Respect the ride.

Bill

52 minutes ago, Bill said:

I have been noticing signs that ask automobile drivers to respect the ride of motorcyclists. How about if these same riders respect the peace and quiet of our road ways.

Exactly. Or how about they obey the lanes on the highway instead of weaving in and out of traffic or driving in between vehicles.

If loud pipes save lives then why not take the mufflers off every vehicle on the road? Let’s all enjoy that safety.   

I say the ridiculously loud pipes are an attention seeking mechanism.  Ooh Ooh look at me I has a shiny expensive motorcycle.  Good for you... Don’t fucking care... 

HD is now coming out with a full on electric rig.  The performance stats look very impressive.  I wonder how that’ll be presented to the loud pipe attention seekers.  Will it have a recording of loud pipes they can blare to stroke their egos?   

Also... what is the deal with motorcycles driving around with those blindingly bright high beams on all the time?  I don’t know if there is a legal limit for how bright a lamp can be for on road use, but I’ve seen rigs with aftermarket setups that leave me seeing spots.  I get that you want to be seen, but blinding me as I’m driving towards you doesn’t make anyone safer.  Its not much better when they tailgate and light up your entire car interior.  Its just more “look at me”.  Isn’t it against the law to use your high beams within so many feet of another vehicle, oncoming or otherwise? They seem to enjoy endangering others for their safety.  

2 hours ago, Property & Casualty said:

Also... what is the deal with motorcycles driving around with those blindingly bright high beams on all the time?  I don’t know if there is a legal limit for how bright a lamp can be for on road use, but I’ve seen rigs with aftermarket setups that leave me seeing spots.  I get that you want to be seen, but blinding me as I’m driving towards you doesn’t make anyone safer.  Its not much better when they tailgate and light up your entire car interior.  Its just more “look at me”.  Isn’t it against the law to use your high beams within so many feet of another vehicle, oncoming or otherwise? They seem to enjoy endangering others for their safety.  

I ride and question that myself.  When the state published the riders manual, they say to run high beams, but lighting technology has come a long way.  I question what manufacturers are putting on cars now.  Some of those are downright blinding.  I won't even get into the idiots that put those LED bars on their pickups and drive with them on.

2 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

I ride and question that myself.  When the state published the riders manual, they say to run high beams, but lighting technology has come a long way.  I question what manufacturers are putting on cars now.  Some of those are downright blinding.  I won't even get into the idiots that put those LED bars on their pickups and drive with them on.

Yes, those light bars are bad as well.  

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

In 1982 I had a sweet Suzuki GS650EX (four cylinder cafe racer w/short/straight bar, Mikuni jets and a Yoshimura header) and I realized it was only a matter of time before I would kill myself.  The speedometer went to 100 mph at 3,500 rpm and I took it up to 6,000 rpm red line repeatedly.   It was on or off with the throttle.  Dumped it once (smashed a Sampson helmet when I hit a tree after sliding across a lawn - crushing my c1 - c3 vertebra - paying for that every AM and PM now) and rebuilt the side that was scraped away and sold it.  A lot of fun but there was no way my personality would survive if I had kept it.  Your results may very.

:) I never really cared for riding on a motorcycle. I took too many serious spills racing my first 2 wheeler then my ten speed. My parents were heavy handed with the MECURO-CHROME and or merthiolate. Ouch.X10

I wish they would ban those led lights. Constant, severe pupil dilation and constriction while driving is blinding. 

Well, here's the thing. I don't ride a motorcycle.  I'm sure that it's fun and liberating.

Unfortunately, there are too many dumb-shits on the road with a whole lot more metal around them.

You lose, almost every time, if your're the biker.

Risk assessment, plain and simple.

I enjoy motorcycles, but when I see one weaving in and out of traffic or just generally driving like a fool, it makes me realize that they give the rest of us a bad name. And to be honest, there's just way too many yuppies and ancient fellow hippies out there riding bikes as status symbols that are just more than they can handle. They give other motorcyclists a bad name too. Been quite a while since we owned a  motorcycle, but I agree, no matter who is in the wrong, the bike loses almost every time.