Donald Trump running for President in 2016

This article is a long read, but offers a very detailed perspective on the rise of Trump and the mood of middle class America.

Here's an excerpt:

"The angriest and most pessimistic people in America are the people we used to call Middle Americans. Middle-class and middle-aged; not rich and not poor; people who are irked when asked to press 1 for English, and who wonder how white male became an accusation rather than a description.
You can measure their pessimism in polls that ask about their expectations for their lives—and for those of their children. On both counts, whites without a college degree express the bleakest view. You can see the effects of their despair in the new statistics describing horrifying rates of suicide and substance-abuse fatality among this same group, in middle age.
White Middle Americans express heavy mistrust of every institution in American society: not only government, but corporations, unions, even the political party they typically vote for—the Republican Party of Romney, Ryan, and McConnell, which they despise as a sad crew of weaklings and sellouts. They are pissed off. And when Donald Trump came along, they were the people who told the pollsters, “That’s my guy.”
They aren’t necessarily superconservative. They often don’t think in ideological terms at all. But they do strongly feel that life in this country used to be better for people like them—and they want that older country back."

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Christie endorses Trump. That would be an interesting ticket

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/02/26/chris-christie-endorses-donald-trump/

It may be interesting but it won't happen. You can't go with 2 people from the NorthEast.

A lot of people are still upset with Christie for hugging Obama.

I would suspect VP slot to Kasich or Carson.

Actually, right now, the only candidate I sort of like is Kasich. I don't agree with his stance on healthcare. Furthermore, can anyone explain...I thought everyone is supposed to have healthcare and a primary care physician. Why would we need planned parenthood or free clinics if everyone has a doctor? Also, after looking a little more at the tax penalties for not having healthcare, how is that constitutional? (equal protection)People who don't even work, pay nothing into the system have no penalties but if you are in between jobs and have no insurance for a couple of months you get penalized by the IRS? How is that fair?

^For example, you switch jobs and usually you don't get insurance until you are with the company for 3 months...you have to pay a penalty because you didn't have insurance the entire year. Now if this should happen in November and carry over to January or February you're getting penalized by the IRS for 2 (both) years prorated?

Actually, right now, the only candidate I sort of like is Kasich. I don't agree with his stance on healthcare. Furthermore, can anyone explain...I thought everyone is supposed to have healthcare and a primary care physician. Why would we need planned parenthood or free clinics if everyone has a doctor? Also, after looking a little more at the tax penalties for not having healthcare, how is that constitutional? (equal protection)People who don't even work, pay nothing into the system have no penalties but if you are in between jobs and have no insurance for a couple of months you get penalized by the IRS? How is that fair?

A lot of states did not expand medicaid etc, so there are people who fall into the gap where they don't make enough to qualify for a subsidy, but since the state did not expand social services they have no insurance. There are people who are young and their parents would completely cut them off if they found out that they had done the deed. There are people who's only accessible clinic is PP.

They don't pay a penalty at tax time because they're under the threshold, but they also do not get insurance. If you have no job for a couple months that would qualify as a life event and you can continue with your old insurance using cobra, or you can join the market place (seeing if you qualify for a subsidy for "obamacare", or free medicaid).

As far as the tax penalty being constitutional, Equal protection states that a person must be treated equal in the eyes of the law, under similiar conditions and circumstances. IE The government could not give you a tax penalty for being catholic and at a certain income level, and not do the same to a jewish person who fell under the same rules for the tax penalty. But they could give both of you the same tax penalty, and forgo the penalty on someone else who did not meet the Criteria of income (Income is NOT a protected class)

"The angriest and most pessimistic people in America are the people we used to call Middle Americans. Middle-class and middle-aged; not rich and not poor; people who are irked when asked to press 1 for English, and who wonder how white male became an accusation rather than a description.
White Middle Americans express heavy mistrust of every institution in American society: not only government, but corporations, unions, even the political party they typically vote for—
But they do strongly feel that life in this country used to be better for people like them—and they want that older country back."

That is a very interesting and accurate description.

I'm not sure who's angrier: Middle Class Americans or the Black Lives Matter movement. Either way, we're all pretty pissed.

I, too, want my country back. I've been working for 46 years with no definitive end in sight, and I'm getting worn out.

Obviously DT has hit a nerve and is saying things that resonate with what used to be called the Silent Majority.

We saw a snippet of this phenomena with Palin. She threw away the PC Speaking handbook and just talked to people like 20-year neighbors over the fence.

Sure there's a palpable magnetism in doing that. DT is very good at "gas station speak."

The problem is he has no filters. He seems like he's play acting at being the Common Man, when, in fact, he isn't really one and never has been. He's crafty enough to have figured out how to tell people what they want to hear, and lots of people make lots of money with that one skill alone.

It's sorta like the definition of diplomacy being "telling people to go to hell and having them thank you for it." Knowing how to push people's buttons in a certain way has served him well all his life.

Behind that, though, is a man who doesn't really know the issues, the facts, the history, the crux of the problems....and has no real solutions. He's simply winging it, borrowing the Maverick card that Palin got some real mileage out of in 2102, and has put the thing on turbo. He doesn't really know how far is too far. When he's challenged he loses it and turns into a 13 year old schoolgirl.

He can't handle criticism of any kind. All his life he's been surrounded by Yes men.

There's no There there. It's the Wizard of Oz all over again and we, as Americans, should know better than to fall for the same old 3 card Monty.

It may be interesting but it won't happen. You can't go with 2 people from the NorthEast.

A lot of people are still upset with Christie for hugging Obama.

I would suspect VP slot to Kasich or Carson.

I agree, Trump wouldn't pick Christie. I wouldn't have a problem with either Kasich (Ohio is an important swing state) or Carson (although he's a bit weird).

I like Nikki Haley. The South Carolina governor probably makes the most conventional sense. Haley would help address lots of his weaknesses. She's an Indian American woman who can help prove wrong the idea that Trump is simply the candidate of angry white men. She's in her early 40s while Trump will be 70 on election day.

The dark horse is Oprah. Trump/Oprah would win all 50 states

oprahtrump-copy.jpg?quality=100&strip=al

The Angry Orchard guy just winked at me. I feel better now. :) Just kidding.

Thanks for the info LA but I thinks it's a bunch of BS. Not killing the messenger just the message which is THE GOVERNMENT HAS NEW AND IMPROVED WAYS OF TAKING MONEY FROM PEOPLE. Back to square one. Which candidate stated he'll have Obamacare repealed? Carson? Trump?

"income is not a protected class" :) I woke up thinking about this. hmmmm corporations are people....hmmmm I'm going to ponder this as I go about my busy work today. Darn I wish I was a lawyer sometimes!

I'm still thinking but the bottom line is, I resent the government turning average citizens into criminals. This tax, SAFE ACT, I can think of a few others. They don't seem to grasp the concept that they work for us. I don't work for them and I don't work for free. Just the paperwork and or computer time to purchase an interim plan is WORK.

Hello Ginger. Are you familiar with the "Edit" button? I've noticed you're now on post #4 in a row. Not sure, but that may be a BCVoice record. Ha! Ha!

As a general rule in most forums, posting consecutively isn't allowed. Thus the "Edit" button. This way you can get all of the great things you have to say into one post and then all of your BCVoice friends can reply. THEN you can start another post responding to what they said. Just like those shampoo commercials from the 70's. You tell a friend, then they tell a friend and so on and so on and so on... Hehe! Haha! Hoho!

Hope that made sense. Thank you, Ginger and have an A1 Day

Some times I do that and sometimes I don't. If that is the preferred policy I'm certainly amenable to that. :) As you know I'm not a computer expert and I think I emailed someone once to ask if I was wasting bandwidth(?) by posting my thoughts in basically real time but I don't recall that I ever received a response. I'd never want to cost Garo money and surely it's not my intention to annoy people. (except in fun, wink :) )

:) Happy to oblige. When I first aquired a laptop I asked all of the pertinent ETIQUETTE questions. I either got no response or in some cases I was misinformed. ie-I was told it didn't matter if I used caps-thus," ginger" in lower case.

Thank you for your direction. :)

12717487_10153943430038518_6342477959900

Dennis Rodman

Retired basketball player has endorsed Trump · Yesterday at 10:57am ·

Yes Ted Cruz; Donald Trump did fire me on Celebrity Apprentice. But hes about to fire your ass too! #‎MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Dennis also has the leader of North Korea on speed dial. Can Ted say that?