Rec Park "renovations" ? More like wasted money

bballcoach

I attended the Rec Park meeting tonight at St. Thomas. Did I miss something? Before the city went and applied for all this state money, did the public voice approval for this project? I don't recall the residents of Binghamton ever giving the go-ahead for this?

On paper, the designs look very nice. But honestly the park doesn't need 10 new smaller playgrounds. The biggest issues at the park now are crime and vandalism. Installing these new two story play grounds will not turn out well. They will be vandalized and destroyed.

What we do need is more of a police presence. Especially around the basketball courts.

During spring, summer and fall I'm at the park every day. The park, when it's safe and clean, has a character that we like very much. What they're trying to turn it into is not a good fit and it's a giant waste of state money.

This is precisely the type of boondoggle nonsense that lack of responsible leadership results in. In a declining city ranked #1 in taxes in the state, management should focus primarily on preventative repair & maintenance. Priorities priorities priorities. The infrastructure is literally falling apart on a city wide basis, with many of the streets around that very same park resembling dirt roads and wagon rutted trails. Take a west side tour and you'll not only risk the integrity of your cars suspension, but will view so many homes for sale that one would think the once prime neighborhood was sitting on a toxic waste site.

But instead, the beaten down taxpayers sit back passively while our out of touch misguided "leaders" continue to put earrings on a sick pig and govern as though it's still 1965. !

Huh?

There's dangerous criminals out there.

Which actually brings an interesting quandry. Because of PESH you cannot compel a policeman/women or fireman/woman to place themselves in an unsafe situation. And here most of us thought that was the nature of the job.

• 5 years later...
On 3/25/2015 at 10:43 PM, bballcoach said:

I attended the Rec Park meeting tonight at St. Thomas. Did I miss something? Before the city went and applied for all this state money, did the public voice approval for this project? I don't recall the residents of Binghamton ever giving the go-ahead for this?

On paper, the designs look very nice. But honestly the park doesn't need 10 new smaller playgrounds. The biggest issues at the park now are crime and vandalism. Installing these new two story play grounds will not turn out well. They will be vandalized and destroyed.

What we do need is more of a police presence. Especially around the basketball courts.

During spring, summer and fall I'm at the park every day. The park, when it's safe and clean, has a character that we like very much. What they're trying to turn it into is not a good fit and it's a giant waste of state money.

Well, I hate to say I was right. Now it will cost hundreds of thousands to rebuild. What happened was absolutely terrible. But the playground never needed to be so elaborate. It’s Rec Park in Binghamton, not Disney World. 

I had revisited this thread earlier this morning as well. I know there is another thread somewhere detailing the cost.

33 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Dan Livingston is now advancing the cover story of angry whites burnt it down - because of the peaceful gathering earlier in the day. There you have it!

True? Angry Whites? As in White Supremacists?

And is that my former accidental Westside Councilman Dan Livingston? Who had his mother going door to door campaigning in his stead? Who refused to stand & recite that dastardly "liberty & freedom for all" Pledge of Allegiance at Council meetings AFTER having been afforded the liberty & freedom to run for office and get elected? The purported stealth ninja Fith Column PLOT member? The classy fellow who would sit alone for hours with his trusty laptop in The Shop restaurant after having ordered a free glass of water? The local globalist-activist drummed out of office after his radical status outing during his one term/15 minutes of fame? Oh....can't  be same guy...out of character!! 

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Dan Livingston is now advancing the cover story of angry whites burnt it down - because of the peaceful gathering earlier in the day. There you have it!

Just my two cents: nobody should be jumping to conclusions one way or another.

This is just an odd target for protesters. Much of the vandalism and looting elsewhere is being done by white anarchists from the left, but they usually go after obvious symbols of capitalism like Starbucks. There's little reason black rioters would care about creeping into the park at night. Kids run their mouths but have poor follow-through. In recent years, we've seen race hoaxes carried out by not only PLOT, but by a local firefighter who was willing to torch his own house with his family inside to blame BLM for something. The playground has also always been a heated topic because of who was involved and last night was a good night to settle a beef.

We should all be smart enough as a community to realize how many times we've had our chains jerked. This smells weird, so I'm going to hang back and see how it plays out.