Maines Paper and Candy What's going on???? Sold???

Independent

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dolphin Girl said:

Filed for bankruptcy.  Employees were not given their vacation pay, no medical insurance, etc.  POS Maines! 

That is terrible...wouldn't they have rights under the WARN act? Just what we need. I hope Mayor David reaches out to the employees who are City of Binghamton homeowners.

How can they get out of paying accrued paid time off let alone severance? Can't a bankruptcy judge force them to pay it?

1 minute ago, DanCooper said:

When does naming rights expire on the Arena? I nominate it be named in memory of Senator Libous.

I nominate it returns to it’s original name. 

I’m long tired of corporate names on sports venues. Plus, If I ever hit Mega-Millions or Powerball for 8 figures I am buying the board advertising rights in the Arena and the outfield wall advertising rights at our minor-league baseball stadium. The Arena boards will be all white like the old days and the outfield walls will be blue. 

The ads can be above the arena seats and not on or in the baseball field. Just like the old days. 

Too bad....as a kid I remember their humble beginnings in our downtown Binghamton neighborhood on Sherman Place (Columbus Park East). Maines Candy & Paper Company.....the old green strucuture still stands there all alone behind St Mary's Recreation Center. Feel for the workers. 

Oh......and I nominate that the Arena  NOT be named after Tom Libous. Or any other local politician for that matter. Look around at what's happened to this upstate community in the last five decades under ALL of their watches!! No local politician has made a significant difference....certainly not one of any long term consequence....and especially not one of greater good tax relief to spur private sector business/job growth.....homeownership. Look around. 

1 hour ago, PeteMoss said:

All 4 big name companies that started here are basically done.  IBM, Maines, Singer Link and Dicks.

Don't forget Ansco - GAF - Anitec - "poof".  Supplier to Mathew Brady of the Civil War image fame and "official" film of ALL the lunar landings and an Oscar winner for the acetate gels used in feature animations.  Gone in a flash . . . so to speak.

Does anyone know the facts behind why they went belly up?  I could understand a dropoff in business because of covid but this is a pretty large enterprise that one would think could take a short term hit - what were the underlying issues that were there prior to covid?

The judge needs to make them pay those people their accrued time off and 8 weeks or more severance. So inappropriate to think they are walking away from the very property taxpayers that paid them to stay here. It was a symbiotic relationship that deserves consideration from the court.