35 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you read Press & Sun Bulletin or pressconnects

• Daily
    • Every few days
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Never
    • Only when a big story happens

My parents read it each and every day religiously. If the paper is late or doesn’t come...it throws off their entire day. They do all the games and puzzles too. The paper (as bad as it is) is a big part of their lives. I’m assuming they aren’t the only old folks who feel that way. 

The print paper used to be part of my daily routine. When I was working an early morning shift, I would go and get the paper and a cup of coffee every morning at 5:30am, at the Hess station.  The paper was about fives times the size back then, and only 50 cents. It was full of news, details on stories you wouldn’t get anywhere else, and was pretty current. Meaning, things that happened as recent as the night before would be in the paper.

Now I think the paper is up to $1.50? Maybe $2? Some days there’s no local stories, all National content. They don’t cover much, and what they do cover has very few details. Instead of truly covering stories, they do summaries “what you need to know”. And what they do cover is days old. If something happens at 8:00pm on a Monday, it won’t make the newspaper until Wednesday or Thursday. 

Today reading the paper every morning with a coffee has been replaced by scrolling through social media, reading BCVoice, and checking out Solak’s Twitter. 

Unfortunately other than obituaries there’s no reason for me to read the newspaper anymore.

18 minutes ago, Clyde said:

Today reading the paper every morning with a coffee has been replaced by scrolling through social media, reading BCVoice, and checking out Solak’s Twitter. 

Unfortunately other than obituaries there’s no reason for me to read the newspaper anymore.

Exactly what I do.  Off to Twitter.

Biased liberal rag.  Their decline started years before the national trend, when print papers across the country started mass layoffs and downsizing of their product and operations.  Look at how they covered fracking in NY/PA 10-15 years ago.  They lost trust and hundreds of subscribers over fracking coverage.

Online only. Haven't bought an actual copy in years. Mostly check the headlines on the main page and click on ones that might be of interest as long as they're not the ones marked "for subscribers only". If I'm on the pressconnects site for more than two minutes, that's unusual. I scroll through the obits to see if anyone I knew died. I stopped being a fan or subscriber years ago when they started skewing all their coverage to people with darker tans than me.

1 hour ago, Common Sense said:

Online only. Haven't bought an actual copy in years. Mostly check the headlines on the main page and click on ones that might be of interest as long as they're not the ones marked "for subscribers only". If I'm on the pressconnects site for more than two minutes, that's unusual. I scroll through the obits to see if anyone I knew died. I stopped being a fan or subscriber years ago when they started skewing all their coverage to people with darker tans than me.

STOP BEING SO WHITE!  :) I THINK THAT NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD.

It's such a worthless rag, that I am part of four separate households (all related, but separated by 15 miles) that share a single subscription. One of the households stopped getting it because the Press said "screw it - we're not doing home delivery in your area anymore." Nice.

I'm third on this family list, and I get around to them about three weeks after the publish date.

Doesn't take long to skim an issue. No substance to any of the state or national articles, and the bias screams out at you.

Half of the "local" news is centered around Rochester, where it is printed.

The best part for me is finding all of the mistakes and general nonsense in the Broome historical photos and Gerald Smith's columns.  He had a great one last month:

"In 1818, Maj. Martin Hawley arrived about 1829."
(See for yourself at:  https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/2021/01/09/spanning-time-history-town-binghamton/6581726002/ )

After the last household is finished with it, I get it back and during the winter use it for starter in my wood stove. In the summer I use it around plants and trees as a weed barrier, then put mulch over it. (After all, the content is basically compost anyway.)