New York has its first confirmed case of Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, ThelmaHarper said:

With the number of students from South Korea and China studying at BU and BCC I am sure we will see it here

Same with every SUNY college town in NY. In my apartment building of 12 apartments 10 are rented with young Asians and only 5 of the assigned parking places have cars. Plus few were here in the winter break. That tells me many went home to Asia during the break. So yeah, with the incubation period and the young mostly not getting ill from this, yeah, as a Sr citizen I am concerned. Hence my stocking up on supplies very early in February. 

5 hours ago, WolfMan said:

Same with every SUNY college town in NY. In my apartment building of 12 apartments 10 are rented with young Asians and only 5 of the assigned parking places have cars. Plus few were here in the winter break. That tells me many went home to Asia during the break. So yeah, with the incubation period and the young mostly not getting ill from this, yeah, as a Sr citizen I am concerned. Hence my stocking up on supplies very early in February. 

Did a search on "epidemics of 1900s" to remind myself of a couple things. Found a site Healhlife  or something like that and was surprised at how many diseases were not listed, and how many were totally eliminated in the US.

Being a "survivor" of German Measles(did not know there was a second outbreak), Swine flu, and many other virial infections common every year for Decades. I even have a framed Quarantine door sign from a flu epidemic during the 20s-30s.

Two things bother me about this newer Virus and another one.

When will FNC and cnn figure out there is news that should be reported other than anti-Americans having a Primary, new flu virus, and Trump done it.

Hey, would a muslim be stoned to death if he caught Swine Flu?

Is Kim having a temper tantrum over being ignored so long?

Is anyone surprised Chicago now has corona patients.

In my opinion, they are going to rue the day they told people to forget about wearing a mask. Two barriers (your and mine) are MORE SAFE than none. 

8 hours ago, mickey13905 said:

I’ll do nothing different. If I get it, ill get it. I’m worried more about my parents in their late 70s. I’m gonna take advantage of low travel rates in a few weeks.

Oh good take me with you! :) Did I mention I haven't had a vacation in 4 years? I'm kidding, I hope you go somewhere warm and sunny. I know one couple, coworkers, are on a cruise now and another couple is going on a cruise next week. Personally, a cruise sounds gross to me unless it's something small and short. My daughter took a cruise up the coast from NYC to Nova Scotia. That sounded nice. It just seems like everytime I turn around something negative is in the news.

GAAAAARO! I HEARD YOU ON THE RADIO! :) Good point about the students driving down to the city and coming back. We think Wegmans is busy, her whole foods is packed, all of the time. She should be wearing a mask. I can't speak for every nursing home but a lot of them have already given Tamiflu to their residents. It isn't because of corona virus. They give it pretty much every year if a unit becomes compromised.  

Apparently the SUNY Broome faculty union leadership is sending out conspiracy theory emails acting like this is all a hoax by the administration to trick Luddite professors into learning the skills to teach online. They seemingly don't realize the campus will inevitably be forced to close to in-person classes if there are a few area cases.

1 hour ago, Bingoloid said:

Apparently the SUNY Broome faculty union leadership is sending out conspiracy theory emails acting like this is all a hoax by the administration to trick Luddite professors into learning the skills to teach online. They seemingly don't realize the campus will inevitably be forced to close to in-person classes if there are a few area cases.

The Faculty Ass. is acting incredibly indifferent.  It is about the students being able to successfully complete the semester, not about the union member's "right" to get paid more to teach online.  The students come first, but not according to the "professors". 

7 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

The Faculty Ass. is acting incredibly indifferent.  It is about the students being able to successfully complete the semester, not about the union member's "right" to get paid more to teach online.  The students come first, but not according to the "professors". 

If they need to get paid, they need to get paid, but I LOLed at the implication that it's some kind of Scooby Doo mystery why they're being asked to do this.

I'm guessing some the older faculty don't even want to get paid. They just don't want to learn anything. Last I knew, a few of them still won't use email or calendars.

Heard a friend get tongue tied while talking about the new Flu going 'round. Told her easiest way to say it is "beer bug". If Leftists can assign their own "meanings" to words I reserve the same right for myself. beer bug is easier to say and remember.

btw, that corona with lyme is hilarious. More importantly, I hope everyone stays healthy and safe.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:20 AM, mickey13905 said:

I’ll do nothing different. If I get it, ill get it. I’m worried more about my parents in their late 70s. I’m gonna take advantage of low travel rates in a few weeks.

The head of the Port authority has coronavirus now too. I'm worried about my coworkers who are on cruises. 

12 hours ago, ginger said:

The head of the Port authority has coronavirus now too. I'm worried about my coworkers who are on cruises. 

When told to stay in my home, I worry a bit. Same thing when told to get out on the streets. I get concerned on hearing either extreme.

Curious about something. There are quarantined folks at SUNY somewhere, but no students. Who is quarantined?

Now the anti-Americans in DC have about 8 billion to spend on beer bug, will a million or so at least go to Help? Or as usual will all that Taxpayer Money go to buy Democrat votes?

What a beautiful day. Nice cool spring rain, grass peeking through the snow, and the grocers had more than one check out register open. (I shop early)

8 minutes ago, JB 2 said:

When told to stay in my home, I worry a bit. Same thing when told to get out on the streets. I get concerned on hearing either extreme.

Curious about something. There are quarantined folks at SUNY somewhere, but no students. Who is quarantined?

Now the anti-Americans in DC have about 8 billion to spend on beer bug, will a million or so at least go to Help? Or as usual will all that Taxpayer Money go to buy Democrat votes?

What a beautiful day. Nice cool spring rain, grass peeking through the snow, and the grocers had more than one check out register open. (I shop early)

Good morning, I just got home but was listening to Bob Joseph since he came on. Ray, the tree guy just said "It's business as usual." 

Last night I heard President Trump say he was going to try and make it so workers won't miss a paycheck. THAT IS NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL. What president has ever tried to help people out that way?

Let's look at the 4 Lifecare employees who are hospitalized...unless they have AFLAC or some other supplemental policy they are going to wait an entire month for disability or workmans comp to cut them a check. I'd like to hear about those employees.

Let us also consider people who are planning to take their loved one out of a nursing home if a coronavirus happens. I'm not sure, will they qualify to take the State or Federal PAID FAMILY LEAVE?

21 minutes ago, JB 2 said:

My understanding is that a few hundred students in the Study Abroad program studying in the worst-impacted countries had to be repatriated and that several dorms were opened to house them during their quarantine.

5 minutes ago, ginger said:

Last night I heard President Trump say he was going to try and make it so workers won't miss a paycheck. THAT IS NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL. What president has ever tried to help people out that way?

Last week, Trump mentioned that they're going to try to do something for the uninsured. There's a disaster recovery fund that may be diverted to pay for their care directly. Unfortunately, emergency federal spending to bail out unemployment insurance systems, Medicare, airlines, private hospital systems and insurers, and the already-failing multiemployer pensions are very plausible results of all of this. Very few small businesses have insurance that will cover disruption by epidemic, and direct cash to offset their losses and lost wages during any area quarantines would not surprise me at all.

Bing, how many pay their bills via direct withdrawal? If no paycheck goes in the bank those people are going to be screwed with late and bounced check fees if they don't have a line of credit attached to their checking. Mortgages, car payments...car insurance!