snowman60

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ginger said:

It's not a matter of taking the classes seriously. It's a logistics matter. I think I mentioned a coworker and his wife have 4 children, toddler thru age 14...different computer programs, one laptop. The 14 yr old has several classes with different programing. They will be spending all day on lessons and he works 2 jobs.

Good point Ginger, but I think it's both.We have friends who can't get their kids to buckle down and do their work despite all of the needed resources.

13 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

Good point Ginger, but I think it's both.We have friends who can't get their kids to buckle down and do their work despite all of the needed resources.

They need to get an outsider as a tutor...or trade pIaces with another parent of a child in the same grade. I told my coworker and his wife I can help if they need me, even if it's just to sit with the little one and keep him occupied. Right now their school district is planning on doing half in school and half on line.

I just perused the internet and there are more than a few websites that explain coaching your child to become an independent learner. One rule I always used with my daughter was read twice write once...that's how to place knowledge in your long term memory. So perhaps mom is going to read along with child. Child will be reading again when looking up answers and then typing or writing them...I think writing or workbooks is best.

post edit...reading out loud is almost like reading twice to your brain

5 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Like moths to the flame, ME board meeting tonight. They are expected to vote to go full virtual. Politics first in NY.

Funny how countries like Norway are having in person classes. Where there is a will there is a way. Not here. Politics and lazy union first.

True.

8 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Like moths to the flame, ME board meeting tonight. They are expected to vote to go full virtual. Politics first in NY.

Funny how countries like Norway are having in person classes. Where there is a will there is a way. Not here. Politics and lazy union first.

Hybrid passes 4-3!

Binghamton has put the local districts in a pickle.  If someone, not in Bingo, catches it and dies, the lawsuits will be flying with the contention that Bingo went all online, why didn't you?

I know this for a fact.  30 years ago, i used to listen to my scanner and I could hear the local superintendents talking about whether they should close the schools based on the snow and ice conditions.  Once one superintendent said he/she was closing, they all said that they were closing.  This was done just to CYA.  But that was fine with me.

I was always the first person to know.  i would just roll over and go back to bed when they closed.

13 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Binghamton has put the local districts in a pickle.  If someone, not in Bingo, catches it and dies, the lawsuits will be flying with the contention that Bingo went all online, why didn't you?

I know this for a fact.  30 years ago, i used to listen to my scanner and I could hear the local superintendents talking about whether they should close the schools based on the snow and ice conditions.  Once one superintendent said he/she was closing, they all said that they were closing.  This was done just to CYA.  But that was fine with me.

I was always the first person to know.  i would just roll over and go back to bed when they closed.

Pete, UE will also not be going full remote. Listening to the “pro-remote” ME Board discussion, the focus was on teacher workload (too much to teach in person and do an online lesson) and teacher’s needing “more training”. At public discussion, the closer was the ME teachers union rep who did point out the possibility of being exposed. 

The numbers don’t support the lame arguments. Children simply are not falling ill like much older people. Asymptotic people (children?) do not pass the virus. Cuomo has decided to open the schools. It’s time to get back to work. Let the professionals (Gallagher and Van Fossen, at ME) make a plan and follow it. If there’s an outbreak, schools (and district) will be closed. There is flexibility in the hybrid plan.

As for Bingo, we found out the teachers have a little more stroke than their ME or UE counterparts.

9 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Pete, UE will also not be going full remote. Listening to the “pro-remote” ME Board discussion, the focus was on teacher workload (too much to teach in person and do an online lesson) and teacher’s needing “more training”. At public discussion, the closer was the ME teachers union rep who did point out the possibility of being exposed. 

The numbers don’t support the lame arguments. Children simply are not falling ill like much older people. Asymptotic people (children?) do not pass the virus. Cuomo has decided to open the schools. It’s time to get back to work. Let the professionals (Gallagher and Van Fossen, at ME) make a plan and follow it. If there’s an outbreak, schools (and district) will be closed. There is flexibility in the hybrid plan.

As for Bingo, we found out the teachers have a little more stroke than their ME or UE counterparts.

This CDC webpage says:

It is unclear whether children are as susceptible to infection by SARS-CoV-2 compared with adults and whether they can transmit the virus as effectively as adults.

Due to community mitigation measures and school closures, transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to and among children may have been reduced in the United States during the pandemic in the spring and early summer of 2020.

Comparing trends in pediatric infections before and after the return to in-person school and other activities may provide additional understanding about infections in children.

So sending students back to school is basically a science experiment.  People will die from this.  Lawyers are getting ready.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html

I guess we will see what happens.

35 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I give it 2-3 weeks after the start of school and they too will be full remote. All it will take is either a few staff members or students to test positive.

But the point is give it a try. Sweden and Norway are open. We are paralyzed by deep state sponsored propaganda.

At ME, the board member leading the charge for full remote is a rabid anti-trumper. On FB, she was advocating outing Trump supporters and if you are silent - you are a Trump supporter. Do the math on this attempt last night. Point is put the kids first (and our future) over petty politics and cowardice.

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

But the point is give it a try. Sweden and Norway are open. We are paralyzed by deep state sponsored propaganda.

At ME, the board member leading the charge for full remote is a rabid anti-trumper. On FB, she was advocating outing Trump supporters and if you are silent - you are a Trump supporter. Do the math on this attempt last night. Point is put the kids first (and our future) over petty politics and cowardice.

And you wonder why...nevermind. For your perusal, especially Snowman. Listening to the superintendent of Catholic school speak on WNBF earlier...it sounds like they are doing a lot of the same things as mandated by NYS parameters for opening religious and private/independent schools.

https://buckleycountryday.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/925/download/download_5105442.pdf

1 hour ago, ginger said:

And you wonder why...nevermind. For your perusal, especially Snowman. Listening to the superintendent of Catholic school speak on WNBF earlier...it sounds like they are doing a lot of the same things as mandated by NYS parameters for opening religious and private/independent schools.

https://buckleycountryday.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/925/download/download_5105442.pdf

Catholic schools of Broome must be like Norway. They are having full in person classes - with measures.

5 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Catholic schools of Broome must be like Norway. They are having full in person classes - with measures.

I know, I heard her this morning^^^ She also stated her census is up because some students did not want a remote learning experience to continue. What she described they were doing sounded a lot like my daughter's school that's why I posted. 

:) THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE COMBINED NORTH AND CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOLS! 

5 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Who is the never Trumper on the ME SB?  If it was on FB it is public knowledge.

I am an avid Trumper and I am for online learning.

Cuomo killed Grandma.  Now he is after the Grandkids.

I'm not seeing what the problem is...my daughter was telling me any child who cannot attend class in person will be required to participate via zoom..the teachers will not be providing taped classes.

59 minutes ago, ginger said:

I'm not seeing what the problem is...my daughter was telling me any child who cannot attend class in person will be required to participate via zoom..the teachers will not be providing taped classes.

It is difficult to teach to students in the classroom at the same time there are students zooming in.  It is impossible to do 2 things well at the same time.

31 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Per the Maine Endwell plan, one day per week (district cleaning day) will be designated for addressing any outstanding issue / topic in class. A catch all if you will. If the class is up to speed, than the class may play a game, etc.

Teacher's day off.

7 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

It is difficult to teach to students in the classroom at the same time there are students zooming in.  It is impossible to do 2 things well at the same time.

I would imagine the students would have to be "present" on line when the teacher enters the classroom to take attendance...otherwise the student would get marked as late or absent. No schools were doing any classes live on line last semester? It seems they should have some practice at it by now.

Teachers should be entering the classroom last to maintain social distancing protocol.

2 hours ago, ginger said:

I would imagine the students would have to be "present" on line when the teacher enters the classroom to take attendance...otherwise the student would get marked as late or absent. No schools were doing any classes live on line last semester? It seems they should have some practice at it by now.

Teachers should be entering the classroom last to maintain social distancing protocol.

The problem is that the online students are represented by a 3 inch square on the display whereas the classroom students are there in person.