prescribed by your doctor. I often wonder about the prescription drugs that are coming out so fast. How well are they tested and researched? What combination of legal drugs could trigger chemical reactions in the brain that might cause a psychotic episode. He was a model employee for over 5 years. No record anything suspicious in his house or on his computer.

Heavy, illegal drug usage could have an effect on a person, but the symptoms or warning signs would have been evident before now.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The symptoms or warning signs would have been evident before now." Not necessarily. A first time try of an LSD or a bath salt can trigger a psychotic episode. Ambien on a first try can get weird reactions. Allergic reactions on first exposures to a new medication can trigger hallucinations, I have seen it first hand with a family member on tramadol.

"The symptoms or warning signs would have been evident before now." Not necessarily. A first time try of an LSD or a bath salt can trigger a psychotic episode. Ambien on a first try can get weird reactions. Allergic reactions on first exposures to a new medication can trigger hallucinations, I have seen it first hand with a family member on tramadol.

Yes, you are right about that. I was referring to prolonged drug use.

Not necessarily but 99.9999% likely.

I did LSD as a teenager. I take Ambien. The likelihood that it was either that made Clark have what appears to be a stupefyingly major psychotic break the first time he took either is tiny, tiny, tiny.

Neither LDS or Ambien make people violent, much less insane and murderous. You'd have to be very unbalanced to get a reaction like this the first time you did LSD. And he wasn't.

Hallucinations from some meds? Ok, I'll buy that. Homicidal rampages? No sale here.

A brain tumor would most likely have manifested much more slowly, with very mild symptoms at first, as they usually do.

He likely had an hour of whatever he was going through from perhaps the time he left his house for work in the morning to the time he decided in a microsecond to grab a cop's gun and fire off two, point blank. Even if he left early, two hours tops. This sort of thing is virtually unheard of.

Sure, anything is possible. So is seeing a gaggle of leprechauns riding a pride of unicorns to Bigfoot's and Red Riding Hood's wedding in a magic shack in the Enchanted Forest.

Behavior like this that is caused by drug abuse is indicative of years and years of abuse of some extremely heavy drugs. He was an MRI tech. I know his boss. She's not a dumb lady. She would have known something wasn't right long before this happened if he were a tweaker or something.

"Bath salts"......eh, maybe...but first time user goes homicidal on a cop? I still think not.

I think we don't yet have all the facts and info. What IS likely is that we will get some info in the near future that will be some sort satisfactory explanation for what happened.

Very nicely done by Elmira WENY TV News.

It's good to see the outpouring of Law Enforcement officers come to pay tribute to Smith. If I were a cop in upstate NY, the only reason I would have missed it would be if I had to work.

One thought that I had watching the lines of cops in the news video: wouldn't it be something if the same show of support happened for many other professions? I mean this in no joking manner.

I really feel for his wife and kids. Sure, cops' wives live with the knowledge that any day may be his last, but I'm sure they never really expect anything other than to watch their kids grow up and grow old together.

Everything that I've heard and read makes it obvious that Officer Smith was everything that is right and good about cops.

I found out Monday that he and I are related: cousins a few generations removed. He's resting now in the same cemetery as some of his and my common relatives, and that's a nice thought.

As a retired Police Officer, who attended the funeral, it was so heart warming to see such a turn out from fellow officers and the support they gave was amazing and much appreciated. It was so cold standing there outside the church for hours but everyone stood in formation without complaint honoring Officer Smith. On the route from JC to the cemetery, there were many people outside standing in the cold saluting, holding their hand over their hearts while some even waved flags...gives one a new belief that this area still has hope with many good people living here! A big thanks to the Fire Departments and Emergency services for all their support and the giant flag displayed over CFJ between the two Fire Trucks was truly amazing. The clincher was the children outside their schools waving at the Funeral Procession as it drove by. The support from all was definitely appreciated! A big thanks to all!

The model employee...any changes in workplace policy lately? A policy that would THREATEN to compromise the integrity of the employee?

The model employee...any changes in workplace policy lately? A policy that would THREATEN to compromise the integrity of the employee?

Where are you going with this? What kind of office policy would threaten some one's integrity?

I've had three MRI's there, and while I don't remember this tech, everyone I saw there was pleasant and completely professional. I never sensed any "interpersonal/office drama" of any sort.

(hands on hips toe tapping) I didn't say interpersonal. I asked about POLICY and procedure, ie attendance policy, break time policy, vacation policy...there was a huge smoking policy change last November elicited by the state of NY in conjunction with ANA domestic and global initiatives that affected( caused anxiety and panic attacks which sent some model employees to emergency rooms). Although that sounds a little removed it's been a long, frigid winter. Mr. Clark attacked a POLICE officer on his home campus. My best guess...attendance policy.

Lets not throw stones at anyone's opinion's those opinion's will always be made and accepted here.

I have to say State Trooper Major Donald Faughnan is a class act he had the right things to say about Officer David Smith. I feel bad for the family the pain will never go away for them.

Let's not forget Officer Smith in our prayers.

Garo K.

I think people are desperate for a rational explanation for something that was simply irrational. I wouldn't be surprised if the winter was a factor in whatever stressed someone to the point that they snapped, though.

If nothing comes up from the autopsy that would explain this, my guess would be that he had mild to moderate symptoms for some time and was hiding them. A lot of people still associate mental illness with a heavy stigma, and he was educated enough that he may have been able to recognize symptoms for what they were but perhaps believed he could handle it fine on his own, maybe afraid he would damage his family or job situation by telling anyone what he was going through. Things like "command voices" are very scary for people and they may just be uncomfortable telling anyone, going without incident for their entire lives.

That's obviously totally speculative, but I've seen something like that play out before.. There are a lot of people out there who are attempting to manage or ignore symptoms on their own, and you might never know it even if you were very close to them. Even if it was a physical problem affecting his brain, people are often too scared of what it might be to get help and ignore headaches, vision problems, etc. and insist they're fine instead of asking a doctor.

Well Bing, you work for yourself. Just an example off the top of my head... How would you like to be told that if you call in sick you will be penalized with 6 points...even though you have accrued paid sick time and rarely take a day off?

Well Bing, you work for yourself. Just an example off the top of my head... How would you like to be told that if you call in sick you will be penalized with 6 points...even though you have accrued paid sick time and rarely take a day off?

I would not like it.

There has never been anything in my life that I disliked so much that it caused me to make up a bomb threat, argue with my coworkers about it, and attack a cop.

If there was, I'd hopefully still have the sense to understand I need to be evaluated because something is very wrong.

Are we having a serious conversation here? Do you really think any person with a healthy brain would react to a new attendance policy this way, as opposed to, say, checking the want ads?

Bajwa is the personal owner of the MRI machine. The MRI tech's are employees of Bajwa's practice. I wonder if the Smith family have a potential cause of action against not only Clark's insurance but the medical practice as well?

Seems odd that not one, but two middle-aged local men that worked for him suddenly turned into homicidal maniacs, doesn't it?

(anyone remember Larry Oney? http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Triangle-Fire-Ruled-Homicide-152360505.html )

Although, for the life of me, I can't think of a connection other than the obvious...they both worked in the same place.

(hands on hips toe tapping) I didn't say interpersonal. I asked about POLICY and procedure, ie attendance policy, break time policy, vacation policy...there was a huge smoking policy change last November elicited by the state of NY in conjunction with ANA domestic and global initiatives that affected( caused anxiety and panic attacks which sent some model employees to emergency rooms). Although that sounds a little removed it's been a long, frigid winter. Mr. Clark attacked a POLICE officer on his home campus. My best guess...attendance policy.

Maybe I'm not quite getting the point here....

If a smoking policy change was the main catalyst for Clark doing what he did, he needed to not be working for anyone, ever again.

I worked at Lourdes for 3 years. Since 2006, they’ve had a “no smoking on hospital grounds” policy. In all that time, I don’t remember anyone going homicidal on someone who had nothing to do with not being able to smoke at work.

If you work in health care, you shouldn’t be smoking to begin with. It’s antithetical to wellness and the very concept of health care. It’s also an unnecessary burden on all of us who pay taxes.

If you work in health care and you can’t handle not being able to smoke at work, you need to find another profession. Now.

A new attendance policy made him grab a cop’s gun and shoot him in the head?

For real?

Seems odd that not one, but two middle-aged local men that worked for him suddenly turned into homicidal maniacs, doesn't it?

(anyone remember Larry Oney? http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Triangle-Fire-Ruled-Homicide-152360505.html )

Although, for the life of me, I can't think of a connection other than the obvious...they both worked in the same place.

Wasn't Oney facing the pending threat of a divorce and loss of custody of a child? Even PA's can have severe mental/emotional problems that are unconnected to the rest of the world's problems.

Archived