CURIOUS STATEMENT FROM CORNWELL: We went down to Debbie Preston's office and were told she's unavailable

Bingking

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the story, the account was not on the records of the town. The implication here is that she stole the town's identity to get credit for personal use and continued using it for many months after leaving office. I'm assuming she paid it, since the town was not aware of it.

It sounds like there are felonies there.

The story does not preclude her being indicted or arrested. That is merely not part of the documentation leaked to NewsChannel 34.

Since when is charging something and then paying it off a felony?

If she made the payments on the card then she could plead innocence.

WHO MADE THE PAYMENTS?????

How does that work?

If she concealed the account from the town - and the letter shows that she put her personal phone number on it - her payments don't mitigate the underlying identity theft. The documents also raise concern that she could have been using the fact that it was a business card to evade the payment of sales tax.

It is not necessary that she actually cost the town money for it be a felony, only that she improperly used the city's identity to persuade the credit card company to let her use money that she had no right to.

It's conceivable that the town's accounting controls are so poor that they don't have a rule that makes this improper, but unlikely. She can claim innocence in the sense that "I am a country rube and didn't know I couldn't just do whatever I want", but knowing it's illegal isn't an element of the crime.

Since when is charging something and then paying it off a felony?

Among various and sundry other statutes that may apply here, New York Penal Law § 190.80 Identity theft in the first degree
A person is guilty of identity theft in the first degree when he or she knowingly and with intent to defraud assumes the identity of another person by presenting himself or herself as that other person, or by acting as that other person or by using personal identifying information of that other person, and thereby:
1. obtains goods, money, property or services or uses credit in the name of such other person in an aggregate amount that exceeds two thousand dollars
Identity theft in the first degree is a class D felony.
It is not relevant that she paid it back. If she did not have authorization to open a business card on the town's credit for personal use and to continue using it after leaving the employment of the town, she would be defrauding the creditor into giving her access to funds they would not have otherwise given.
That she put her personal phone number on the account and concealed the existence of the account from the town's accounting operations strongly points to actual knowledge that this was improper.
You don't just get a blank check to write yourself personal loans against an employer's credit just because you work there, whether you pay them back or not. If she did not have the proper authorization to open the line of credit and use it for personal purposes - and continue using it after leaving the town's employment, she should resign from public office immediately. Yesterday. Last week.

My understanding is it was settled years ago and restitution was made. It was taken care of back then and over and done. So you ask yourselves why is it being brought now? It's all too obvious why!!! Garnar and his GANG will do anything to give Citizen Action's Mary Clark an office on the sixth floor!! Think it's funny? Watch!!

Ben B who support's Garnar wants to be County Attorney.

Barb Fiala wants her son Tony a job and heard he is going to be given Deputy County Executive. No joking matter!!!

What will Citizen Action's Mary Clark's position be?????

People be careful Jason Garnar is not what he appears to be.

How does that work?

If she concealed the account from the town - and the letter shows that she put her personal phone number on it - her payments don't mitigate the underlying identity theft. The documents also raise concern that she could have been using the fact that it was a business card to evade the payment of sales tax.

It is not necessary that she actually cost the town money for it be a felony, only that she improperly used the city's identity to persuade the credit card company to let her use money that she had no right to.

It's conceivable that the town's accounting controls are so poor that they don't have a rule that makes this improper, but unlikely. She can claim innocence in the sense that "I am a country rube and didn't know I couldn't just do whatever I want", but knowing it's illegal isn't an element of the crime.

Well I actually did the work regarding the sales tax issue.

There is one charge that is easy to test, $43.18 to Binghamton AGWAY on 5/26/2012.

$43.18/1.08 = $39.98. So she probably bought 1 thing for $39.98 or 2 things at $19.99 and paid the sales tax on them.

My understanding is it was settled years ago and restitution was made. It was taken care of back then and over and done. So you ask yourselves why is it being brought now? It's all too obvious why!!! Garnar and his GANG will do anything to give Citizen Action's Mary Clark an office on the sixth floor!! Think it's funny? Watch!!

Barb Fiala wants her son Tony a job and heard he is going to be given Deputy County Executive. No joking matter!!!

What is he????? Inquiring minds want to know......................

Well I actually did the work regarding the sales tax issue.

There is one charge that is easy to test, $43.18 to Binghamton AGWAY on 5/26/2012.

$43.18/1.08 = $39.98. So she probably bought 1 thing for $39.98 or 2 things at $19.99 and paid the sales tax on them.

Dude.

Seriously.

Fair enough, but look at the statements. She appears to be buying her gaddam groceries at Weis with a business credit card she opened up in her employer's name without notifying them.

This is not OK. This is not something any normal person would think is OK. Commingling your personal finances with a corporation that covers your own business and *is actually your corporation where you are the majority shareholder* is a major no-no. She's commingled her personal finances with an entire town and deceived both them and the credit card company to do it. Do you actually see an argument here where someone can claim an innocent intent?

"Oh, yeah, my credit sucks so I'll just use the name of someone close to me with good credit to get a credit card. I'll max it out, but eventually I'll pay it off, they'll never find out, and it'll be fine."

No. Not fine. Bad juju. Attorneys. Police.

Dude.

Seriously.

Fair enough, but look at the statements. She appears to be buying her gaddam groceries at Weis with a business credit card she opened up in her employer's name without notifying them.

This is not OK. This is not something any normal person would think is OK. Commingling your personal finances with a corporation that covers your own business and *is actually your corporation where you are the majority shareholder* is a major no-no. She's commingled her personal finances with an entire town and deceived both them and the credit card company to do it. Do you actually see an argument here where someone can claim an innocent intent here?

"Oh, yeah, my credit sucks so I'll just use the name of someone close to me with good credit to get a credit card. I'll pay it off, they'll never find out, and it'll be fine."

No. Not fine. Attorneys. Police.

Was she making payments when the card was in effect?

Was she making payments when the card was in effect?

The town sure wasn't, so obviously she was. If she didn't, the town would've found out about the account when Discover sued them.

Note the summary which is clearly marked "After Mark" - apparently referring to C&G attorney Mark Gorgos, representing the Town of Conklin - for a final (? or did she drag this out for months beyond the date of that screenshot) flurry of $3,500+ in charges that were made on the June statement, including a $1,200+ shopping spree at Talbot's, a women's clothing store.

Those emails were from April.

It would appear that she not only kept using this after she left the employment of the town, she kept using it after the town's legal team told her to get her head out of her ass and she promised she was taking care of it.

I stand by my earlier remark. This is trailer park stupid.

From the 34 story:

"UPDATE: The Office of Broome County District Attorney Steve Cornwell tells NewsChannel 34 that a criminal investigation into Preston's use of the Town of Conklin credit card has been conducted and the findings will be presented to a special prosecutor once one is appointed. Cornwell has recused himself from the case. It will be up to New York State Supreme Court Judge Molly Fitzgerald, who serves as the Administrative Judge for New York's 6th Judicial District, to appoint a special prosecutor for the case."

What is he????? Inquiring minds want to know......................

Nothing more than a Lacky for Citizen Action and his band of cut throat's and Garnar did it to people they considered to be close friends of his......... But..............he stabbed Russo RIP, Massar, and Cordisco in the back. Later he turned on Mike Najarian who at the time was Democrat Party Chairman and ran to Citizen Action.

Here is what Jason Garnar things of his constituents..........

FACT's.......Garnar made statements saying for years he wanted to move out of Binghamton because he didn't want his children going to the Binghamton Schools. He moved just down the road from his old house into the Chenago Valley School District!

Second he made statements that his Citizen Action friends were Scumbags and Black people!! I have PROOF to PROVE IT!!

Interesting set of emails.

Lisa Houston was communicating with her personal email at stny.rr.com instead of using her townofconklin email address. I wonder why?

At this time all I can see is that Preston was stupid.

Someone else should be in trouble for releasing confidential lawyer/client communications.

Interesting set of emails.

Lisa Houston was communicating with her personal email at stny.rr.com instead of using her townofconklin email address. I wonder why?

At this time all I can see is that Preston was stupid.

Someone else should be in trouble for releasing confidential lawyer/client communications.

:lol:

Pete, are you and Debbie an item?

Preston opens a credit card in the town's name. "Ah, that could all be innocent."

Preston conceals it from the town, puts her personal contact information on it, and maxes it out with personal shopping sprees. "Yeah, but she made the payments."

Preston keeps using it after she's left the town's employment and undeniably has actual knowledge that she no longer has any right to use the town's name or credit. "Pfft, how is that a felony?"

Preston tells the town's lawyers she's taking care of it and immediately runs out to continue frantically using it for the following month, including buying four figures worth of dresses. "...OK, OK, that was stupid, but how did these emails get out anyway? That's the real scandal here!"

Pull yourself together. There is nothing she could be doing to you that's worth your dignity.

The part of this that is missing is who made the monthly payments on the account? Was it the town or was it Preston?

and how many cards are in her wallet right now that say Broome County.

How does that work?

So, in essence, you're saying it's wrong???

;)

OK here you go..............She was never arrested.................I find it odd that the DA would say anything with the Media camped out on his door step in regards to his statement. He should have said I have no comment at this time. It's the timing of this whole thing and when the smoke clears everyone will be surprised.

I also find it interesting that the Media chases a story before a Cornwell's statement when i put up a story of possible abuse by Jason Garnar at the Family Foundation School just out side of Hancock, NY.

A student make a statement on the site the kids started who were abused. One of them an Emil Fischer made the remark that i quoted Jason Garnar is "nothing but big piece of garbage." The Media doesn't even look into the man who is running for County Executive?

I put this up weeks ago and not a word has been brought up about it!

Garo...I understand your axe to grind with Garner....But if you support Preston...

Nothing more than a Lacky for Citizen Action and his band of cut throat's and Garnar did it to people they considered to be close friends of his......... But..............he stabbed Russo RIP, Massar, and Cordisco in the back. Later he turned on Mike Najarian who at the time was Democrat Party Chairman and ran to Citizen Action.

Here is what Jason Garnar things of his constituents..........

FACT's.......Garnar made statements saying for years he wanted to move out of Binghamton because he didn't want his children going to the Binghamton Schools. He moved just down the road from his old house into the Chenago Valley School District!

Second he made statements that his Citizen Action friends were Scumbags and Black people!! I have PROOF to PROVE IT!!

awesome....finally some PROOF about something.....so.....lets see it.......im betting....NOTHING

:lol:

Pete, are you and Debbie an item?

Preston opens a credit card in the town's name. "Ah, that could all be innocent."

Preston conceals it from the town, puts her personal contact information on it, and maxes it out with personal shopping sprees. "Yeah, but she made the payments."

Preston keeps using it after she's left the town's employment and undeniably has actual knowledge that she no longer has any right to use the town's name or credit. "Pfft, how is that a felony?"

Preston tells the town's lawyers she's taking care of it and immediately runs out to continue frantically using it for the following month, including buying four figures worth of dresses. "...OK, OK, that was stupid, but how did these emails get out anyway? That's the real scandal here!"

Pull yourself together. There is nothing she could be doing to you that's worth your dignity.

Shame on Debbie, if someone opened a credit card under my name regardless of made payments it doesn't matter because they did it without my knowledge and they should be held accountable. God help John Bernardo if he knew about this and never brought it forward. I am sure investigators are sitting down with him and asking him questions about this

Archived