Shooting at Civic Assoc - Exclusive Pictures

dlinclimo

Are there any releases on victims?? I saw on Yahoo that Dr. King's mother was not listed among the survivors...She is a good friend of the family and we have not been able to reach anyone...

Every time I go to Pressconnects, it freezes up my whole computer...

Any info would be appreciated...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any releases on victims?? I saw on Yahoo that Dr. King's mother was not listed among the survivors...She is a good friend of the family and we have not been able to reach anyone...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hostage_shooting

Dr. Jeffrey King, speaking at a Catholic Charities office where counseling was being offered Friday night, said he was certain his mother, 72-year-old Roberta King, who taught English at the community center, was among the dead.

Authorities read a list of survivors and his mother's name wasn't on it, he said.

King, one of 10 children, described his mother as a woman brimming with interests ranging from the opera to the preservation society to collecting thousands of dolls. He recollected a recent conversation in which he told her to enjoy her retirement.

"I said, 'Mom you're in your 70s,'" King said. "She said, 'What? You don't think I enjoy working?'"

So sorry...

That was the same article I read, but wondered if it was confirmed as of yet if she was, in fact, among the victims...I have let my mother know what I read...We are all devestated...for the whole King family. My mother and Bobbi were very close...My mother helped her with her doll collection and dressing them all...

@

Are you brain dead? You want to pay off the people that got hurt and the families of the victims?

@

I made the post, and it was made with ONLY the politicians in mind. After watching politicians for years, I've come to the conclusion that virtually all of them are shameless, and will take any and all opportunities to try to enhance their political lives in every way possible, even by using tragedies to profess grief, if they think that doing so is to their benefit. I saw it happen repeatedly during the Katrina catastrophy, and I believe that I saw it happen again today, during our tragedy. Frankly, I have zero use for politicians, and my post was meant as a put-down meant for them. My post was meant as derision for the Governor, and probably all of them who said something to the effect of: "We'll do whatever we can to help with the situation." If you think about it, what else can they realistically do, except give money? In my estimation, again, their words were really pretty useless (we'll do whatever we can to help with the situation."), as far as actually doing anything to help the survivors of the slaughter.

In retrospect, perhaps the placement and timing of my post was ill chosen, but my distain for politicians remains.

uncle Festus

@

Not a problem....everyone has a hard time dealing with this.....I just plain broke down and cried.

I refuse to take this sad event as an opportunity to push an agenda.

Please all join me in praying or thinking about those who are hurting.

@

That's a common problem as Internet Explorer, and at times Firefox have a hard time processing all of the junk at that site (ads etc). I exclusively use the new Google Chrome browser for all gannet newspaper sites (pressconnects, other Gannett-owned sites, USA Today too)

Download it here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...utm_campaign=en

it's a fast install.

Wolf

=

If you are referring to the allergist Dr. King, i go to school with his son and he is on my swim team. I just, cant grasp it, its not fair that family has done nothing wrong to anyone. They of all people did not deserve this. I texted the son and gave him my best regards. His family and the rest of the families will be in my prayers tonight. Heartbreaking, catastrophic, unfair, DELETED .

If you are referring to the allergist Dr. King, i go to school with his son and he is on my swim team. I just, cant grasp it, its not fair that family has done nothing wrong to anyone. They of all people did not deserve this. I texted the son and gave him my best regards. His family and the rest of the families will be in my prayers tonight. Heartbreaking, catastrophic, unfair, DELETED .

Yes...that is who I am refferring to...His mother and my mother are great friends. My mom had been trying to reach as soon as my mother heard the news...since around 11 am...I happened to read the article in Yahoo News that Dr King believed his mom was among the dead since she was not listed among the survivors.

I feel like people out of town know more about this than me.I knew nothing about a memorial service until late last night. The TV news this morning is from last night-I saw on MSNBC early this morning that a Pakistani Taliban leader says that his organization is taking responsibility for this, but they can't prove a link...I was just beside myself reading this. And the poor failies of all those involved. I am sure that there will be some sort of fund set up for the victims families. But i am sure I will get the news about that from BC Voice also.

That's a common problem as Internet Explorer, and at times Firefox have a hard time processing all of the junk at that site (ads etc). I exclusively use the new Google Chrome browser for all gannet newspaper sites (pressconnects, other Gannett-owned sites, USA Today too)

Download it here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...utm_campaign=en

it's a fast install.

Wolf

=

Thanks so much for the tip! I got right in and there is even a spell check feature with the browser. This should be the browser for all of us as it will cut down all the discussion about those who can't spell (some of us just don't TYPE well)!

I made the post, and it was made with ONLY the politicians in mind. After watching politicians for years, I've come to the conclusion that virtually all of them are shameless, and will take any and all opportunities to try to enhance their political lives in every way possible, even by using tragedies to profess grief, if they think that doing so is to their benefit. I saw it happen repeatedly during the Katrina catastrophy, and I believe that I saw it happen again today, during our tragedy. Frankly, I have zero use for politicians, and my post was meant as a put-down meant for them. My post was meant as derision for the Governor, and probably all of them who said something to the effect of: "We'll do whatever we can to help with the situation." If you think about it, what else can they realistically do, except give money? In my estimation, again, their words were really pretty useless (we'll do whatever we can to help with the situation."), as far as actually doing anything to help the survivors of the slaughter.

In retrospect, perhaps the placement and timing of my post was ill chosen, but my distain for politicians remains.

uncle Festus

@

So it was sarcasm? If so I apologize.

I monitored BCV at work today in order to stay on top of breaking news. Great job BTK, Garo, and everyone else for helping those who couldn't get to a TV. As usual, BCV is first with news. I have good thoughts to the families of the victims, as well as anyone touched by this tragedy.

Ditto. I was appalled at the lack of coverage by our local "media" throughout the day. WBNG apparently did not think it newsworthy enough to interrupt their soap operas and 1290 thought it more important to have "Talk With Tony" and Rush Limbaugh with only minimal interruptions. Unbelievable!!!!!

Here's a link to more about the alleged shooter

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...4817,full.story

It's interesting about the confusion surrounding this guy's identity. He went from being an IBM employee to being a cafeteria caterer in LA. He's either Voong or Wong. He was in his 60's, later updated to be in his 20's - so take the average and he's now 42.

I think the Police Chief is the one who's earned my respect the most out of this situation. He repeated many times during the press conference that he refused to name the suspect because he didn't want to misidentify him until he's 100% sure who it was. Right now, there's a bunch of Voongs and Wongs that across the country that are now being linked to this.

Guest Guest

I am starting to put more and more faith in the apparant rantings of the BCVoice community... The only way I was able to get news was from CNN and BCVoice adn yes, still this morning, Pressconnects is not loading. COME ON BROOME COUNTY!!!!! Thanks to everyone who was responsibly reporting yesterday.

Guest Guest
If you are referring to the allergist Dr. King DELETED .

I know a Dr. King who is an ENT....are there 2 Dr. King's in the area? One, an ENT and another an allergist????

=

Guest Guest
The Governor, State Senator Libous. and Congressman Hinchey all showed up with their 2 cents worth of condolences. Wonder where Schumer, and the other Senator are? Also, we heard from the President and Vice President, but why didn't they also come to town? I haven't heard anything from Fiala. I think that I did hear from the latest candidate for Mayor, someone I think is named Merrill. It's good to see that all these politicians are such caring people.

Why do we need all those politicians here? Patterson and Hinchey flew in from Albany-for what? How much did that cost the taxpayers? What did they accomplish here that they didnt already say from Albany? Dont they understand desperate people do desperate things? Bottom line weither the man was "degraded" because of his language skills or he just didnt fit in, he lost his job. There are thousands of New Yorkers in the same boat. People are going to start getting crazy. They can only take so much. Under the circumstances and out of respect for ALL New Yorkers Patterson,Hinchey Libous had no business being here. Pattersons plan for NY is to lay off thousands more people. Doesnt he realize the potential his actions can have.

Guest Guest

New York Daily News has a picture of the alleged shooter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/04/04...ly_wong_co.html

I don't think this guy worked for IBM.

IBM doesn't do much manufacturing here anymore and it sounds like that's what he did.

He might have worked for EIT, but Shop Vac just shut down, so that maybe were he just got laid off from.

I see our NEWS leaders here, WBNG, PS&B and others have no local sources, they have to resort to AP and other out of town news agencies to get their news here.

WCBS, WNBC and WABC all had better coverage than any of the locals.

=

Guest Guest
It's interesting about the confusion surrounding this guy's identity. He went from being an IBM employee to being a cafeteria caterer in LA. He's either Voong or Wong. He was in his 60's, later updated to be in his 20's - so take the average and he's now 42.

I think the Police Chief is the one who's earned my respect the most out of this situation. He repeated many times during the press conference that he refused to name the suspect because he didn't want to misidentify him until he's 100% sure who it was. Right now, there's a bunch of Voongs and Wongs that across the country that are now being linked to this.

Why are you surprised at the confusion? Most immigrants who come to this country have aliases. Perhaps if they werent allowed to use anything other than their given name we would be able to keep better track of these people. Not being sarcastic but have you ever noticed most asians have the same last name? Sometimes names get transposed during translation.They spell it the way it sounds. Case in point-ebonics. We need to pay attention. We have to do a better job protecting the citizens in this country

Guest Guest
Fox (Faux) News just reported that Binghamton University was slow and lax about notifying thier students about the situtation and they said parents of BU students would not be happy about that. They failed to mention that BU is in another town approximately 5-6 miles away from the incident.

That is just not true I work at SUNY and was getting NY Alert texts and phone messages all day long. If any student didnt get notified its their own fault EVERYONE who is an employee or student of the campus was asked to register their phones or computers so they could be alerted in cases just like this As far as I am concerned the alerts were not necessary The incident took place off campus Not even close to the downtown campus No students wereever in any danger. NY Alerts cant alert every student or employee everytime something in NYS happens If its off campus its up to the city to issue alerts.

Did anyone else notice the 2 SUNY students(females) standing just outside in the street watching the whole thing unfold? Everyone in the area was asked to stay inside, businesses were locked down and these 2 were standing right in front of the news cameras. Perhaps if they had used a little common sense and stayed inside they would have gotten the alert that was sent out.

Archived