Horrible accident in Binghamton

Jtown607

These two innocent girls get mowed down by some loser on drugs.  Why are we even allowing these animals to be out in the public?  You have idiot organizations like Truth Pharm that are handing out Narcan like candy, just enabling these animals just to get as high as they can and do dangerous stuff.  They are stealing everything and wasting the resources of the hospitals, cops and ambulances.  

God Bless these two girls and their families - this makes me so sick.  I hope this animal faces YEARS in jail!  Sadly, look at the person who hit Officer Rossi in Port Dickinson, he served like 3-4 years in jail?  The girl who ran down the guy in Tom's Parking lot on Main Street - she got less than a year in jail and PROBATION!!  What is wrong with this photo?

Just heard one of the girls died. They kept her on life support long enough so the parents could see her (they were on vacation). 

Here’s a link to the GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/britney-and-harpers-gofundme?fbclid=IwAR2Ub14AqNQmO21c3DcmZZpRXoYWIVADq1-VbS6nLMnxzuKZECggQT5sHK4

The scumbag who hit them pleaded not guilty. Of course he did. That’s our court system. 

A47E6D6E-526D-4A93-A023-E4E44D6DE632.jpeg

12 hours ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

And the award for one of the most inconsiderate people during this time goes to your favorite local pressconnets reporter. He posted this today as a reminder. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/PSBABorrelli/status/1105938983987630080

Actually it's you, trying to use the tragedy on Beethoven Street, to attack a reporter, for an unrelated tweet, that is inconsiderate.  And shameful. 

Think you're off base here. It's a terrible thing but my understanding is that the driver mounted the curb to hit them. Totally separate situation, and nothing to do with anything.

Borrelli pointed out a legitimate problem. Certain local police are major contributors to the problem by refusing to ticket the most dangerous and disruptive examples and teaching everyone that there are no consequences. People get used to seeing everyone acting like trash and just tune it out like it's normal. Dangerous pedestrian behaviors don't become OK for some specified period of mourning just because of an unrelated tragedy.

Just now, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

Mounted the curb to hit them or mounted the curb to avoid hitting them? From my understanding the man admitted to using drugs. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol  has a high probability of placing the driver at blame rather than two innocent girls walking down the street. 

My understanding from the news stories was that he left the roadway and subsequently hit them.

It doesn't really matter: there's a significant moral difference between people walking down a side street where people have plenty of time to see you (not a great idea, but something people do and where a driver can be reasonably expected to see you and react in time) and running out across moving traffic on a busy roadway, which is what Borrelli was addressing.

Yes, people do that here, and I've nearly been rear-ended because I've had to stop just past an intersection on Main when a BPD patrol car slammed on their brakes to avoid jaywalkers, then smiled and patiently waved the idiots on like they'd done nothing wrong. Textbook example of a time that jaywalking tickets are 100% morally justified.

Agreeing with your sentiment, Bingoloid, but you've jumped the shark when you start trying to apply discussion of morals to jaywalking.

-----------------

Separately, look into the history of jaywalking and how laws against it came about. You might be surprised, or disgusted, at what you find.

32 minutes ago, OTR said:

Agreeing with your sentiment, Bingoloid, but you've jumped the shark when you start trying to apply discussion of morals to jaywalking.

Nah, I'm going to be an ornery old man about this. 

Walking out into traffic can easily cause a car accident, as well as a lasting nightmare for anybody who ends up hitting them, not to mention their own loved ones. People who have a selfish disregard for the harm they could cause others are absolutely a moral issue.

...and again, I'm not talking about people who are simply walking along the shoulder or who take a moment to observe traffic and cross responsibly.

Separately, look into the history of jaywalking and how laws against it came about. You might be surprised, or disgusted, at what you find.

I'm well aware of it, and a big supporter of making neighborhoods more walkable and as pedestrian-friendly as possible. Yet we have the streets we have and we're all adults. Figuring out how to cross without incident is a developmental milestone we all have under control by puberty.

If some chucklefuck is 20+ and still stumbling into the middle of busy streets against the light while people slam their brakes and lay on their horns, something's up with them and a ticket is an appropriate teaching aid so that they don't have to move on to the final lesson, a faceplant through somebody's windshield before they file bankruptcy and stick the rest of us with their emergency room bill.

Borrelli is right to bitch about this.

...but this whole conversation is a digression from the OP's point, about an entirely different selfish chucklefuck, this one behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived