Judge Daniel Seiden Sent 70-Year-Old Woman to Jail Over Minor Code Violation, Now He Wants Our Votes?

F. Lee Bailey

Don't forget Binghamton voters, it was Judge Daniel Seiden who in 2009 sent 70-year-old Sue Monico to jail because her family couldn't afford the siding repairs on their Clinton Street bar. Is jail time really a fair sentence for an elderly woman over a very minor code violation?

The City of Binghamton is full of code violations, dozens of violations on every street. But Judge Seiden, in his infinite wisdom, sent poor Sue Monico to jail. Judge Seiden was aware that her family was going through some personal problems and the business was declining, yet he still sent the 70-year-old to jail because she couldn't afford $20,000 for new siding.

Now Judge Daniel Seiden wants to be re-elected...He doesn't have my vote.

I have to say until I was reminded of the Sue Monico case I was voting for Seiden. This would be the same guy seen hugging Tony Fiala who was issued an appearance ticket. I know Seiden had nothing to do with the appearance ticket but it certainly shows that who you are really matters in the Criminal Justice System in Binghamton.

I can honestly say a vote for Mike Baker is a vote for a man that will treat everyone the same and as a human being. Probably one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting he will be fair to all and not base it on a last name.

Great job F. Lee Bailey for reminding everybody about this. Of course I remember this incident, but filed it in the back of my brain and needed this wake up call. Attention spans just keep getting shorter and shorter these days...

Mike Baker needs to go to town with this one. Just one slickly produced commercial wins him the election. Think George HW Bush and his attack ad. This and Dukakis in that tank pretty much won him the 1988 Presidential election

Don't forget Binghamton voters, it was Judge Daniel Seiden who in 2009 sent 70-year-old Sue Monico to jail because her family couldn't afford the siding repairs on their Clinton Street bar. Is jail time really a fair sentence for an elderly woman over a very minor code violation?

The City of Binghamton is full of code violations, dozens of violations on every street. But Judge Seiden, in his infinite wisdom, sent poor Sue Monico to jail. Judge Seiden was aware that her family was going through some personal problems and the business was declining, yet he still sent the 70-year-old to jail because she couldn't afford $20,000 for new siding.

Now Judge Daniel Seiden wants to be re-elected...He doesn't have my vote.

I don't remember this case at all. After reading these comments, I don't think I have enough of the facts of the case, to be able to judge the reasonableness, or UNreasonableness of the judges actions. Is the fact that the lady was 70 years old really pertinent? I'm sure there are many 70 year olds who are capable of defying the law for no good reason except that they want to. What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with their minds, and they are perfectly capable of understanding what they are supposed to do. (like get the outside of their building brought up to standards, for instance).

If she couldn't afford to repair the place, couldn't she then just lock the door and walk away from the place? That is abandon it? It appears that many, many people do that all the time here in Binghamton. I think there are many buildings here in Binghamton that have not been used in years, and appear to be abandoned. I just fail to see what her age should have to do with anything.

Please fill me in on any pertinent facts of the case that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

In order to see the complaint against Mrs. Monaco you would need to stop your car in front of the Union hotel and go accross the street and look up at the building. It wasn't that bad to look at yet she was charged /fined and jailed. There are hundreds of properties in far worse shape than that one was and still are. Ryan told the judge what he wanted and got his way, is that the kind of justice you want in the city courts? Works well with the DA doesn't it? He proved what he is guess Baker IS the best choice, you can vote him out the next election if he doesn't practice justice for all.

I don't remember this case at all. After reading these comments, I don't think I have enough of the facts of the case, to be able to judge the reasonableness, or UNreasonableness of the judges actions. Is the fact that the lady was 70 years old really pertinent? I'm sure there are many 70 year olds who are capable of defying the law for no good reason except that they want to. What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with their minds, and they are perfectly capable of understanding what they are supposed to do. (like get the outside of their building brought up to standards, for instance).

If she couldn't afford to repair the place, couldn't she then just lock the door and walk away from the place? That is abandon it? It appears that many, many people do that all the time here in Binghamton. I think there are many buildings here in Binghamton that have not been used in years, and appear to be abandoned. I just fail to see what her age should have to do with anything.

Please fill me in on any pertinent facts of the case that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Here's a pertinent fact that you are obviously unaware of....If you think that since she could not afford to fix the siding on the building she should then abandon it, then you have some major comprehension issues. Ask Vanna to buy a vowel.

Let's go back to the Matt Ryan quote to WBNG,where he said that " It has been at least two years" well there has been many properties especially owned by the Kradjean family that fall under Mattys words and those were right on Main Street. Furthermore Ryan had the balls to tip a few at the unions fund raiser a few days after the fact. Selective enforcement at its best!

I want all to know Mike Baker is the choice from us here at BCV for City Court Judge! The man is down to earth and came to me sat down with me and talked about why he's running with NO ARROGANCE ABOUT HIM.

I like what he had to say and i like the man. He deserves a chance to prove himself. So my support goes out to Mike Baker. He's struck me to be a fair person and will get my vote!

As will others running, We here at BCV will be giving our assessments for all to formulate your own opinions.

Great job F. Lee Bailey for reminding everybody about this. Of course I remember this incident, but filed it in the back of my brain and needed this wake up call. Attention spans just keep getting shorter and shorter these days...

Mike Baker needs to go to town with this one. Just one slickly produced commercial wins him the election. Think George HW Bush and his attack ad. This and Dukakis in that tank pretty much won him the 1988 Presidential election

A little history about Willie Horton. Al Gore first mentioned the weekend furlough program during the 88 dem primary. Al didn't win that one.

Also, this wasn't a George Bush sponsored add. It was done by another group.

Archived