Section 4 Football

JoeTheDrunk

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Week 1 Summary:

Great for Section 4 with Vestal thumping ESM! Looks like M-E will be good again this year! Will Horseheads or Ithaca ever win? Seton over Delhi is a surprise? Binghamton wins in a shoot out vs. Norwich? Looks like SV is rising now that they have a coaching staff. Forks crushed JC which is no surprise. Good luck to Owego today vs. Hoosick Falls!

Week 2 Picks:

These are my LOCK picks!!

UE over Binghamton (coaching will make difference, lol)

Corning over Windsor

Norwich over Owego (close game though)

M-E over SV (first home game under lights for M-E)

Elmira over Ithaca (easiest pick)

Forks over Tioga

CV over JV, I mean JC (JV will get first win next week vs Oneonta, I think)

SV played Maine-Endwell closer than many people thought they would. Those poor Sabres have been a door mat for so long. It would be nice for the kids and fans out there to see them turn into a winner.

Norwich just doesn't have enough horses. I wonder if the fans regret letting the booster daddy of a player who has graduated engineer a coaching change.

Elmira will run all over a once proud- back in my youth- Little Red program.

Forks will blow Tioga out.

JC will beat CV. Warriors seldom come out to plaaayyyyy.

Binghamton will defeat the Tigers.

Week 2 Picks:

These are my LOCK picks!!

UE over Binghamton (coaching will make difference, lol)

Corning over Windsor

Norwich over Owego (close game though)

M-E over SV (first home game under lights for M-E)

Elmira over Ithaca (easiest pick)

Forks over Tioga

CV over JV, I mean JC (JV will get first win next week vs Oneonta, I think)

Actually, coaching LOST the game for UE.

...After short gains on first and second down, Pert's halfback pass fluttered into the arms of JC defensive back Kenneth Johns at the 50 for an interception. Three plays later, Nadz rumbled up the middle for a 37-yard touchdown run with 3:14 remaining to give JC a 27-19 lead with 3:14 left...

Better lucky than good?

All in all two good weeks of high school football. SV upsets Elmira to dig up a bit out of a years long hole. Elmira mad, hammers next opponent. Vestal two and 0, UE 0 and two, long time since that happened. Owego not to bad this year, ME CF looking like they may meet undefeated week eight, JC splits (kind of the Jets of the area, always ok, never great, never terrible), HH still struggling. Bing two and 0, neither win is really a statement. Basically, all in all, keeps you hungry for week three! It is not Texas by one must admit there is sine fun football to watch around here. JMHO

, UE 0 and two, long time since that happened.

Depending on your definition of "long time", but yeah, in a way.

Checking the archives I find four times this century that U-E started at least 0-2 on the field, almost all vs very tough out-of-section competition. They certainly tested themselves.

2001 U-E started out 0-2

19-28 to Liverpool

0-35 to Webster

2002 U-E started out 0-2

10-49 to Baldwinsville

6-35 to Webster Schroeder

Baldwinsville later had to forfeit all their season's wins due to ineligible player, so U-E reverted to a win.

2003 U-E started out 0-3

21-27 to Tottenville in OT

0-34 to St Francis

8-41 to Poly Prep

2005 U-E started out 0-2

13-21 to Rome Free Academy

0-30 to Fayetteville-Manlius

I meant that vestal two and o, and ue o and two. It's been a while for that dichotomy, but yes they do often travel for some big games early historically

Well, it's 2001 then.

Vestal won their first 10 games that year before losing to Fayetteville-Manlius in the playoffs.

http://www.quackquack.net/section4/football/2001/

...After short gains on first and second down, Pert's halfback pass fluttered into the arms of JC defensive back Kenneth Johns at the 50 for an interception. Three plays later, Nadz rumbled up the middle for a 37-yard touchdown run with 3:14 remaining to give JC a 27-19 lead with 3:14 left...

Better lucky than good?

......Oneonta's hopes of victory at JC were dealt a blow when running back Skylar Thompson was lost to a knee injury just a few plays into the second half.

Thompson had taken a helmet to the knee on a pass play and was unable to return. The senior had rushed for 105 yards in the first half and also had a 60-yard touchdown reception.

Oneonta coach John Mushtare said after the game there didn't appear to be any structural damage.

"With a guy like him, it makes play-calling easy," Mushtare said. "But we have four talented backs, including the quarterback, who can make things happen. but hopefully Skylar's OK and he'll be back next week....."

JC is lucky to have beaten Oneonta. Don't believe the hype.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived