Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola

27 Time World Champions

I just went by the press release info. Also you are right about the cell phone. It is the window dressing I find frustrating.

"Klain will report directly to Monaco and National Security Advisor Susan Rice, according to a White House official."

I guess I am not a political animal. I have no clue as to political etiquette and protocol. Those are the first considerations in any governmental matter, common sense be damned.

With a crisis that is changing hourly, the CDC, NHS, and DHS should report new findings and evaluations to Klain as they happen (if extremely important), and also on a schedule, then Klain reports directly to the president. Klain would be doing what he is best qualified to do, getting information out of the fiefdoms, organizing and evaluating it, then reporting to the president. The president then would have enough background to discuss matters in cabinet meetings or in conference with both Monaco and Rice. There would be tight control, and much less bureaucracy. Also when speaking to the public, Klain will be ONE, non conflicting information source. Meanwhile the administration can start formulating how to deal with future events, and let Klain deal with the present.

The difference is that information handled in this manner is funneled and concentrated upward to the lead executive (Klain) reporting to the president, like a pyramid. The departments being the foundation.

The present structure is an inverted pyramid with the capstone (Klain) on the bottom. Information is diffused as it ascends the layers and reported to the president from two sources.

Who knows, maybe the president did not want people to think he was devaluing Lisa Monaco and Susan Rice. You are right about the cell phone end run, it will work that way. It is the operational equivalent of what I just blabbered about. No mater who is running the show in DC, these political games have always superseded commonsense since the Articles of Confederation.

However they go about it I pray they do not eff it up any more than it is. Just do it and make it work.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I am not a political animal. I have no clue as to political etiquette and protocol. Those are the first considerations in any governmental matter, common sense be damned.

However they go about it I pray they do not eff it up any more than it is. Just do it and make it work.

Nice post.

You got about 80% of it right there.

With a crisis that is changing hourly…

It’s not really a crisis. 4 Americans tested positive for it in about 2 week’s time. How long has it been since a confirmed case….4 days? That could very well indicate it’s been contained. The last 3 people are currently in isolation and being treated.

I would imagine that Klain would have direct phone access to Obama on a conference call or desk phone that Monaco and Rice would be privy to….like you said, at least for the next week, given no more cases arise.

The good news is it’s not really effed up anymore.

Mistakes were made in the beginning by people who were totally unprepared to see it show up on their doorstep, a few administrators made the wrong call, and the proper supervision wasn’t in place to make sure both nurses followed procedure.

So far, we have no indication that anyone on Vinson’s plane or in the bridal store, or anywhere in Cleveland was infected. That means the virus is acting just as it was reported to act.

All the Chicken Littles predicting that the Feds and CDC are lying through their seedy little noses are totally invalidated.

This is, however, likely just the tip of the iceberg. It may well get worse in Africa for the next few years, as viruses tend to. That means everything we learned this time will have to be in place next time, plus more we haven’t yet figured out.

All the Chicken Littles predicting that the Feds and CDC are lying through their seedy little noses are totally invalidated.

"Man Infected With Ebola Misinformation Through Casual Contact With Cable News"

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-infected-ebola-misinformation-casual-contact-cable-news

"Once Klugian’s condition was apparent, the Ohio man was rushed to a public library and given a seventh-grade biology textbook, at which point he 'started to stabilize,' the spokesman said."

"Man Infected With Ebola Misinformation Through Casual Contact With Cable News"

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/man-infected-ebola-misinformation-casual-contact-cable-news

"Once Klugian’s condition was apparent, the Ohio man was rushed to a public library and given a seventh-grade biology textbook, at which point he 'started to stabilize,' the spokesman said."

This is a post of mine from another thread, but I think it also applies here. Press releases from the CDC containing hyperbole intended to calm the public backfired when the disease started with patient 0 and began to spread. When reality begins to overcome press release information, panic and lack of public trust ensues.

We were in danger until panic forced only qualified people, knowledgeable in protocol, into appropriate bio gear to manage patients and specimens (Protocol supervisor in shirt sleeves and slacks excepted). Add to that insane screening.

Ok, you were in the African hot zone two days ago and flew out, now you are in the ER with flu symptoms and a fever? He are some antibiotics, go home........You have been tending a patient and only have a low grade fever? No problem, get on the airplane!

These and more screw ups due to strictly following different protocols that did not make sense after patient 0 was confirmed. The public was reassured there were adequate safeguards and the disease blew through them. There was a few weeks time after the first American patient arrived, before patient 0, to get a procedure out on the web to hospitals

That is what torched the flames of understandable panic. Hollow reassurances. If the disease was stopped at patient 0, and it could have been, Ebola (edit) and panic would have never spread this far.

I don't think Americans are in a state of panic. Concern is a better word. Opinionated is a better word. Is there anyone who thinks there should be acceptable levels of Ebola in our country? ZERO TOLERANCE IS THE GOAL. That hospital had just been inserviced on proper protocol THE WEEK BEFORE THEIR PATIENT SHOWED UP. That's like having a fire drill then not following RACE. (rescue alarm confine evacuate) It's not panic, it's exasperation.

Thank God for the ebola coverage. Without it we would be inundated with minor nonsense like a US Marine being held in a Mexican jail, IRS fascism, voter fraud, Benghazi, Thousands of weapons un-accounted for , the UN involving itself in Detroit problems, a Democrat politician calling for voting age to return to 21, etc. etc. .......

It is what they do since CNN started the 24/7 news cycle. It was even worse when the Malaysian airliner disappeared, none network held on for months. I have seen very little coverage on the Ukraine. A little over a week ago 17,00 Russian troops completed their "shooting exercises" and returned to their "permanent bases"

News has become entertainment to keep viewers. At one time a viewer could get three blocks of straight news per hour, two or three sports segments and three commercial blocks between segments. When the other networks came on, everyone chose up sides to target a specific demographic. They each preach to their own choir, a known demographic for sale to advertising clients.

Thank God for the ebola coverage. Without it we would be inundated with minor nonsense like a US Marine being held in a Mexican jail, IRS fascism, voter fraud, Benghazi, Thousands of weapons un-accounted for , the UN involving itself in Detroit problems, a Democrat politician calling for voting age to return to 21, etc. etc. .......

All you need to do is watch Fox News. They're still harping on about Bengazhi and a number of other made up conspiracies. You should feel right at home.

All you need to do is watch Fox News. They're still harping on about Bengazhi and a number of other made up conspiracies. You should feel right at home.

Did it, like I stated before, they preach to their choir for stable demographic ratings, making it easier to sell air time. The trouble is, they are now locked into a point of view (editorial policy). You do not have to like Fox or any other network for that matter. I give each one a few minutes on hard news (hard to find at times) and if time allows commentary. Same for the web, Huffington and Drudge, Washington Times and Washington Post, etc. When stories are wildly out of phase given their points of view, check their sources.

It really does not take much time (20 min.) once one establishes a set procedure, and prefer doing this to watching what is mostly laughable entertainment TV.

A real eyeopener is the BBC documentary, Century of the Self. It is long and if not interested in this stuff boring. In most college communications programs, it is required viewing along with a 2-4 page written assignment. I would love to start a thread on it, but realize I am probably the only news-PR junkie on the board. Understandably this draws some fire when posting many sources to back my opinions, and my penchant for verbosity.

Yeah. Know watcha mean. Why Fox even still harps on the civil rights leader threatening viloence in Ferguson if the Police Officer is rightly not charged.

Speaking of which, here's a guy who is clearly not in charge of all his mental faculties:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/politics/new-hampshire-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Concord, New Hampshire (CNN) -- Republican Scott Brown used the latest potential Ebola case -- this time, a doctor in New York -- to blast President Barack Obama's handling of the virus outbreak in a debate against New Hampshire Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen Thursday night.

Yeah. Know watcha mean. Why Fox even still harps on the civil rights leader threatening viloence in Ferguson if the Police Officer is rightly not charged.

Fox News, king of fear mongering, and lots more.

Back on topic though. How many people have contracted Ebola in the US? Two? Donald Trump has declared bankruptcies more times than that. Kim Kardashian's been married as many times. The coverage from the 24-7 news stations have been pure fear mongering.They call it an epidemic, but more people die in the US every day from guns than Ebola, more people die from falling, than Ebola. The coverage has been ridiculous.

Fox News, king of fear mongering, and lots more.

Back on topic though. How many people have contracted Ebola in the US? Two? Donald Trump has declared bankruptcies more times than that. Kim Kardashian's been married as many times. The coverage from the 24-7 news stations have been pure fear mongering.They call it an epidemic, but more people die in the US every day from guns than Ebola, more people die from falling, than Ebola. The coverage has been ridiculous.

Yep, two, and both were providing care for someone who had it without taking the proper precautions.

Both are surviving. Of the seven people treated for it in the United States, only one died and he was already violently ill before he got care. The death rate is clearly dramatically lower if you actually get medical care and get it in a timely manner.

It's basically a non-story. It would almost be a non-story in Africa if they had enough toilets to go around so that they didn't have to sit in each others' Ebola waste. These are sanitation issues that we started addressing over a century ago, when we invented dixie cups.

It was a big story when the president hugged a survivor today, NBC radio lead with it. Very reassuring now that the person is guaranteed clean. If he wants to shut everyone up instantly, hug a doctor or nurse that just came back from treating the sick and dying in Africa. That would instantly lend credibility to what the public has been told.

Typhoid is not Ebola but here is an extreme example of one asymptomatic carrier broadcasting a disease:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_Mary

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), better known as Typhoid Mary, was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogen associated with typhoid fever. She was presumed to have infected 53 people, three of whom died, over the course of her career as a cook.[1] She was twice forcibly isolated by public health authorities and died after a total of nearly three decades in isolation. .....................

From 1900 to 1907 Mallon worked as a cook in the New York City area for seven different families.[4] In 1900, she worked in Mamaroneck, New York, where, within two weeks of her employment, residents developed typhoid fever. In 1901 she moved to Manhattan, where members of the family for whom she worked developed fevers and diarrhea, and the laundress died. Mallon then went to work for a lawyer; she left after seven of the eight people in that household became ill.[5]

In 1906, she took a position in Oyster Bay, Long Island, and within two weeks ten of eleven family members were hospitalized with typhoid. She changed jobs again, and similar occurrences happened in three more households.[5] She worked as a cook for the family of a wealthy New York banker, Charles Henry Warren. When the Warrens rented a house in Oyster Bay for the summer of 1906, Mallon went along too. From August 27 to September 3, six of the eleven people in the family came down with typhoid fever. The disease at that time was "unusual" in Oyster Bay, according to three medical doctors who practiced there.[citation needed] Mallon was subsequently hired by other families, and outbreaks followed her.[5].............................

First quarantine:

The New York City Health Department finally sent Dr. Sara Josephine Baker to talk to Mallon. Baker stated "by that time she was convinced that the law was only persecuting her when she had done nothing wrong." A few days later, Baker arrived at Mallon's workplace with several police officers, who took her into custody.[citation needed]

Mary attracted so much media attention that in a 1908 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association she was called "typhoid Mary". Later, in a textbook that defined typhoid fever, she was called "Typhoid Mary" with a capital "T".[8]

Mallon admitted poor hygiene, saying she did not understand the purpose of hand-washing because she did not pose a risk. In prison, she was forced to give stool and urine samples. Doctors found a major infection of typhoid bacteria in her gallbladder. Authorities suggested removing her gallbladder, but she refused as she did not believe she carried the disease. She was also unwilling to cease working as a cook ....................................................................

Release, name-change and second quarantine (1915–1938)

Upon her release, Mallon was given a job as a laundress, which paid less than cooking. She soon changed her name to "Mary Brown", and returned to her old occupation. For the next five years, she worked in a number of kitchens; wherever she worked, there were outbreaks of typhoid. However, she changed jobs frequently, and Soper was unable to find her.[5]

In 1915, Mallon started another major outbreak, this time at Sloane Hospital for Women in New York City. Twenty-five people were infected and two died. She again left, but the police were able to find and arrest her when she brought food to a friend on Long Island.[5][10]

After arresting her, public health authorities returned her to quarantine on North Brother Island on March 27, 1915. She was still unwilling to have her gallbladder removed.[10] Mallon remained confined for the remainder of her life. She became a minor celebrity, and was occasionally interviewed by the media. They were told not to accept even water from her.[5] Later, she was allowed to work as a technician in the island's laboratory, washing bottles. ............

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-24/n-y-n-j-order-quarantines-for-travelers-with-ebola-contact.html Illinois Joins NY, NJ With Ebola Risk-Flyer Quarantines

By Kelly Gilblom, Freeman Klopott and Brian Chappatta Oct 25, 2014 12:48 PM ET

Illinois has joined New York and New Jersey in deciding to quarantine anyone arriving at its airports who has had direct contact with Ebola patients, even as doctors continue to question the need.

The growing list of states pushing beyond the quarantine guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may heighten debate between elected officials who put stricter policies in place and health-care professionals who say they could deter caregivers from volunteering to fight the disease at its West Africa source.

Governor Andrew Cuomo and his counterpart in New Jersey, Chris Christie, announced the mandatory quarantines yesterday, shortly after a top U.S. health official said the federal government also was considering tighter measures nationwide. Illinois announced its move yesterday.

“This protective measure is too important to be voluntary,” Illinois Governor Pat Quinn said in a statement. “While we have no confirmed cases of the Ebola virus in Illinois, we will continue to take every safeguard necessary to protect first responders, health-care workers and the people of Illinois.”

The new policy in New Jersey and New York goes beyond guidelines from the CDC. Under the changes, quarantines for high-risk travelers from any of three West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak would last 21 days. Others who travel from the region and haven’t had direct patient contact will be actively monitored and quarantined only if necessary.

iTquT4j47k6c.jpg Photographer: Melissa Maraj/U.S. Customs and Border Protection via AP Images

A U.S. Coast Guard Health Technician, left, and a CBP supervisor, right, conduct... Read More

‘Actve Discussion’

Why can't they just worry about the American public? While we are distracted Putin (who could care less about Ebola) is putting the hammer lock on Europe and building an Empire. It seems almost like an intentional effort to bait and saturate US media with absurdity. Did any American media run a headline about Russian and German fighter (NATO) aircraft had a stare down over the Baltic Sea? I ran across the story by accident. ABC had it on 10-21, but do not recall hearing, reading, or seeing anything about it until today.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/28/state-department-plans-to-bring-foreign-ebola-pati/

The State Department has quietly made plans to bring Ebola-infected doctors and medical aides to the U.S. for treatment, according to an internal department document that argued the only way to get other countries to send medical teams to West Africa is to promise that the U.S. will be the world’s medical backstop.

Some countries “are implicitly or explicitly waiting for medevac assurances” before they will agree to send their own medical teams to join U.S. and U.N. aid workers on the ground, the State Department argues in the undated four-page memo, which was reviewed by The Washington Times.........

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/nato-intercepts-russian-jets-baltic-sea-26344984

http://abcnews.go.com/International/exclusive-us-embassy-moscow-faces-cold-war-era/story?id=26425902

The CDC updated their site about sneezes on October 2nd.

From their site...

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

The nurse from Maine who sued to get out of quarantine, is breaking her agreement.

http://www.today.com/health/nurse-kaci-hickox-says-she-wont-obey-maines-ebola-quarantine-1D80251330

The doctor with Ebola LIED about where he had been. He was caught by his subway card.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/ebola-doctor-lied-about-his-nyc-travels-police/

What the heck is going on with these Medical Professionals???? They should be thrown in jail.

I say if they don't want to follow the guidelines being put in place to try and stop the spread.....send them BACK to where they came from and don't let them re-enter the US.

I get they are trying to go and help these people, and yes that is great....but they are also putting other people here in the US at risk when they just come back and join the general population

How about a national policy? Is anyone running for federal office addressing a national policy for infectious disease? This is not a states rights issue, an infected person is free to cross state lines. This is one issue the does require federal regulation. We regulate and protect snail darters, insects, rare butterflies, water fowl that cross international and state borders etc. , why can't our representatives protect people? Perhaps things will move AFTER the fifth of November.