No to schools opening!!!!

snowman60

10 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Per the Maine Endwell plan, one day per week (district cleaning day) will be designated for addressing any outstanding issue / topic in class. A catch all if you will. If the class is up to speed, than the class may play a game, etc.

If the class is up to speed then a new topic should be presented.  Not a game.  And again, if we are so concerned about the spread of COVID-19 in our schools then all these teachers and the children (whose parents don't want to send them to school) should be hibernating in their homes until there is a proven vaccine or COVID-19 "just goes away".  They should not be at Wegmans, Weis, WalMart, Target, Barnes and Noble, barbecues, the beach, etc.  The school could spend money on plastic barriers for the teacher's desk and the student's desk.  But no.  The money has to go to the inflated salaries, health insurance and pensions these teachers get.  While the rest of us go to work every day and many are exposed to strangers on a daily basis - it's only the schools we seem to have to worry about.  I see kids outside all the time with their friends not wearing masks and I know these teachers are going to malls and shopping with their own kids too.  Either delay the school year or go to school.  Stop it with the fear factor if you are going out in the world every day anyways.  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, rightorwrong said:

If the class is up to speed then a new topic should be presented.  Not a game.  And again, if we are so concerned about the spread of COVID-19 in our schools then all these teachers and the children (whose parents don't want to send them to school) should be hibernating in their homes until there is a proven vaccine or COVID-19 "just goes away".  They should not be at Wegmans, Weis, WalMart, Target, Barnes and Noble, barbecues, the beach, etc.  The school could spend money on plastic barriers for the teacher's desk and the student's desk.  But no.  The money has to go to the inflated salaries, health insurance and pensions these teachers get.  While the rest of us go to work every day and many are exposed to strangers on a daily basis - it's only the schools we seem to have to worry about.  I see kids outside all the time with their friends not wearing masks and I know these teachers are going to malls and shopping with their own kids too.  Either delay the school year or go to school.  Stop it with the fear factor if you are going out in the world every day anyways.  

Some of the panic is due to lawsuits.  Parents are quick to sue.  They are looking for ways to make a quick buck.  If a kid gets sick and it looks like the student was exposed in school, a law suit will follow.  It is easy to get $10 or $20 K out of a school district instead of the district paying lawyers who still may lose the case.

Shut down the schools.  Go online.

21 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Some of the panic is due to lawsuits.  Parents are quick to sue.  They are looking for ways to make a quick buck.  If a kid gets sick and it looks like the student was exposed in school, a law suit will follow.  It is easy to get $10 or $20 K out of a school district instead of the district paying lawyers who still may lose the case.

Shut down the schools.  Go online.

I'm not sure what the Federal and/or NY state regulations are for COVID-19 exposure in schools.  Can parents sue a school district if their child becomes ill or worse - dies if they were exposed to the virus.  Aside from the fact that parents would have to prove that their child contacted the virus during school hours there are probably other protections afforded to the school districts.  I'm not disagreeing with you that people are lawsuit happy and could possibly try to bring legal action against their child's school.  However, the point that I am still trying to make is that these teachers and their families and their students families expose themselves to COVID-19 by shopping or participating in some form of recreation (beaches, parks, etc).  The only way to not be exposed is to stay home and severely sanitize everything that comes into their homes.  And that is just not going to happen.  I say delay the school year until a vaccine is available or the rate of infection is so low that it is no longer an issue.  Remote learning is fine for some but I have heard too many parents complain about the lack of teacher involvement from March - June and how doing the school work at home is not the same as in person learning.  I think on that we can all agree.

2 hours ago, rightorwrong said:

I'm not sure what the Federal and/or NY state regulations are for COVID-19 exposure in schools.  CUOMO SAID THAT HE WILL SHIT DOWN A SCHOOL IF ONE PERSON TESTS POSITIVE.  SCHOOLS WILL OPEN, SHUT DOWN FOR A WEEK, THEN OPEN, THEN SHUT. 

Can parents sue a school district if their child becomes ill or worse - dies if they were exposed to the virus. SURE THERE IS A TERM FOR IT "BROKEN ARM LAWSUITS"

Aside from the fact that parents would have to prove that their child contacted the virus during school hours there are probably other protections afforded to the school districts.  THERE ARE NO PROTECTIONS THAT I AM AWARE OF.

I'm not disagreeing with you that people are lawsuit happy and could possibly try to bring legal action against their child's school.  DI$TRICT$ HAVE DEEP POCKET$

However, the point that I am still trying to make is that these teachers and their families and their students families expose themselves to COVID-19 by shopping or participating in some form of recreation (beaches, parks, etc).  The only way to not be exposed is to stay home and severely sanitize everything that comes into their homes.  And that is just not going to happen.  AGREE

I say delay the school year until a vaccine is available or the rate of infection is so low that it is no longer an issue.  LEARN AT HOME

Remote learning is fine for some but I have heard too many parents complain about the lack of teacher involvement from March - June and how doing the school work at home is not the same as in person learning.  THERE ARE MANY CASES OF TEACHERS NOT TEACHING OR TELLING STUDENTS TO "LOOK IT UP ON KHAN ACADEMY"  MANY TEACHERS SHOULD BE FIRED FOR THE LITTLE THAT THEY DID.  ONLINE TODAY ON PRESSCONNECTS THERE IS A WOMAN IN ITHACA, KAREN LAFORCE, WHO STATED THAT HER CHILD'S TEACHERS MET WITH HER SON FOR 1 HOUR A WEEK.

I think on that we can all agree.  THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO START ALL ONLINE UNTIL THINGS GET SORTED OUT.  BINGHAMTON DID IT RIGHT.

29 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

'm not sure what the Federal and/or NY state regulations are for COVID-19 exposure in schools.  CUOMO SAID THAT HE WILL SHIT DOWN A SCHOOL IF ONE PERSON TESTS POSITIVE.  SCHOOLS WILL OPEN, SHUT DOWN FOR A WEEK, THEN OPEN, THEN SHUT. 

Can parents sue a school district if their child becomes ill or worse - dies if they were exposed to the virus. SURE THERE IS A TERM FOR IT "BROKEN ARM LAWSUITS"

Aside from the fact that parents would have to prove that their child contacted the virus during school hours there are probably other protections afforded to the school districts.  THERE ARE NO PROTECTIONS THAT I AM AWARE OF.

I'm not disagreeing with you that people are lawsuit happy and could possibly try to bring legal action against their child's school.  DI$TRICT$ HAVE DEEP POCKET$

However, the point that I am still trying to make is that these teachers and their families and their students families expose themselves to COVID-19 by shopping or participating in some form of recreation (beaches, parks, etc).  The only way to not be exposed is to stay home and severely sanitize everything that comes into their homes.  And that is just not going to happen.  AGREE

I say delay the school year until a vaccine is available or the rate of infection is so low that it is no longer an issue.  LEARN AT HOME

Remote learning is fine for some but I have heard too many parents complain about the lack of teacher involvement from March - June and how doing the school work at home is not the same as in person learning.  THERE ARE MANY CASES OF TEACHERS NOT TEACHING OR TELLING STUDENTS TO "LOOK IT UP ON KHAN ACADEMY"  MANY TEACHERS SHOULD BE FIRED FOR THE LITTLE THAT THEY DID.  ONLINE TODAY ON PRESSCONNECTS THERE IS A WOMAN IN ITHACA, KAREN LAFORCE, WHO STATED THAT HER CHILD'S TEACHERS MET WITH HER SON FOR 1 HOUR A WEEK.

I think on that we can all agree.  THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO START ALL ONLINE UNTIL THINGS GET SORTED OUT.  BINGHAMTON DID IT RIGHT.

29 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Sorry Pete.  I don't agree with the remote learning.  The school year should be delayed then.  

From what I'm hearing from parents throughout the state is their children want to see their friends even if they have to social distance. Ultimately, the students will determine the course of action...as usual :) lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 9:29 PM, PeteMoss said:

Parents will NOT take their kids temperatures, guaranteed.  Parents WILL send their kids to school even when they are sick.  I know this to be a fact.

I just saw on today's (WED) news that schools in the south are closing already due to the number of infected kids and adults.

Funny, but they are playing high school football across many states with no spikes in Covid within the school population or general community.

The hysteria is out of hand. Get these kids back to school FULL TIME now!

35 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Funny, but they are playing high school football across many states with no spikes in Covid within the school population or general community.

If you want to send YOUR child to school, go right ahead.

One good thing about this is that parents are seeing first hand what their children are being taught in school.  They are seeing teachers who are indoctrinating their children and they are seeing lazy, do nothing teachers.  And they are seeing competent, involved teachers.

What the heck are gym, art and music teachers doing?  Notice that these are the less important studies in school.   These teachers should be laid off until this is all over. 

Being in the high risk pool, I've been working from home since mid-March.

Daily morning report on work plans for the day, same with accomplishments at the end of the day. MS Teams video conferences throughout the week, with required deliverables. Have to be immediately available during work hours. Frankly, we're getting a lot done that we couldn't seem to find time for prior to COVID.

Doing online MA courses with American Military University, with assigned readings (tracked), required discussion contributions, required papers, every day and week. 

I simply don't buy that remote learning is impossible. It requires structure, discipline, and the right tools.

If not, kids won't die from missing a year and coming back with a year more maturity (hopefully).

We even have weekly online video Happy Hours to just blow off steam ☺️

5 hours ago, M_Sable said:

If not, kids won't die from missing a year and coming back with a year more maturity (hopefully).

The kids have already lost half of a year.  Losing another year would be a disaster.

How would you teach a kindergarten student.  Half know nothing about a computer.

There are issues in schools with students not participating when they are in class.  It is only going to get worse when they are at home and nobody is watching.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, snowman60 said:

Did i say or did i not say   it was a bad idea  hey but then again i'm not a rocket scientist. But what i do have is common sense!!

The ONLY good thing is the K and new students received some face time with a teacher.

But that is the only good thing.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, Maverick said:

You know whats funny Maverick? How much of a moron you are with your blinders on. Look what is happening. A rise in + covid in Broome County. Your an idiot or a young child and can't grasp the pandemic.  we were doing fine till the long island kids came up here now that we opened the schools BAM we got hit so what i say to is STFU

35 minutes ago, snowman60 said:

You know whats funny Maverick? How much of a moron you are with your blinders on. Look what is happening. A rise in + covid in Broome County. Your an idiot or a young child and can't grasp the pandemic.  we were doing fine till the long island kids came up here now that we opened the schools BAM we got hit so what i say to is STFU

How many hospitalizations are there you tool? Minimal would be the correct answer.

And how much has the death toll gone up? It has NOT gone up a bit.

Glad you get internet access from under your bed you candy ass.

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

How many hospitalizations are there you tool? Minimal would be the correct answer.

And how much has the death toll gone up? It has NOT gone up a bit.

Glad you get internet access from under your bed you candy ass.

How many hospitalizations do we need for you to start being concerned? More than they can handle? 

In consultation with the Broome County Executive’s Office and Broome County Health Department, and due to having schools in the designated Yellow Zone and the continued high number of active cases, the Binghamton City School District will delay in-person instruction until Monday, October 26.

As a Yellow Zone, the state does not require schools to close, but it does require schools to participate in COVID-19 testing of employees and students who are present for in-person instruction. Governor Cuomo indicated in a press conference earlier this week that testing of randomly selected employees and students will occur. However, until specific guidance is issued by the State, the requirement remains unclear. Guidance is anticipated to be released by the end of the day on Friday, October 9th. We anticipate that the County will then have a week to determine a plan to be used and testing will need to be implemented no later than Friday, Oct. 16.

Fun times ahead...

• 4 weeks later...